Jimmies and Joes > Xs and Os

RunInRed

22 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I’m not so sure about that. Clemson had no problem dispelling prominent college powerhouses during their championship runs outside of a last second win over bama. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Alabama (including Sabans worst loss during his tenure at bama). The ACC is weaker, but it didn’t keep them from kicking some major a$$ to win titles. 

Yeah, but when you think about championship teams—even some of the dominant ones uat has put up over the past 15 years—they usually have at least one game a season in which everything goes wrong and they have to hang on by their fingernails to survive that one game.

Our 2010 team had a few of those.  Hell, we didn't win against Kentucky that year so much as they lost.  Same with MSU.

Yet we were able to beat good uat and Oregon teams to win the title.

In 2013 we had two miracle plays in one season to make the title game.

Anyway, the point is that when you play in a harder conference the chances that you don't survive those "survival games" to get a chance to play a top opponent in the championship game are higher.  As are the chances of injury to key players over the course of a season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sad and petty, thanks for reinforcing your reputation.

You're right though. I did support both hires...and moved on once they proved themselves. Why? Because that's what would've been best for Auburn.

You, however, haven't supported either of them at a single point in either tenure.  From either's announcement you've spewed your vitriol all over the place for anyone to listen. Pushing rumors, fanning flames, and tearing them down every chance you had. You should be really proud of being right, though!

I had hope they both would be successful and lead Auburn into the future. How silly of me to want what's best for Auburn, right?  You, on the other hand, have proven extensively that Auburn comes in 2nd behind your desire to be told you're right.

So you were right about Green and Harsin.

That said, never supporting Green or Harsin, championing every misstep, and never giving them a chance is well, Sad and petty. Again, congratulations!

Like I said, 100% the fan that Auburn doesn't need.

Also FTR, I'd rather support and be hopeful and be proven wrong 1000 times than never support and happen to be right.

Man the truth hurts you. I’m sorry you’re so miserable about all of this. It’s good news though, we have a new school president, a new AD and soon a new head football coach. 

All you have left now are personal insults. As I learned at a debate class in Auburn: you know you won the debate when your opponent begins hurling personal insults because that’s all they have left.

Cheer up though, better times are ahead for you!

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Would like to hear some interviews with Fabianich and Larrondo. Have they been seen since hiring? Is this all heading where they intended? Is this just running like a well-oiled machine? I'd expect some of them to start jumping ship to gain some distance before the the life rafts start disappearing.

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

As I learned at a debate class in Auburn: you know you won the debate when your opponent begins hurling personal insults because that’s all they have left.

Interesting you found it insulting. I thought it very factually based and truthful. Then again, two things can be right at once.

As I've learned in life; Anyone that has to explain why they won something, already knows what everyone else already knew.

Maybe one day you'll choose Auburn over your feelings towards her personnel.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

However, on this list that you apparently approve of, it shows that in the last 5 years we have had two composite 5* recruits, Bo and OP...both from 2019. Not a single one since.

Try to keep up. The question was how many in the last 5 years, 10 years,  15 years. Here's a shocker: There were none last year. DUH! What does that have to do with the original question? Nothing, and your list from the last five years has nothing to do with it either.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

So please, tell me again why me liking a factually based comment....

Your own post proves that the comment you liked wasn't factually based. You like "Three Fingers" and then say you agree with a list that has many 5* prospects on it. I'm not the one who has lost touch with reality.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, RunInRed said:

Chaser: And for those of you who insisted on defending ADAG, he recommended hiring this bozo, largely based on a swimming pool conversation.

Yes, and I've been wondering when Greene would begin getting some heat over it.  He deserves credit for helping retain and extend Bruce Pearl when President Leath wanted to fire him.  But he deserves criticism for hiring Harsin and setting the football program back.

• Like 1

i know one thing here. until auburn pulls together from the top guys to the average fan all we are doing is killing ourselves. it is poison and it all affects the team.it affects everything concerning the team. when people are weary from what we have been dealing the last two or more years it is killing us. we seem to be more interested in who committed what crime and calling them out on it than pulling together to see how we can turn this around. if the money guys are not together we are toast. all this arguing and fighting on so many different things often makes me think some folks just want to argue. some people on here are fighting to  win a point that will not ever help the team. and i am not throwing every single poster on here under the bus because some make valid points. but i think we have gotten nasty on here and it appears too many people enjoy it. i would love to see us pulling together moving forward.

Speaking of Jimmies and Joes, the best Jimmy (or Joe) in the history of AU football was one Mr. Jim Fyffe, who was the voice of AU football when I was a student there.

RIP Jim Fyffe.

I most remember him saying this (paraphrasing): "If you don't like the way I call games and get emotional, then don't listen".

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Both alive and dead?

It's not both alive and dead.  A cat is not a sub-atomic particle and therefore is not subject to assuming simultaneous yet contradictory states.  Electrons can roam between states, but cats cannot.

That cat is either alive or dead.  Not both.

• Like 1

When Harsin was hired, many of us expected his successes to scale when provided the resources that are afforded to Auburn. Instead it seems he's literally building Auburn as he would at Boise.

I'm confident if we give him time, he can have us competing for and winning championships regularly... well... Mountain West championships that is. 

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 9:11 AM, eaglenest said:

Cole, the night it was announced that Allen Greene was the new AD, the phones were ringing in my inner circle, and it was across the board that he would be looked at as the next Barack Obama. Now the pitch forks are out to tear him down and strip and replaced everything he has done, it's what they do, Auburn is foul and nothing good will come from it. 

Whatever.  This has nothing to do with the fairy tale u are spinning.

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, Mikey said:

Try to keep up. The question was how many in the last 5 years, 10 years,  15 years. Here's a shocker: There were none last year. DUH! What does that have to do with the original question? Nothing, and your list from the last five years has nothing to do with it either.

Your own post proves that the comment you liked wasn't factually based. You like "Three Fingers" and then say you agree with a list that has many 5* prospects on it. I'm not the one who has lost touch with reality.

He’s so butt hurt Gus is a better coach than Harsin, this is all he has.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:52 AM, bigbird said:

Interesting you found it insulting. I thought it very factually based and truthful. Then again, two things can be right at once.

As I've learned in life; Anyone that has to explain why they won something, already knows what everyone else already knew.

Maybe one day you'll choose Auburn over your feelings towards her personnel.

Lol, You have a couple problems.

1. You hate Gus more than you love Auburn. 

2. You just can’t get fully into the acceptance stage on Harsin. I think you have passed denial at least but you’re still hovering around depression and anger. I would encourage you to just take that giant leap into acceptance and move on.

On a sidenote: haven’t/didn’t see you comment much on the Missouri game today. You OK?

On 9/22/2022 at 3:27 AM, TeamZero77 said:

You got me to thinking about all of our past 5 star recruits so I just looked on 247 rankings and here are all of our 5 star players since 2000 in order from highest rated (points wise) on down.

Byron Cowart (He was ranked as the #1 overall player in the country that year)

Derrick Brown

Michael Dyer

Tray Blackmon

Montravius Adams 

Cadillac Williams 

Christian Westerman

Carl Lawson

Roc Thomas

Owen Pappoe

Calvin Ashley

Tre' Williams 

Trovon Reed

Bo Nix

Ben Obomanu

Jason Campbell

LaMarcus Rowell

247 had Tank Bigsby, Kodi Burns, Kiehl Frazier and Kerryon Johnson as 4 stars but other services rated them 5 stars. 

Also, Cam Newton and Eltoro Freeman were 5 stars out of high school but we got them through JUCO route.

Most of these were 4 stars. 247 did not come into existence until 2010 and rated compositely after the fact. 

On 9/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, bigbird said:

Precisely!

A top ten class is great, but when it's rated based off of receivers, TEs, and DBs then your roster will quickly sour.  That's exactly what happened.

2016: 9th and we signed one OG(Hamm) and converted two DT(Sammons and Manning) the last DNF

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/season/2016-football/commits/

2017: 10th and we signed 3. Ashley, Trox, Brahms, and converted Jackson from DT. (Ashley and Brahms DNF)

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

2018: 12th and we signed 2 guards, Irvin and Stutts.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

2019: 13th and we signed 2 guards Jones  Bell, and Osborne (Osborne and Bell DNF) 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

2020: 8th and we signed 5. Zierer, Jernigan, coffee, johnson, and Wright 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

2021: 18th and we signed 2. One OT and One swing OT/G in Smith and Langlo 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

2022: 21st and we signed 1 OT in Eston Harris. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

We haven't had or tried to build any depth across the OL for years. This isn't a new thing.  It is funny though hearing some bolster Gus' recruiting classes and then in the same breath admonish CBH for his poor OL recruiting. Like it's the exact same and it was defended for years.  What changed?

12 OL signed in the last 5 years COMBINED!!!!!!    That’s awful numbers!!!!   Even if they were all 5 stars, that’s just unacceptable!  We should be signing 5-6 every year!!!!   Not to mention at least a couple of those being OTs.  
And yes, anyone defending Gus’ OL recruiting, or anything about Harsin’s recruiting (except maybe RB) is delusional.  

• Thanks 1