Freeze off the board?

W.E.D

I didn't want Freeze to begin with, but even if the buyout isn't too big for Auburn, it's likely more than it was before he signed the contract.

If Auburn was talking to Freeze or at least reached out to gauge interest, signing a new contract isn't a move you make if you're flirting with other schools.

To me, this means Freeze is off the board and I'm not the least bit upset about it 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Has Freeze signed the contract?   You know sometimes it takes those lawyers several months to "look over" the contract, but I do hope this means we are looking harder at Dion.   

I had the same thought. 

3 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Dion can do the one thing that we have to have right now.   He can get the Jimmy and Joe's.    We can hire him assistants to take care of the X's and O's.

I totally agree. There are only a few coaches that can come in and immediately compete against Saban and Smart. To my knowledge, only one is currently available. There are a few others who could possibly compete enough to survive and prove themselves long term, but to butt heads immediately, I can only think of one that is available. JMO & WDE

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The new contract is just a win/win situation.  Freeze is covered if he doesn't land a new gig.  Liberty makes a couple extra bucks if he does.  Of course they'll sign it even if it only lasts a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

It changes literally nothing. You think Freeze waited this long and now he's signing a contract at Liberty that is going to put him out of play from a potential return to an SEC school lol? C'mon man.

Whether or not we hire Freeze will depend on Roberts and his willingness to approve that hire. It will have nothing to do with whatever marginal increase just happened with his buyout. His buyout will be a non issue if that's the direction we decide to go.

What about the SEC?

@DAG: Again, what if Free Shoes fires Norvell?

Edited by AUwent

43 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Dion can do the one thing that we have to have right now.   He can get the Jimmy and Joe's.    We can hire him assistants to take care of the X's and O's.

This just screams "We're looking to hire a temporary head coach that we can fire in a few years when we get better players". Sure, let's look to pay out another massive buyout, and then start from square one again with a better cupboard....likely filed with borderline problem recruits. That sounds like a great plan for Auburn right now.

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

What about the SEC?

@DAG: Again, what if Free Shoes fires Norvell?

what has FSU done to address Jimbo's concerns since he left? How have they improved their facilities and program? Compare that to the conference Auburn is in and the fact that he'll get to christen a brand new facility and compete with the biggest dogs in the sport. I know FSU is his momma, but Auburn could be his daddy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

If it happens, it happens

OK! But can you see then how we may have very good reasons if it's Grimes?

Edited by AUwent

19 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

This just screams "We're looking to hire a temporary head coach that we can fire in a few years when we get better players". Sure, let's look to pay out another massive buyout, and then start from square one again with a better cupboard....likely filed with borderline problem recruits. That sounds like a great plan for Auburn right now.

Seriously 😒

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

OK! But can you see then how we may have very good reasons if it's Grimes?

No

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

No

Ok. FSU beats us out for Deion, SEC doesn't allow us to hire Freeze, Kiffin predictably refuses to come here, Rhule wants to take a year off/in the studio because of all his buyout $--all of these are extremely possible. What's your plan then?

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok. FSU beats us out for Deion, SEC doesn't allow us to hire Freeze, Kiffin predictably refuses to come here, Rhule wants to take a year off/in the studio because of all his buyout $--all of these are extremely possible. What's your plan then?

FSU is not beating us out on Deion because they aren't firing their coach. That is one.

Two: Sankey is not stopping Auburn from hiring from Freeze.

Three: If Auburn wants to outbid LK we can

Grimes is the fifth option. And probably #1, If Auburn chooses not to get out of their own way.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

If it happens, it happens

I'm very serious about this, what is he saying. Like what is his goal? What point is being made? I really don't understand and I'm curious. It seems like you may know?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm very serious about this, what is he saying. Like what is his goal? What point is being made? I really don't understand and I'm curious. It seems like you may know?

What I'm saying is not everything is "just Auburn being Auburn"--the boosters hiding in the shadows working tirelessly to sabotage us--like many of our fans make it out to be. Funny how there's only one sport we "can't get out of our own way" in, hmm?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

What I'm saying is not everything is "just Auburn being Auburn"--the boosters hiding in the shadows working tirelessly to sabotage us--like many of our fans make it out to be. Funny how there's only one sport we "can't get out of our own way" in, hmm?

That has nothing with this narrative you painted. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Finding loopholes for Grimes 

The fact that Deion has recruited a few notable black athletes to a historically black university is no guarantee that he can recruit top athletes to a white university like Auburn. And there's no evidence that he can assemble a coaching staff and win in a Power 5 conference, especially the cutthroat SEC West. Personally, I'd be surprised by the hire, although I'd be happy enough with him as a replacement for Harsin.

And I don't think Freeze is gonna be the guy. Again, I could be surprised. I just don't see it happening.

The biggest, baddest, bestest hire would, IMO, be Matt Rhule. Instant recruiting cred and could probably assemble a very good group of assistant coaches.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

FSU beats us out for Deion

I’ll be the first to give you credit if that happens, but I do not see that happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AURex said:

The fact that Deion has recruited a few notable black athletes to a historically black university is no guarantee that he can recruit top athletes to a white university like Auburn. And there's no evidence that he can assemble a coaching staff and win in a Power 5 conference, especially the cutthroat SEC West. Personally, I'd be surprised by the hire, although I'd be happy enough with him as a replacement for Harsin.

And I don't think Freeze is gonna be the guy. Again, I could be surprised. I just don't see it happening.

The biggest, baddest, bestest hire would, IMO, be Matt Rhule. Instant recruiting cred and could probably assemble a very good group of assistant coaches.

I don’t think Rhule is coaching for nothing . He will at least take a year off.

13 minutes ago, AURex said:

A guy who skipped out on Temple.    Took over Baylor and skipped out on them just as soon as the NFL came calling.   Then fired from NFL.   Can Auburn not do better than this?   People are talking about loyalty or others skipping out on Auburn if they are hired! What makes you think this guy wouldn’t?  I don’t see loyalty in this guy whatsoever.  

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So is not everything you say about every other coach, can it not be said for grimes as well? And I've seen you say the booster stuff quite a few times.....I guess what's weird is you say it when literally nobody is talking about boosters. 

• Dislike 1