Freeze off the board?

W.E.D

19 minutes ago, AURex said:

The fact that Deion has recruited a few notable black athletes to a historically black university is no guarantee that he can recruit top athletes to a white university like Auburn. And there's no evidence that he can assemble a coaching staff and win in a Power 5 conference, especially the cutthroat SEC West. Personally, I'd be surprised by the hire, although I'd be happy enough with him as a replacement for Harsin.

And I don't think Freeze is gonna be the guy. Again, I could be surprised. I just don't see it happening.

The biggest, baddest, bestest hire would, IMO, be Matt Rhule. Instant recruiting cred and could probably assemble a very good group of assistant coaches.

😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

Dion can do the one thing that we have to have right now.   He can get the Jimmy and Joe's.    We can hire him assistants to take care of the X's and O's.

Are we willing to give him FULL control? That's my main question with AU because Deion is in position to ask for it. I think that's the biggest issue that we'd have in sealing the deal. Letting him keep his current staff as is b/c as he's stated in several interviews, one of his main reasons to continue to consider a Power 5 job is to get his assistants paid who have been loyal to him. They get paid little to nothing and he wants them to advance. Are fans and the administrative willing to sign off his current staff as is? 

I just don't have faith that our administration will be willing to be fully hands off with Deion due to his inexperience. And i think that's going to be his #1 requirement b/c he's going to tell them very quickly that YOUR WAY hasn't worked; that's why i'm here. Can they graciously handle Deion b/c he doesn't hold back. The recruiting aspect is great but can our administration truly handle someone like Deion is my question. 

• Like 4

Whenever there’s a pushback on Deion, again, one question:

If not beating our rivals is why we fired Gus, and with UGA now being elite its even harder, what candidates have the potential to directly challenge our rivals in recruiting and on the field? Ps Not Mississippi St. Big 3.  LSU (who will be improving), uga, bama.  4 and 5* elite hell.

If there’s any name besides Sanders (and maybe lane) - please list it. Otherwise I’m completely confused on why there’s still a debate - since that’s why we fired Gus and started this damn mess to begin with.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AURex said:

The fact that Deion has recruited a few notable black athletes to a historically black university is no guarantee that he can recruit top athletes to a white university like Auburn. And there's no evidence that he can assemble a coaching staff and win in a Power 5 conference, especially the cutthroat SEC West. Personally, I'd be surprised by the hire, although I'd be happy enough with him as a replacement for Harsin.

And I don't think Freeze is gonna be the guy. Again, I could be surprised. I just don't see it happening.

The biggest, baddest, bestest hire would, IMO, be Matt Rhule. Instant recruiting cred and could probably assemble a very good group of assistant coaches.

🤦

Edited by autiger88

• WarTiger changed the title to Freeze off the board?
1 hour ago, AURex said:

The fact that Deion has recruited a few notable black athletes to a historically black university is no guarantee that he can recruit top athletes to a white university like Auburn. 

Auburn has recruited major big time black athletes for decades -- deion would absolutely dominate in that arena and that is about as objective of a subjective fact as i can conceivably imagine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Thank you for ponying up to keep him Flames! :bow:

Well it was them but the push came from talks with his reps from WVU.  They were talking ~6.5 but not guaranteed and they haven't fired their coach yet...That was the rumor going around there at WVU earlier...

Auburn really needs to pull the trigger on Deion. It’s about recruiting and Deion will attract the attention of elite recruits. That will also take away some of the elites Bama and Uga have been getting without having to worry about us getting them. Deion has also proven to be a disciplinarian and is old school in his coaching. This is as “can’t miss” as it gets for me. What do we have to lose that the other candidates can offer that he can’t?

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I’ll be the first to give you credit if that happens, but I do not see that happening.

Got yourself a deal--one I hope you win!

Edited by AUwent

Everybody wanting us to hire Deion is just setting yourselves up to be very disappointed and mad. We aren't hiring Deion. I think if Deion goes anywhere it's going to be Georgia Tech. He lived in Atlanta, played for the Falcons and Braves, wouldn't even have to leave the city of Atlanta to recruit and the ACC is a helluva lot easier than the SEC West. He could turn Ga Tech around quick. He won't be going to Florida State either because they won't fire Norvell this year. The Ga Tech job is already open and I truly feel he goes there IF he leaves Jackson St. I wouldn't be surprised if he is still at Jackson St. next year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We went through all of this in the off season on here when Harsin was being "investigated" and I remember talking about how Auburn NEVER hires a big name football coach. NEVER!!! Bryan Harsin is the most accomplished coach we have hired at Auburn for football. He was 69-19 and had some Conference Championship's under his belt.

Shug Jordan was unknown

Barfield was Auburn O.C. 

Dye was at Wyoming

Bowden was at Samford

Tuberville was barely .500 at Ole Miss

Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State

Gus was 9-3 at Arky State

Harsin was 69-19 at Boise St.

We aren't gonna hire a big name or very accomplished head coach. We never have in the past, no matter who our AD has been, who our boosters or BOT have been. So y'all really think we are going to get a big name coach while we are paying Gus and Harsin's buyout?? Ain't happening.

Another thing, y'all laughed and blew it off yesterday when I said IF we fire Harsin, we will hire Clay Helton. I'll put ANY amount of money on it that Clay Helton is on our sidelines next year before Deion Sanders ever will be. Clay was an Auburn QB, he coached at USC, won the PAC12 title and a Rose Bowl and is now at Georgia Southern and is in driving distance from Auburn. And he will be cheap too. And trust me, money still matters to our boosters no matter how many billions they've got. Clay also wants to coach here. 

One last thing, has anybody else found it kinda strange that nobody that really matters has said Harsin is on the hot seat or will be fired? The only people saying he will be fired is us fans and some of the media says it looks bad for his future here. I do think he is gone after the Iron Bowl but don't be shocked if he is still here next year but is forced to change his coordinators like Tubs always had to. WDE

Btw, I don't want Clay Helton whatsoever. But I also know how Auburn hires and he fits what they would do. It's a "safe" hire is what they would probably say. If I had to bet my paycheck on the 3 names that would be on our final list, I would say Clay Helton, Will Muschamp and Jeff Grimes. All 3 have Auburn ties and 2 have head coaching experience at BIGTIME schools like USC and Florida. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Whenever there’s a pushback on Deion, again, one question:

If not beating our rivals is why we fired Gus, and with UGA now being elite its even harder, what candidates have the potential to directly challenge our rivals in recruiting and on the field? Ps Not Mississippi St. Big 3.  LSU (who will be improving), uga, bama.  4 and 5* elite hell.

If there’s any name besides Sanders (and maybe lane) - please list it. Otherwise I’m completely confused on why there’s still a debate - since that’s why we fired Gus and started this damn mess to begin with.

Freeze who beat the turds two years in a row with Ole Sis recruiting.

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

We went through all of this in the off season on here when Harsin was being "investigated" and I remember talking about how Auburn NEVER hires a big name football coach. NEVER!!! Bryan Harsin is the most accomplished coach we have hired at Auburn for football. He was 69-19 and had some Conference Championship's under his belt.

Shug Jordan was unknown

Barfield was Auburn O.C. 

Dye was at Wyoming

Bowden was at Samford

We aren't gonna hire a big name or very accomplished head coach. We never have in the past, no matter who our AD has been, who our boosters or BOT have been. So y'all really think we are going to get a big name coach while we are paying Gus and Harsin's buyout?? Ain't happening.

Another thing, y'all laughed and blew it off yesterday when I said IF we fire Harsin, we will hire Clay Helton. I'll put ANY amount of money on it that Clay Helton is on our sidelines next year before Deion Sanders ever will be. Clay was an Auburn QB, he coached at USC, won the PAC12 title and a Rose Bowl and is now at Georgia Southern and is in driving distance from Auburn. And he will be cheap too. And trust me, money still matters to our boosters no matter how many billions they've got. Clay also wants to coach here. 

One last thing, has anybody else found it kinda strange that nobody that really matters has said Harsin is on the hot seat or will be fired? The only people saying he will be fired is us fans and some of the media says it looks bad for his future here. I do think he is gone after the Iron Bowl but don't be shocked if he is still here next year but is forced to change his coordinators like Tubs always had to. WDE

Btw, I don't want Clay Helton whatsoever. But I also know how Auburn hires and he fits what they would do. It's a "safe" hire is what they would probably say. If I had to bet my paycheck on the 3 names that would be on our final list, I would say Clay Helton, Will Muschamp and Jeff Grimes. All 3 have Auburn ties and 2 have head coaching experience at BIGTIME schools like USC and Florida. 

So 2 complete failures and a guy who has never been a HC, all because they know where Auburn is on a map.  FFS.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

Dion can do the one thing that we have to have right now.   He can get the Jimmy and Joe's.    We can hire him assistants to take care of the X's and O's.

That's a hope. There's nothing to base it on. When Sanders has to compete with UAT and UGA for virtually every player on his wish list it will be a brand new game for him. Snagging one or two by selling the "make HBCU's great" pitch won't be available to him at Auburn.

He'd recruit better than Harsin, but then a blind turtle would recruit better than Harsin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Shug Jordan was unknown

Barfield was Auburn O.C. 

Dye was at Wyoming

Bowden was at Samford

You are exaggerating.

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Shug Jordan was unknown

Barfield was Auburn O.C. 

Dye was at Wyoming

Bowden was at Samford

I dont like it, but you have some valid points. I have been think "watch us end up with Boom as our HC" for a minute. CH had not crossed my mind though.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's a hope. There's nothing to base it on. When Sanders has to compete with UAT and UGA for virtually every player on his wish list it will be a brand new game for him. Snagging one or two by selling the "make HBCU's great" pitch won't be available to him at Auburn.

He'd recruit better than Harsin, but then a blind turtle would recruit better than Harsin.

You can downplay his recruiting all you want however you want, but any coach that can pull the #1 recruit in the country to JSU from the likes of FSU and UGA is a natural recruiter, period and will have a field day bringing talent to a place like AU in the SEC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Well Gus also only snagged one or two 5 stars a cycle so either way it goes he'd still be doing good. But I wouldn't imagine you could know the impact Sanders would have as far as kids and their parents trusting to come here

• Like 2