Coach Caddy's Job Interview Last Night

gr82be

18 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

I hurt for him that they didn't get the win last night. The way the game started it looked pretty disastrous, but they went to the half MADE ADJUSTMENTS (who ever heard such a thing) and came out and just about won the game.

I love Auburn, I love Caddy, and I love be how much he loves Auburn. Losing sucks but I'm so happy he got this opportunity and I also hope he gets to continue to grow with Auburn, whoever the next coach is.

First game this year there was a second half of football.

• Like 4

It's not my money, but I'd rather roll the dice on Caddy as HC than some of the candidates mentioned. He's got 3 more games to audition. If the team shows improvement and we whiff on an established coach, I'd be happy to have Caddy over some other coordinator or Group of 5 coach.

• Like 4

If we hired Caddy as HC, before he’s ready to be HC, then I am afraid some Auburn fans would turn on him if he didn’t succeed.  As a fan base, we can be pretty brutal.  

Do y’all think Caddy can keep up that energy until the season’s over? He wore me out just watching him!!! Someone commented that he got more yardage than the running backs!!! 😂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Carnell Williams had an interview last night that was aired live on national TV. As with many of us during job interviews, it started a little awkward and he looked a little lost but you could see his energy and enthusiasm right away. As the interview progressed he started to settle in a bit. Then at the midway point he was asked a question that he seemed caught off guard with but he just spoke from the heart. He said that no one was quitting. I believed him at that point and from that point forward he had people's attention. There was no quit, no finger pointing, no slumped shoulders and no drooped heads. He started really impressing us and his enthusiasm and excitement was contagious. His leadership qualities began to really stand out and his team responded. At the end he was given an opportunity to assess the results and he gave others credit for the successes and he took the blame for the shortcomings. That's how a true leader leads. 

Carnell Williams was interviewing on a live stage last night and he was interviewing for potential jobs all over the country. He may not be quite ready to assume HC duties at this moment at Auburn or anywhere else but he made such an impression that many teams looking to fill an opening might consider his potential at one of their "smaller" schools if Auburn's new leadership passes on him. I think that would be a mistake for Auburn but Cadillac will make someone a very good coach and sooner than later he should get the chance. He nailed his interview. Auburn doesn't need to lose him but sometimes people have to have a little distance between them to grow closer. Caddy is going to be a good one at some point. I hope he gets a chance to continue to grow at Auburn. 

It was very awkward.  I listened to it on Auburn radio.  The only sentence from the whole interview that I could fully understand was when he YELLED "We gotta run the damn ball!".  Ugh.  Not very becoming...

The rest of his interview was unintelligible.  His speech was difficult to understand.  I know he was excited, but if he wants a HC job one day, he has to be articulate and understandable. Especially when he has to pass interviews in a room full of people with MBA degrees.

I'm sorry if I'm offending any of you who were wearing Caddy's jersey last night.  I looked for mine but couldn't find it...

• Dislike 6

1 hour ago, AUfan3333 said:

Yes, I agree with these assessments. I really hope that Deion gets this job and knowing what Caddy means to the school and his leadership gives him the Associate Head Coach position. Deion would definitely not feel threatened by that.

Talk about hype and excitement. I’m 💯 on board here. 

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you lost me a fightint? not sure what you are talking about. i must have missed something?

Fighting together for Auburn 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Carnell Williams had an interview last night that was aired live on national TV. As with many of us during job interviews, it started a little awkward and he looked a little lost but you could see his energy and enthusiasm right away. As the interview progressed he started to settle in a bit. Then at the midway point he was asked a question that he seemed caught off guard with but he just spoke from the heart. He said that no one was quitting. I believed him at that point and from that point forward he had people's attention. There was no quit, no finger pointing, no slumped shoulders and no drooped heads. He started really impressing us and his enthusiasm and excitement was contagious. His leadership qualities began to really stand out and his team responded. At the end he was given an opportunity to assess the results and he gave others credit for the successes and he took the blame for the shortcomings. That's how a true leader leads. 

Carnell Williams was interviewing on a live stage last night and he was interviewing for potential jobs all over the country. He may not be quite ready to assume HC duties at this moment at Auburn or anywhere else but he made such an impression that many teams looking to fill an opening might consider his potential at one of their "smaller" schools if Auburn's new leadership passes on him. I think that would be a mistake for Auburn but Cadillac will make someone a very good coach and sooner than later he should get the chance. He nailed his interview. Auburn doesn't need to lose him but sometimes people have to have a little distance between them to grow closer. Caddy is going to be a good one at some point. I hope he gets a chance to continue to grow at Auburn. 

Great to see and feel energy on the sideline last night. Plus a team that played a second half for the first time in ages. Granted Moo State but Mike Leach has to tough to prepare for.

Edited by SaltyTiger

6 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

It was very awkward.  I listened to it on Auburn radio.  The only sentence from the whole interview that I could fully understand was when he YELLED "We gotta run the damn ball!".  Ugh.  Not very becoming...

The rest of his interview was unintelligible.  His speech was difficult to understand.  I know he was excited, but if he wants a HC job one day, he has to be articulate and understandable. Especially when he has to pass interviews in a room full of people with MBA degrees.

I'm sorry if I'm offending any of you who were wearing Caddy's jersey last night.  I looked for mine but couldn't find it...

He's got to get a handle on speaking to the media but he obviously can speak with impact to the players. I still think he impressed folks who were watching last night and he will continue to turn heads. 

• Like 3

This morning I’m just thrilled to be an Auburn Tiger. While the team didn’t win, they never gave up. We got into a bit of the hole while they were trying to find their footing. I could see a whole different team out there last night and I was proud of them. We didn’t have the horses because Harsin opened the door and run them off earlier but they showed their courage. I don’t know if Cadillac is ready for the HC permanently but he will be shortly. That said we have to go round up some talent to replace what we lost but with the portal and a strong NIL, I think we can do that soon. But all I got to say this morning is WAR DAMN EAGLE !!!

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I could definitely get on board with that. Good grief at the recruiting prowess a staff led by Deion and Carnell would have...

This. I really think with the enthusiasm both of them bring to the table it would be a home run hire. On top of that it wouldn’t take a mega million long term deal to get either one on board. I think it would be worth next year to see what they could do. WDE🦅🦅🦅

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I could definitely get on board with that. Good grief at the recruiting prowess a staff led by Deion and Carnell would have...

My goodness, that would be like Auburn getting the winning Powerball numbers. 

• Like 1

Had to help someone with a MBA in business buy a car, did not appear to understand anything about the process.

Will always be a Carnell Williams fan, go crazy Cadillac!

• Like 1

If last night was the first interview, Caddy gets an A for having the team emotionally up for the game.   He gets a D for game management.   Several plays that he called that most on this board were ready to throw Harsin from the mountain top for doing.   And most of all, anyone can see that Anders can’t kickoff anymore.   Why is he still out there?   Get him off the kickoff team.   Hell, I don’t trust him on making FG’s either.  

• Like 1

He had a couple decisions that were costly no doubt but the analytics guy following him around with the binder had the data there and they obviously decided during the week they wouldn't deviate from the analytics. Honestly, not being able to get 1 yard in any circumstance I feel is more at the feet of the blockers than the decision. It felt like we needed a spark and he went for it. He can't block for them. While that gave them 7 points the kickoff return for TD was the real difference and X factor in the game. Can't give up points on special teams. That's the type of stuff that swings games

• Like 3

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

I admire his passion and he is EXACTLY what we need right now. But…please don’t think I’m blasphemous here…he came off a little manic at times. Sometimes a team needs a little more composure at the end of games to get it done. 

i have no doubt Caddy will learn these lessons, but I’d rather see him do it as an assistant than as a head coach for now. Is that ok to say?

He certainly looked like he wanted to tote the rock last night 

• Like 1

Just now, passthebiscuits said:

I admire his passion and he is EXACTLY what we need right now. But…please don’t think I’m blasphemous here…he came off a little manic at times. Sometimes a team needs a little more composure at the end of games to get it done. 

i have no doubt Caddy will learn these lessons, but I’d rather see him do it as an assistant than as a head coach for now. Is that ok to say?

of course you do. i for one appreciate what you bring to the table.

Even though the end score was not what we all wanted, I was extremely proud of Caddy and the team. I joked with one of my coworkers, who was in attendance,  that AU might need to go into the stands for players or coaches, so be prepared. I am impressed they did as much with so much less than MSU. 

Does he need some CEO polish, yeah and he is still learning. Leadership takes awhile to learn with most of that curve coming from mistakes, exposure, and time-in the role. Sometimes we all have to reflect on what it was like when we first started to manage and lead teams in our professional roles. Most coaches end up at Saban's mentorship program... Caddy probably has been thrown more into the fire than having the opportunity to experience mentorship by leading AU role models.

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I go back to my response about Carnell as permanent HC: we could do worse. I just think we could probably do better, too, and I think Carnell needs time, either as AHC here or taking over a smaller school's HC job for a while. 

And now that I've gotten in my own head, the more I think of Deion + Carnell, the more I like it.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Not asking for him to be an orator.  He’s a football coach, and a mentor of young men.  I could give a crap  how eloquent he is.  He’s ten times the man than the the last one that sat and gave a post game presser. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I love Caddy and his passion. Despite the outcome last night was fun and reignited my passion for Auburn football. 

But he isn’t ready to lead a big time program in the SEC. He just isn’t. I hope he is retained and gets more experience under (hopefully) a new great coach. 

Not out of the question that he’s walking our sideline one day as the HC permanently but it won’t be this go around.

I'm 100% on the Caddy bandwagon.

He would recruit his ass off.

He would do whats best for Auburn and the team

My main concern would who he knows and who could he get to come be his OC and DC.  

Edit to add I don't care if Caddy spoke spanish and no one understood him.  He's dean of the football program not the English department.  Caddy would look right at home in those Ford truck commercials.

Edited by Win4AU