Coach Caddy's Job Interview Last Night

gr82be

1 minute ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Okay so no one was willing to play ball w the dell mcgee question, lets try this one for fun.

Hypothetical 

Caddy wins out and beats Saban

what then?

He gets what he should get, an interview to be the RB coach for the next regime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't think he's as green as you think he is......

Oh I would love to hear more on this...

He has been a RB coach at IMG. Then hired as RB coach at AU in 2018. His only CFB coaching experience is at AU as RB coach. I think he was a grad assistant at somewhere for a brief stint as well. That's it. How is that not green? I am not referring to him being green in the knowledge of football, but coaching is a different animal. Head Coach is a different animal from that. HC in the SEC is an entirely different beast. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taker said:

My thoughts and hope is that whoever the next HC is that they will retain CCW and make him a CIW or AHC and allow him to continue to evolve into the HC when the next coach ultimately moves on. 

That’s always one of the key job requirements (among others) of a head coach…to mentor and coach their coaches. A good HC gives direction, provides input, listens and genuinely evaluates an assistant coach’s performance. If the assistance coach aspires to be a HC then more duties are assigned accordingly. 

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Caddy might not be ready.  Probably isn't ready.  But no one on this board saying that Caddy isn't ready saw Jimbo being 3-6 and having the worst losing streak at A&M for the past 42 years or saw Cristobal coach the worst home loss EVER in the history of Hurricane football.   The point is what are the exact ingredients that makes for a successful HC?  CPD coached at Wyoming and East Carolina.   Is that what set him up for success?   Pat was successful because of his intense, non-stop work effort.   Pat was successful because he made our kids believe in themselves, and he motivated them.   Pat was successful because he had this way about him that made you not want to disappoint him.   Pat was successful because he came from a humble background and was able to relate to kids who were similar to him.  Pat was successful because he knew exactly what to say and when to say it.   Pat was successful because he had a great disdain for failure.    When in the recent past have we looked better after halftime?  When in the recent past have we seen true emotion during the game and after a loss?   This man had a depleted staff and 3 days to install a game plan for an SEC road game.   This team had every reason to quit after the first half.   They didn't.   They rose up.  Someone said he needed more experience with X's and O's.   The man spent 8 years playing as a professional.    4 years playing in the SEC.     I suspect his X's and O's are more sound than our past 4 HCs.   Someone apparently said he isn't a great orator.   Go get 8 hours of sleep in a week, coach an overtime loss on the road and give your first ever presser.   That man was talking to the kids in that loser's locker room.   I thought what he said and how he said it was well above average.   He didn't utter a single Awwwight.   And, Meta your take that it is idiocy to even consider him....   Leaders aren't made.   Leaders are born.   The fact that one of the first things Caddy said is we had 8 men saved Friday night so we can't lose on Saturday.   This man is a leader of men.   He may not be our next coach, but people who think he should be considered are not idiots.

Now you’ve got me crying!!! I do think we should just ride these next 3 games and be nothing but positive. Support the coach and the kids.  Don’t pick it all apart.  Let them give it their all and we give it back to them. Be PROUD to be Auburn Tigers.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I love Caddy and I am glad he is our interm coach.  Couldn't think of no one better.  Having said that, he is a position coach on a football staff, not a head coach at this point.  Could he become a future OC or head coach in the future, sure but he is not the right choice to lead the program past this season as the head guy.   I do hope that whoever is named head coach, keeps him on the staff, as I hope the same for Zack and Ike.  Caddy is a true Auburn man and loves his players, the school, and is truly grateful for the opportunities that he has been given.  Nobody will out-Auburn Caddy.  Still hoping for Deion.  Will be fine with Kiffin. Will yawn if Grimes.  Will swallow hard if Freeze.  I believe it will be one of those guys, but who really knows.  We've seen how these things have played out in the past.

• Like 2

i am not going to mince any words here. if they which includes the new coach lets caddy go i will be mad and hurt. people are getting 5 to 8 to 10 million a year so how big a cut is caddy going to get. those kids believe in him and we have what half a team left? and many of those were not highly rated. i think caddy has the "it" factor. give him a right hand man like harsin had and get him the best assistants we can find and give him a real shot. i know it is a pipe dream but i feel the man has earned it. but if we allow him to get away from auburn i will be sad for a long long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Caddy might not be ready.  Probably isn't ready.  But no one on this board saying that Caddy isn't ready saw Jimbo being 3-6 and having the worst losing streak at A&M for the past 42 years or saw Cristobal coach the worst home loss EVER in the history of Hurricane football.   The point is what are the exact ingredients that makes for a successful HC?  CPD coached at Wyoming and East Carolina.   Is that what set him up for success?   Pat was successful because of his intense, non-stop work effort.   Pat was successful because he made our kids believe in themselves, and he motivated them.   Pat was successful because he had this way about him that made you not want to disappoint him.   Pat was successful because he came from a humble background and was able to relate to kids who were similar to him.  Pat was successful because he knew exactly what to say and when to say it.   Pat was successful because he had a great disdain for failure.    When in the recent past have we looked better after halftime?  When in the recent past have we seen true emotion during the game and after a loss?   This man had a depleted staff and 3 days to install a game plan for an SEC road game.   This team had every reason to quit after the first half.   They didn't.   They rose up.  Someone said he needed more experience with X's and O's.   The man spent 8 years playing as a professional.    4 years playing in the SEC.     I suspect his X's and O's are more sound than our past 4 HCs.   Someone apparently said he isn't a great orator.   Go get 8 hours of sleep in a week, coach an overtime loss on the road and give your first ever presser.   That man was talking to the kids in that loser's locker room.   I thought what he said and how he said it was well above average.   He didn't utter a single Awwwight.   And, Meta your take that it is idiocy to even consider him....   Leaders aren't made.   Leaders are born.   The fact that one of the first things Caddy said is we had 8 men saved Friday night so we can't lose on Saturday.   This man is a leader of men.   He may not be our next coach, but people who think he should be considered are not idiots.

Bingo!

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Caddy is not ready to be HC at Auburn. The interim role is just really valuable experience for him for the future. He is the right man for Auburn, right now, and I hope the new coach will keep him at Auburn. If he doesn't get to stay on then I think he did a great job selling himself last night for other schools, but not as head coach. Auburn must nail this hire and Caddy isn't that hire at this time. I'm thinking he would say that too. His love for Auburn isn't blind love. 

Agreed. I said to my wife last night that I’d bet he really doesn’t expect an interview, let alone a full time HC job offer. I’m convinced he knows he’s overwhelmed, he’s nowhere near ready, and I respect the F out of what he’s done in three days. 

I’d love to see him pay his dues, climb the ladder, either here or elsewhere, and become a HC in due time. I’d rather not see him skip all the steps and set himself up for failure at this level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Okay so no one was willing to play ball w the dell mcgee question, lets try this one for fun.

Hypothetical 

what then?

I don’t think Dell should be HC of AU…doesn’t have a commanding presence/ seems too timid in front of a camera.

• Thanks 1

Just playing devils advocate but careers of all aspects have changed especially last 10 years. Work ethic, passion and what’s between the ears far outweighs years on the job in many cases 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I admire his passion and he is EXACTLY what we need right now. But…please don’t think I’m blasphemous here…he came off a little manic at times. Sometimes a team needs a little more composure at the end of games to get it done. 

i have no doubt Caddy will learn these lessons, but I’d rather see him do it as an assistant than as a head coach for now. Is that ok to say?

https://giphy.com/gifs/marchmadness-march-madness-2019-9JislwGV1MCVEvaMOD

https://giphy.com/gifs/marchmadness-march-madness-2019-cs7i3I3RrAL1St1iFw

I love Caddy as much as anybody and I'm grateful he gave us a fun game last night and some hope for the rest of the season. 

But he should not even be considered for HC at Auburn. He's not at all qualified. 

I hope he is retained by the next HC as RB coach, with a nice raise, some additional responsibilities, and an additional title of some sort. Then let's give him some more time to develop and see what he can do in the future. Anything else is unfair to Auburn and to Caddy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I admire his passion and he is EXACTLY what we need right now. But…please don’t think I’m blasphemous here…he came off a little manic at times. Sometimes a team needs a little more composure at the end of games to get it done. 

i have no doubt Caddy will learn these lessons, but I’d rather see him do it as an assistant than as a head coach for now. Is that ok to say?

I understand that and i agree there's some truth to that. However, he took accountability and was probably on of the things he understood when he said he has to get better as a coach. However, if anyone deserves a pass it's Caddy. I'm sure he never thought in a million years he'd get thrusted into being the HC at Auburn anytime soon. This is a HUGE learning experience for him. And he did coach this team back from being down to almost winning. I literally got choked up watching his interviews and the video of him speaking to the team. This team needs some LIFE put back into it for the rest of the season! This team needs Caddy's encouragement and fire. People say they want Deion but if you go run some tape on him...you'll find that he may look like Caddy on the sidelines from time to time. Therefore, if that's who some may want then it may be something we see in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Now you’ve got me crying!!! I do think we should just ride these next 3 games and be nothing but positive. Support the coach and the kids.  Don’t pick it all apart.  Let them give it their all and we give it back to them. Be PROUD to be Auburn Tigers.   

We firmly agree on this one!!

6 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I was just re-reading through the "I think Dell McGee is the answer" thread

So many were onboard w that idea but definitely not Caddy. Why?

I would love to have both as position coaches for the next regime. 

4 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Hypothetical 

what then?

I’d give him a HC interview. It’s not the worst thing ever if he got hired. He’d at least have a staff of recruiters. I feel like there’s plenty of Auburn defensive minds that would be able to eventually stabilize that side of things. Not sure who he’d get at OC 

The thing about interviews is that you can prioritize them by importance. If you get through everyone else on your list and you got some free time or not that many names, why not kick the tires on Caddy? 

much like actual workplaces…you don’t always have to hire the people you interview 

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Just playing devils advocate but careers of all aspects have changed especially last 10 years. Work ethic, passion and what’s between the ears far outweighs years on the job in many cases 

Ed O got a ring, Dabo got multiple rings while not really offering anything in terms of on the field value but a hell of a lot in politicizing and program building, Pittman is doing a commendable job with Arkansas. I don’t think “just having the right traits” is replacing having real experience any time soon, but there’s been some recent successes out there that wouldn’t be too different in terms of Caddy’s way of head coaching 

Really glad to see Caddy bringing these guys together to finish out this season without the Harsin black cloud of gloom hanging over anymore.  Can't wait to see the crowd in JH this weekend when he and the team come out.  In no way is he ready to be the permanent head coach though.

• Like 3