Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

5 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Did you know that Saban  in his first year lost to........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind

He also lost homecoming to UAB while at lsu 😎

3 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Did you know that Saban  in his first year lost to........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind

Can't tell if this is a joke or not, but the OP likes it so I'll counter with: 

Freeze lost to Memphis in year 4 in his best season ever at Ole Miss. 

His final season, year 5, he had a losing record of 5-7. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Taker said:

Wait what? 

No, his wife had a relationship with Taylor Jacobs, who was on staff.

Edited by AUDevil

Just now, GreenTiger said:

You are really grabbing at straws here pal. It’s fine you don’t like his twitter game. His analytical bust play calls. His lack of energy or past failures.  Bit the dude wins and he is got a bunch of portal players at Ole Miss playing very well.

No one can predict what any coach will do in the future and it’s pointless to try. Auburn is in bad shape and needs a quick turnaround to try to catch up. Out of all the candidates and their pros and cons Lane seems like the most proven coach to get us back quickly. 

And that’s a fine take. I just don’t like people pretending Lane doesn’t have serious cons. He is a MAJOR risk. He’s Coach O with a social media presence. As another poster said, if you had told me 10 years ago we would be going after LANE freaking KIFFIN - and not only that, but talking him up as a home run hire - I’d be convinced everyone had gone insane.

But honestly, everybody is trying to talk up their fave candidate as if they’re a home run hire. Lane is a double at best. Heck, most all these candidates are doubles and singles at best - all with major red flags. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Can't tell if this is a joke or not, but the OP likes it so I'll counter with: 

Freeze lost to Memphis in year 4 in his best season ever at Ole Miss. 

His final season, year 5, he had a losing record of 5-7. 

Would I joke about Godwin's Law (modified)?

:D

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody’s answered my original question - who has had a successful career at a big job after cratering?

If we want another Chizik or Coach O so then that’s fine. But do you expect Lane to guide us for 15 years? I don’t want to keep going through 2012s and 2022s after someone turns us into a dumpster fire. 

The question has been answered. The answer is Lane Kiffen. You just don’t want to hear that. I mean yeah he could still implode at ol miss but that sure isn’t what is happening currently. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

But he never sank a program on the field.

Freeze hasn’t sank a team?

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2019/02/12/ole-miss-vacates-wins-ncaa-violations

Lane is immature on Twitter so hire this guy  

https://thespun.com/.amp/more/top-stories/look-awkward-video-of-reporter-deion-sanders-going-viral

Edited by Gowebb11

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

And that’s a fine take. I just don’t like people pretending Lane doesn’t have serious cons. He is a MAJOR risk. He’s Coach O with a social media presence. As another poster said, if you had told me 10 years ago we would be going after LANE freaking KIFFIN - and not only that, but talking him up as a home run hire - I’d be convinced everyone had gone insane.

But honestly, everybody is trying to talk up their fave candidate as if they’re a home run hire. Lane is a double at best. Heck, most all these candidates are doubles and singles at best - all with major red flags. 

It seems like I’ve got more confidence in him than you and that’s ok. I don’t think a rational person would say he is home run with no concerns but to your point… what coach doesn’t?  
Desperate times call for desperate measures and Lane could be the measure to get us out of the rut we are in the fastest. He is doing it at a lesser resourced program against the same competition. I could honestly see him at Auburn and enjoying kicking Saban into retirement in a couple of years and have a serious powerhouse of a program built.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He’s Coach O with a social media presence.

Oh come on.   LK is a major risk, yes, but he's 100x the Xs and Os coach that Ed O was or could ever be.   LK is sketchy in many ways, but he's an outstanding offensive mind. 

He’s Coach O with a social media presence. As another poster said, if you had told me 10 years ago we would be going after LANE freaking KIFFIN - and not only that, but talking him up as a home run hire - I’d be convinced everyone had gone insane.

I’m at the point of I don’t care who they hire.   But are you really comparing LK’s coaching acumen to Coach O? Or are you just comparing them both imploding at a school?   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Oh come on.   LK is a major risk, yes, but he's 100x the Xs and Os coach that Ed O was or could ever be.   LK is sketchy in many ways, but he's an outstanding offensive mind. 

And Ed was 100x the recruiter and motivator. We don’t have to get down to their exact coaching traits. The big commonality is they ran teams into the ground because they didn’t have the maturity, the organization, or straight up just didn’t know how to helm a major program.

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m at the point of I don’t care who they hire.   But are you really comparing LK’s coaching acumen to Coach O? Or are you just comparing them both imploding at a school?   

Both imploding. Like I said, Coach O was 100x the recruiter and locker room guy Lane is. Those cancel out to me. 

It’s just crazy to me. Pure and simple. When LSU wanted Orgeron I could not understand it. Lots of people couldn’t. He’d proven to be a disaster. And then of course that’s exactly what happened.

But now I understand. We’ve got Auburn folks doing the exact same thing. Lane left the Raiders in shambles with bridges burned. Lane left UT in shambles with bridges burned. He left Alabama with bridges burned.

But lo and behold! He was great at a C-USA school! Haven’t we learned our lesson on Go5 success? 

If Lane was a more mature guy and showed real signs of growth, then I’d be more open. But he’s TELLING us who he is. Ever heard the expression “when someone tells you who they are - believe them”?

• Like 1

Nobody’s answered my original question - who has had a successful career at a big job after cratering?

If we want another Chizik or Coach O so then that’s fine. But do you expect Lane to guide us for 15 years? I don’t want to keep going through 2012s and 2022s after someone turns us into a dumpster fire. 

Yes, they did, you missed it. Gene Stallings. Disastrous at ATM, and in the NFL, MNC at bammer. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is wrong btw. He finished 5-6 his last year at FSU.

Def imploded after averaging 10.4 wins per season. The horrors.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

And Ed was 100x the recruiter and motivator. We don’t have to get down to their exact coaching traits. The big commonality is they ran teams into the ground because they didn’t have the maturity, the organization, or straight up just didn’t know how to helm a major program.

LSU is an interesting case study of the past 4 years. Ed O got them a natty then bombed out which opened the door for Kelly. Who seems to be doing a pretty good job. 

15 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Yes, they did, you missed it. Gene Stallings. Disastrous at ATM, and in the NFL, MNC at bammer. 

After a 20 year hiatus from head coaching in college? That’s an extremely strange situation. It can also be argued he didn’t crater A&M in his tenure. They were awful when he took over. He had one mediocre 7 win season but basically kept the status quo if not slightly improving it.

2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

LSU is an interesting case study of the past 4 years. Ed O got them a natty then bombed out which opened the door for Kelly. Who seems to be doing a pretty good job. 

It’s the exact same scenario we had with Chizik.

Everybody knew he was a bad coach coming in - but he was beloved locally in AU. He won a natty then bombed. His replacement had immediate success. But unlike Malzahn, I think Kelly will maintain it.

But we should be looking for our KELLY not our Orgeron. 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Def imploded after averaging 10.4 wins per season. The horrors.

10 wins in the ACC. C’mon now. Jimbo is basically a fraud when separated from Jameis.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

10 wins in the ACC. C’mon now. Jimbo is basically a fraud when separated from Jameis.

FSU def picked up right where Jimbo left off...in the ACC.

Jameis had 8 seasons of eligibility?

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

How do you know this?

Because his 5 recruiting classes finished 7, 15, 6, 4, and 4. His last class that Kelly salvaged finished 7th. 

And the kids that played for him absolutely would run through a brick wall for the guy. 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

FSU def picked up right where Jimbo left off...in the ACC.

Jameis had 8 seasons of eligibility?

giphy.gif

If you want to hire Jimbo you’re more than welcome to have that stance. I mean with how you perceive his stay at FSU why wouldn’t you?

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If you want to hire Jimbo you’re more than welcome to have that stance. I mean with how you perceive his stay at FSU why wouldn’t you?

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Never have liked Jimbo, but he never imploded at FSU.

EMme.gif

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Taker said:

Dell- Never been a HC, done good as a coach/recruiter but that is irrelevant when it comes to judging for a HC

This is fact, but would it be an Auburn coaching search without someone wanting Dell McGee?  😂

• Like 1