Freeze + Caddy?

GreenTiger

Just spit ballin here… but I could see a Freeze as HC and Caddy as the OC dynamic possibly working for us. I believe Freeze is still calling plays and Caddy could grow from the relationship potentially. 

Yes, there is serious baggage with Freeze. And yes Caddy is very green as a coordinator. But the two could balance each other out and maybe be a good pairing fit for Auburn 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 5

I thought that Friend was calling the plays for LAC. I wonder if LAC has any play calling experience. He is one hell of an emotional leader though. Harsin could have learned from this however. I think the Admin is in somewhat of a quandary now. No one expected this turnaround over night going forward. LAC has endured himself in Auburn folklore and simply cannot be ignored.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The more I think about it, the more Freeze makes sense. He built a good program at Ole Miss, and has done the same at Liberty. With the resources that we have at Auburn, and with him wanting a redemption arc, we could be dangerous. 

Prime would also be dangerous here. Does he have enough head coaching experience?

With Lane, it would be like dating the hot, flirtatious girl in high school. You would never be comfortable. You would always be scared of her leaving you for someone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, auskull said:

I thought that Friend was calling the plays for LAC. I wonder if LAC has any play calling experience. He is one hell of an emotional leader though. Harsin could have learned from this however. I think the Admin is in somewhat of a quandary now. No one expected this turnaround over night going forward. LAC has endured himself in Auburn folklore and simply cannot be ignored.  

Yes. The admin is definitely in a pickle with excitement of coach Caddy. 

• Like 1

In some ways, Freeze is in the same position that Bruce Pearl was in when we hired him. Although I see Pearl as a combination of Freeze and LAC. Great x's and o's plus an emotional leader. 

Edited by auskull
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Just spit ballin here… but I could see a Freeze as HC and Caddy as the OC dynamic possibly working for us. I believe Freeze is still calling plays and Caddy could grow from the relationship potentially. 

Yes, there is serious baggage with Freeze. And yes Caddy is very green as a coordinator. But the two could balance each other out and maybe be a good pairing fit for Auburn 

Freeze's personal past is not concern.  His Gus like offenses meaning they score quickly, the defense adjusts, and they don't score again is frustrating to me.  He will definitely fit well with Caddy and pour his heart into the job.  Lane is the better OC, but he will not pour his heart into the program. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, auskull said:

In some ways, Freeze is in the same position that Bruce Pearl was in when we hired him. Although I see Pearl as a combination of Freeze and LAC. Great x's and o's plus an emotional leader. 

Pearl and Freeze are not comparable in game day passion nor the number of championships they have won.  Freeze is good.  Pearl is ELITE.

20 minutes ago, auskull said:

I think the Admin is in somewhat of a quandary now. No one expected this turnaround over night going forward. LAC has endured himself in Auburn folklore and simply cannot be ignored.  

💯

You guys should maybe tap the brakes. We just beat the officially worst team in the west, at home, by 3 points, in what could graciously be called "inspired play".

Now I love Caddy's passion and love for AU as much as anyone, and 2004 will always have fond memories for me, but you don't turn over a fortune 500 company to a guy just because he got his MBA.

That said, I hope whoever we hire keeps Caddy on staff and he continues to grow and inspire the team and maybe in 10 years or so he IS that guy that can make the program elite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gman87 said:

You guys should maybe tap the brakes. We just beat the officially worst team in the west, at home, by 3 points, in what could graciously be called "inspired play".

Now I love Caddy's passion and love for AU as much as anyone, and 2004 will always have fond memories for me, but you don't turn over a fortune 500 company to a guy just because he got his MBA.

That said, I hope whoever we hire keeps Caddy on staff and he continues to grow and inspire the team and maybe in 10 years or so he IS that guy that can make the program elite.

The real fun begins when we go in to Tuscaloosa and come out w a win.

I hope you're ready to see a wet bird fly at night.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

The real fun begins when we go in to Tuscaloosa and come out w a win.

I hope you're ready to see a wet bird fly at night.

I would love nothing more but my expectation of that is 0.0001%. I give us that chance because there's a possibility the fighting $puats could all come down with Monkey Pox.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, gman87 said:

As I stated…. “Just spit ballin”

Im going to bet that we actually end up with a HC that nobody is talking about right now. 

I was thinking the exact same thing as the OP, but with Kiffin instead of Freeze.  I think Kiffin could learn as much from Caddy as Caddy could learn from him.  Kiffin could learn transparency, honesty, devotion, pouring yourself into kids.  Kiffin needs to land somewhere that he can feel like home and that he wants to plant roots.  He needs that to become a better human being, IMO.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I was thinking the exact same thing as the OP, but with Kiffin instead of Freeze.  I think Kiffin could learn as much from Caddy as Caddy could learn from him.  Kiffin could learn transparency, honesty, devotion, pouring yourself into kids.  Kiffin needs to land somewhere that he can feel like home and that he wants to plant roots.  He needs that to become a better human being, IMO.  

I like Kiffin a lot but I’m not confident he would come if handcuffed in any way

Edited by GreenTiger

Freeze is a "proven" coach.  He has proven to be a moral, ethical, legal failure who leaves an institution worse off for having employed him.

Freeze is in the perfect place now, a place founded on self righteousness and hypocrisy.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 6

8 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I like Kiffin a lot but I’m not confident he would come if handcuffed in any way

He’d be stupid to not take advantage of Caddy’s recruiting abilities.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Freeze is a "proven" coach.  He has proven to be a moral, ethical, legal failure who leaves an institution worse off for having employed him.

Freeze is in the perfect place now, a place founded on self righteousness and hypocrisy.

I hear ya and agree! Definitely not a ideal candidate and from what I understand our AD was instrumental in turning him in. 
But with all of that I’m a little worried that Auburn will have to go that direction because we are not able to do any better. 

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

As I stated…. “Just spit ballin”

Im going to bet that we actually end up with a HC that nobody is talking about right now. 

Probably a safe bet.

• WarTiger changed the title to Freeze + Caddy?
2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I hear ya and agree! Definitely not a ideal candidate and from what I understand our AD was instrumental in turning him in. 
But with all of that I’m a little worried that Auburn will have to go that direction because we are not able to do any better. 

I'm not sure we could do worse.  His hiring is an admission that principles and character make no difference.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

He’d be stupid to not take advantage of Caddy’s recruiting abilities.  

Not just the recruiting, but the number of former teammates and influential alums in our sideline last night was astounding. A coach would be a fool to not realize the impact of NOT keeping Caddy. 

• Like 5

How in the world can someone watch the game last night and think UA is a chance W. At this point WK is not a given. Auburn against a terrible team looked awful minus the defense most of the time. Enjoy the Caddy experience then in two weeks move on from it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

How in the world can someone watch the game last night and think UA is a chance W. At this point WK is not a given. Auburn against a terrible team looked awful minus the defense most of the time. Enjoy the Caddy experience then in two weeks move on from it.

Fair take. We are not a good team no matter what the hype