Before The Kick Six There Was This

Bro Johnny Mac

14 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I had 2 auburn jersies when I was a kid.   Terry Beasley 88 and David Langner 28

i had a terry on one of those old jerseys that would fade after repeated washings. it was a huge fad. i wanted one of those tear away jerseys bad but never got one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXaubie said:

Hey, you old farts. Lol

So what year was it that our running back (was it Tucker Fredrickson?) said “we were gonna go there and beat the #2 out them”?  Was this the same year or did that happen after punt-bama-punt?

"We had a tailback named Terry Henley, who was also the mouth of the South," Housel said at the time. "Alabama was (ranked) No. 2, and all week long he said, 'We're going to beat the No. 2 out of Alabama.' After that game, when Auburn won, they came back and there was toilet paper everywhere."

https://www.al.com/sports/2016/08/former_auburn_rb_terry_henley.html

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i had a terry on one of those old jerseys that would fade after repeated washings. it was a huge fad. i wanted one of those tear away jerseys bad but never got one.

Oh wow, If I had one of the tear away jerseys it would not have lasted a day :)   I took traditional rough on clothes childhood to the next level

11 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I was 10 years old and that's the day I became an Auburn fan for life.  I hated hearing everyone dog Auburn and loved seeing everyone in my family miserable after AU won that game.  I remember seeing agony.   Pain.  Wailing.  And for some reason, I loved it.  It was beautiful.

Punt Bama punt.

f30a7692-0e5d-459b-9dbe-d0b21a38aee1_tex

• Like 2

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Roger Mitchell blocked the extra point. he's #25 in the photo

Iron Bowl heroes for the ages

Played golf with Roger a couple of years ago. He looked good enough to suit up for us still!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Langner had a really good last 9 minutes that game. Took both blocked punts in for touchdowns and intercepted bama’s last pass to seal the win.

• Like 4

On 11/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, TigerPAC said:

i was born just 2 wks before!

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Smart ass kid:poke:

My mother was in elementary school then lmao

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Langner had a really good last 9 minutes that game. Took both blocked punts in for touchdowns and intercepted bama’s last pass to seal the win.

David and I did not get along very well

From talking to Roger Mitchell, Coach Jordan had good guys like Mitchell keep close tabs on Langner to keep him from getting into too much trouble.

Props to you, golf, if you could hold your own with David!!

My family listened to that game on the radio. We had 1 on in the front of the house & another on in the back of the house. I was 14 at the time, old enough to really care about winning & not having to deal with my friends who were bammers. After being so frustrated for most of the day, we finally scored a FG (I was glad not be shut out), then blocked the 1st punt. Then we got a 3 & out so they had to punt again. My dad & I were pacing all over the house. We came face to face in the hallway when Gary Sanders yelled that we'd blocked the punt again. We both stopped moving & stared at each other. I will never forget the look on my dad's face--his eyes wide as saucers, mouth hanging open, disbelief, joy, hope, all those things on his face at once! Then, when Langner intercepted the pass to seal the win, my dad yelled that we were going to Toomers (we live about 30 minutes away). I know David Housel attributes the beginning of rolling Toomers to that game & that moment, & I rarely doubt David on Auburn history, but it seems to me that we knew what to expect when my dad said we were going. At any rate, it was my 1st experience of Toomers. The memory of that game & that day is a treasure for me. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Now that I do the math, I realize I may very well have been conceived in the celebration of that night.

I have a daughter conceived after the 1986 game AU 21-17. Played behind the whole game. Oh and she has auburn red hair

• Haha 1

Regarding "Punt Bama Punt".

My maternal step-uncle (mom's stepbrother), Wes Bizilia, was an assistant basketball coach at Auburn back then. His son (my step-cousin) was a 14 year old, rabid Auburn fan back then. This game lived in our family because of our connection to Auburn. Despite the fact my Dad was a Bama graduate, and my Mom attended Bama, Punt Bama Punt was a fixture in my life growing up.

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

"We had a tailback named Terry Henley, who was also the mouth of the South," Housel said at the time. "Alabama was (ranked) No. 2, and all week long he said, 'We're going to beat the No. 2 out of Alabama.' After that game, when Auburn won, they came back and there was toilet paper everywhere."

https://www.al.com/sports/2016/08/former_auburn_rb_terry_henley.html

Student Body Right. Student Body Left.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Those 63 uniforms look awesome 

Agreed.  It's cool that the 3 stripe helmet has stood the test of time to this day.  Love it. 

• Like 1