Grant Heard to coach Wide Receivers

O&B

3 hours ago, O&B said:

Welcome Coach Heard! Another great hire by Freeze! They previously coached together at Ole Miss. He has coached big names such as AJ Brown, DJ Metcalf, Dawson Knox, Elijah Moore, Evan Engram, and Laquan Tredwell.

Wow what a resume . Fantastic 

here is some info on him...................

Playing career

Heard was a wide receiver for Ole Miss from 1996 to 2000, where he participated in four bowl games and finished his career as the all-time leader in career receptions and touchdowns.[1] He is still among the top ten in career receiving yards, receptions, and touchdowns. He signed with the San Francisco 49ers in 2001, only appearing in the preseason. He signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2002, but was assigned to NFL Europe.

Coaching career

Heard began his coaching career at Jackson Preparatory School in 2002 as the team's quarterbacks, wide receivers, and special teams coach. He spent 2003 as the wide receivers coach at Hargrave Military Academy, where Hargrave had a 8–1 record in his lone season there. He left to be a graduate assistant at NC State in 2004, and left to be a graduate assistant at his alma mater Ole Miss in 2005. He spent two seasons at Ole Miss before leaving to be the wide receivers coach at Western Michigan in 2007.[2] He left to be the offensive coordinator at Lambuth University under Hugh Freeze in 2008. He spent the 2008 and 2009 seasons with the team before leaving to be the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Arkansas State under newly hired offensive coordinator Freeze.[3] After Freeze was named the head coach at Ole Miss in 2012, Heard followed him to Oxford to be the wide receivers coach for his alma mater. He spent five seasons at Ole Miss, leaving after the 2016 season.[4] Heard was named the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach on Tom Allen's staff at Indiana in 2017.[5] He was promoted to co-offensive coordinator in 2020.[6] In March of 2022, Heard was hired to be the new wide receivers coach at the University of Central Florida, starting in the 2022 season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I read an article about an hour ago that stated he was bringing 8 Liberty coaches with him. 

How many of those would be position coaches and how many would be only staff hires?  Also, I hope both the OC and DC are bigger, more established names with a history of good offenses and defenses.  Offense, less important than defense with Coach Freeze likely having a heavy hand on that side of the ball.  We shall see.  Do you think we have the staff in place and announced before the weekend (Saturday) before the portal opens on Monday?  Will that be a positive for transfers or not?

11 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

How many of those would be position coaches and how many would be only staff hires?  Also, I hope both the OC and DC are bigger, more established names with a history of good offenses and defenses.  Offense, less important than defense with Coach Freeze likely having a heavy hand on that side of the ball.  We shall see.  Do you think we have the staff in place and announced before the weekend (Saturday) before the portal opens on Monday?  Will that be a positive for transfers or not?

Kent Austin, Hugh's OC at Liberty, would be a good OC. I'm sure there may be better known names, but he has a LOT of good experience. 

Edited by GAAubie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Kent Austin, Hugh's OC at Liberty, would be a good OC. I'm sure there may be better known names, but he has a LOT of good experience. 

Do we know if Freeze is leaning that way or looking outside to fill the OC and DC?

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

Do we know if Freeze is leaning that way or looking outside to fill the OC and DC?

Chris Kiffin is my guess at DC. Kent Austin Co-OC with someone. 

just a guess 

seems like we are hiring all of the Liberty guys 

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

Can't remember the answer to the first question, but it seems like they were all going to be position coaches (can't say for sure though). I hope the staff is in place ASAP for recruiting.