Justin Garrett Commits!

RunInRed

The premiums are reporting AU still leads for this highly regarded LB prospect after his weekend visit to the Plains. He plans to make a decision prior to the start of the season.

UPDATED -- Justin Garrett chooses AU (7/27/10)

829160.jpg

Justin Garrett, Outside Linebacker

Tucker, Ga.

6'2 / 185 / 4.51

Offers (13+): Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina State, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, UCF, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin

Notes

- Current AU LB commits: Chris Landrum, Anthony Swain

- His brother, Jamoris Slaughter, is a starting cornerback at Notre Dame

The premiums are reporting AU still leads for this highly regarded LB prospect after his weekend visit to the Plains. He plans to make a decision prior to the start of the season.

829160.jpg

Justin Garrett, Outside Linebacker

Tucker, Ga.

6'2 / 185 / 4.51

Offers (13+): Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina State, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, UCF, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin

Notes

- Current AU LB commits: Chris Landrum, Anthony Swain

- His brother, Jamoris Slaughter, is a starting cornerback at Notre Dame

185lbs? Pretty small for a linebacker, hope he plans on hitting the weight room hard. I'd still love to have him though.

185lbs? Pretty small for a linebacker, hope he plans on hitting the weight room hard. I'd still love to have him though.

How long do you honestly think it would take Yox to put 40+ pounds on him?

Not sure, but it sounds like a red shirt is in his future unless they decide to play him a little undersized. What were you thinking?

Not sure, but it sounds like a red shirt is in his future unless they decide to play him a little undersized. What were you thinking?

I think you recruit speed, football instinct/ability and a frame. At 6'2, our staff could have him up to 230 in no time. Just look at his offer list.

But how many stars does he have? How can we evaluate our class unless we know how many stars?

I NEED stars man. Gimme the stars.

I'm really hurtin.

But how many stars does he have? How can we evaluate our class unless we know how many stars?

I NEED stars man. Gimme the stars.

I'm really hurtin.

I give it a 10, a 10, 10 $&@"$ng stars! (props to Billy Bob)

Sounds like a good addition to me. We're obviously looking to increase the speed of our LB group. I'm not all that convinced that he needs to be 230 lbs. Give me a fast, athletic Lb in the 6'2", 210 pound range. They can get the job done.

Sounds like a good addition to me. We're obviously looking to increase the speed of our LB group. I'm not all that convinced that he needs to be 230 lbs. Give me a fast, athletic Lb in the 6'2", 210 pound range. They can get the job done.

I agree. You don't necessarily want all three of your LBs to be 210 lbs. But having one in the 210-215 range and speedy doesn't hurt anything.

See our LB corps from 04, which is arguably Auburn's best defense ever. Somewhat undersized, but fast fast fast and swarmed to the ball.

I think Garret can end up in the 225 range and keep his speed. That's exactly what Chizik wants in an OLB.

At 6'2, I think he ultimately plays at a weight closer to 225. Just take a look at our current LB corp...

Josh Bynes (Sr.) - 6'2, 239

Craig Stevens (Sr.) - 6'3, 223

Daren Bates (So.) - 5'11, 195

Jonathan Evans (So) - 5'11, 216

Harris Gaston (RS Fr.) - 6'1, 229

Now, look at these same players as recruits...

Bynes - 212 (+27)

Stevens - 210, (+13)

Bates - 202 (+7)

Evans - 205 (+11)

Gaston - 225, (+4)

Also, here's a look at the LB depth chart after this year...

Mike Linebacker

Harris Gaston - 6'1, 229

Jake Holland - 6'1, 228

Chris Landrum - 6'2, 215

Will Linebacker

Eltoro Freeman - 5'11, 222

Ladarius Owens - 6'2, 225

Justin Garrett - 6'2, 185

Sam Linebacker

Daren Bates - 5'11, 202

Jessel Curry - 6'2, 215

Jonathan Evans - 5'11, 216

Jawara White - 6'2, 220

Anthony Swain - 6'3, 215

*Commit

Seems like he's already put on some weight. My guess would be his weight will remain fairly constant throughout football season and then he will immediately begin packing on the weight required to play LB in the SEC. AU cannot provide direct coaching but if he talks with Chizik, Roof, Yox, etc. and they remind him he'll need to put on weight the process will begin early. He could easily report to camp next fall around 215-220. If he can report at 210 he will be serviceable as a WILL. If he ends up as a red shirt his freshman year they will have all year to bulk him up and he'll be fine.

He moves really well side-to-side and has good acceleration when he goes in for the hit. Great pickup!

Archived