For StatTiger

Guest simonsez

Guest simonsez

I dont know if you can find stats on things like this but Im gonna give it a shot.  Has there ever been a player or a players family stupid enough to have a school write them a check and deposit it into their account so they would play ball at that specific school?  If so, how many?  I just wanted to get a guage on where that kind of thing is with recruiting.

"Hundred Dollar Handshakes" were the norm for most colleges back in the day and to a degree still are. The players would go to certain events and fans/alumni/boosters would meet and greet the players with hands full of money with handshakes. It was well known across the football world. The same would happen when they met the parents as well.

I knew a guy who was a mascot, and he told me he'd get flown off to alumni events and come home with a few envelopes full of cash stuffed into his costume.  If they do that with mascots, you've got to believe it happens to players.

You know that out of 90,000 who watch their team avidly there are a couple of who send $100's to their homes after games. I mean come on, I'd bet my life that there's that certain someone or someones who do that at EVERY program in the nation (except Vandy ;) ). And the ESPN commentators make a huge deal out of.. you can't tell me the Holtz players never received money in the mail, or Herbstreit, or any other. :dunno: maybe i'm just crazy and don't trust anybody in the world.

I know for a fact that the $100 handshakes and envelopes in lockers were rampant in the 70s and 80s.  I know too many people who took them and gave them.  Even saw first hand many times.  Most really didn't go overboard trying to hide it. 

Archived