OFFICIAL HURRICANE IVAN THREAD

MDM4AU

With members all over the path of Ivan and surrounding areas, I thought we could start a thread and let everyone give updates from where they are located. Obviously, if you lose power this will do no good. But, maybe some will be able to contribute.

Here in Helena it is 9:53 am and the wind is pretty steady but not too wild. There are some pretty significant gusts. A good bit of rain. I obviously still have power, though it has flickered a couple of times. And much to the dismay of the cable companies, I still have Satellite. :lol:

What's it like where you are?

Thanks MDM for starting this thread. Even though I am not in the Southeast, I would like to read how everyone is doing in the area.

I just got through talking to a friend living in Auburn. he says winds are high and its raining, but he hasn't seen any real damage yet. He had to go b/c the tornado sirens were going off. He's going to call me a little later. That was at 9:45 CT.

Again, I hope everyone's families are ok!!! Keep us all posted. :au:

I just got off the phone with my mom and dad in Pell City. Trees are down over a good portion of the place and they said highway 34 leading to Talladega is impassable due to downed trees. They had just lost their power as of about 30 minutes ago.

Spoke with parents and in-laws in Montgomery around 12:30 or so. In-laws and my mom, who are just north of Mtgy had the power go out earlier, but it's back on. Dad and step-mom don't have cable, but the power hasn't gone off. Wasn't as bad as they had feared it would be.

Im not sure about Luverne either I have been trying to reach my brothers about our roof damage but the house phone and cell phones dont seem to be working so if you know anything about the troy Luverne area about power etc.....

Im not sure about Luverne either I have been trying to reach my brothers about our roof damage but the house phone and cell phones dont seem to be working so if you know anything about the troy Luverne area about power etc.....

Did you watch the video from Luverne and Andalusia on WSFA.com?

Tigger, you now have a water bed!

IU apparently missed it...... i know i have a water futon my mom converted my room to an office when i moved out..lol and then she moved out.... the roof pealed back and water was gushing into my room and her room through the attic... but i cant call and find out if they were able to catch the water...

Apparently hurricanes love my bedroom b/c when Opal came through a tree fell on my bed...luckily i wasnt in it...

Guys, I just saw video of a helicopter flyover of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach that was provided by CBS 4 out of New Orleans. The devestation made me speechless. Too see some of these big condos damaged and about to collapse from beach erosion really got to me. You can't even see any roads because of all the sand covering the area from the surges. Sikes Bridge that connects Pensacola Beach to the mainland is missing a 30 foot section of bridge and some other bridges are in bad condition also! I am going to be in Pensacola for a Blue Angels air show the second weekend of November, but I am wondering if they are going to be able to pul that off with all the damage I am seeing on video and in pictures.

Pensacola News Journal

Gulf Shores video

We got a good shot from it here in s.e. al. It woke me up around 4 a.m. The wind had to be a sustained 70-80 m.p.h. give or take a hair. Didn't seem as bad as opal. We never lost water. Lost the phone for 1/2 a day. The power is still out. We are on a generator.

Lots of tree damage around here. Overall not too bad.

Talked to my mom in Foley about 2 this afternoon...she got in the vicinity of the house, but wasn't able to get a close look due to downed power lines. The north side of the house had no windows broken and the roof, which was recently replaced, appeared to have minimal damage. The fence is down, but that is not a surprise. The back side of the house is an unknown quantity right now...probably a shitpotful of limbs and maybe a downed pecan tree.

My old house is a sturdy one...about 50 years old, I guess. Some of the people my mom works with weren't so lucky...some of them had roofs ripped off and complete sides of houses collapsed in.

I'm planning on driving back there next weekend to help with whatever cleanup I can and see what's still there.

Finally got power back! Very little damage here. Lost three limbs from a pine tree. All three are between 6-10 inches around and 8-10 feet long. They landed on my deck and shed just missing the house! :o Family is fine. Hope everyone else is doing well.

We got hammered in miflin, power poles were snapped Trees down everywhere including a big one on my bed. Glad no one in my family was hurt. got water and power but no cable.... or bed.

glad to hear you're OK, dude...my mom got her power back today as well and is sleeping in her own bed for the first time since last Tuesday night.

well, my house was the only roof damage in our neighborhood. It wasn't nearly as bad as we thought in the house. I do have a waterbed futon in my bedroom and I dont think we will be turning on my ceiling fan for a while...... but it turned my room was the only leak instead of 4 rooms like originally thought

Outside on the other hand not a good story.... the liner in the pool floated as feared... it also floated during opal....seems like the only time we get a new liner is when we have a hurricane...we lost the fence around our yard and my mom lost her favorite cedar tree....

Stoic, great pics! I have a question for you or anyone who might know. The picture of the 18 wheeler hanging off the Bay Bridge, what became of the driver? I have heard conflicting reports, that he was found dead in the cab and that he was OK. Every time I see that picture I wonder. If anyone knows, please let me know.

heard on the weather report tonight that whats left of IVan has returned to the gulf and could very possibly reform

The driver and the cab were found and they are not ok...

Tigger, I heard the same and that is scary considering that there are three hurricanes in the atlantic just sitting there!

Archived