2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

Every recruit knows who Cam Newton is, very few (if any) probably know who Pat Sullivan is...The recruits know the guys that are playing now or played recently and I hope now with Lefty taking over they will get to know guys like Tom Brady.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every recruit knows who Cam Newton is, very few (if any) probably know who Pat Sullivan is...The recruits know the guys that are playing now or played recently and I hope now with Lefty taking over they will get to know guys like Tom Brady.

It's not about them knowing who those players are. I actually think it's beneficial to have one Heisman QB they know well and one that most of them have never heard of. When they come in on the visit, it kinda serves to underscore that bit about how Auburn was great long before they got here. Of course Loeffler's work with Brady makes a difference, just like Trooper's charisma makes a difference, and Van Gorder's fire, and...well, everything.

I was simply pointing out another advantage Auburn has. You hear so much about tradition from the other side of the state that it seems most don't understand that we have tradition, too, and it's not based on inflated numbers. I almost get the feeling that some Auburn people avoid talking about tradition because of all the crap we've given bammers before 2009 about living in the past...

It's gonna be interesting to see how the QB recruiting unfolds.  I don't foresee a commitment anytime soon, because with the limited number of spaces available, the decision on which one we take is all-important.              ( Understatement, I know)  I still continue to believe we will try to get two, even though trying to find two of these guys who will compete with each other will be difficult.  IMO, getting JJ and one of the other blue-chippers would be ideal, but with the likes of LSU now courting him, that's probably not realistic.  The exciting thing is that Loeffler has gotten so many of these top kids in for visits so early in the game!!  Most seem to be pointing toward decisions at the start of their senior seasons, so this should unfold within the next three or four months.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the QB recruiting unfolds.  I don't foresee a commitment anytime soon, because with the limited number of spaces available, the decision on which one we take is all-important.               ( Understatement, I know)  I still continue to believe we will try to get two, even though trying to find two of these guys who will compete with each other will be difficult.  IMO, getting JJ and one of the other blue-chippers would be ideal, but with the likes of LSU now courting him, that's probably not realistic.  The exciting thing is that Loeffler has gotten so many of these top kids in for visits so early in the game!!  Most seem to be pointing toward decisions at the start of their senior seasons, so this should unfold within the next three or four months.

The top QBs usually commit early, or at least that has been the trend the last few years. Max Browne, who is Rivals top QB prospect, is ready to decide between SoCal and Okie. I'm almost certain that Auburn would accept a commit from any of it's top QB targets right now if any of them were ready to commit.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the QB recruiting unfolds.  I don't foresee a commitment anytime soon, because with the limited number of spaces available, the decision on which one we take is all-important.               ( Understatement, I know)  I still continue to believe we will try to get two, even though trying to find two of these guys who will compete with each other will be difficult.  IMO, getting JJ and one of the other blue-chippers would be ideal, but with the likes of LSU now courting him, that's probably not realistic.  The exciting thing is that Loeffler has gotten so many of these top kids in for visits so early in the game!!  Most seem to be pointing toward decisions at the start of their senior seasons, so this should unfold within the next three or four months.

The top QBs usually commit early, or at least that has been the trend the last few years. Max Browne, who is Rivals top QB prospect, is ready to decide between SoCal and Okie. I'm almost certain that Auburn would accept a commit from any of it's top QB targets right now if any of them were ready to commit.

Yes they do.  But I think, my opinion only, that we would not continue to offer (example; the Buchanan kid from Mississippi) if Loeffler was ready to take a commitment from say Rettig, Bateman, Olsen, et al.  Maybe I'm looking through the glasses, but I think he is evaluating, would like to wait as long as possible, and then make his pick from the best fit for us.  There's just too much smoke not to believe we are a hot QB destination right now.

There's a fundamental difference between tradition and living in the past.

I agree wholeheartedly.

It's a hard thing too do, to look at Johnson as a back up. I hope we get him, because I think he'll be a good one. :party:

He's more of a project type of guy; he has an outstanding arm, but needs a fair amount of coaching to refine his mechanics, much like Zeke Pike does. Frazier didn't have that kind of drawback, because he was pretty danged polished in high school, and I get the feeling that Loeffler is more interested in the elite throwers than the superb athletes who play QB.

Not directed at you, Wilton, but one thing I've noticed in many of my Auburn brethren is that they seem to be looking for "the next Cam", when reality is that Cam was just special. No one needs to try to be Cam, because no one else can be Cam.

Red - I think Cam created "The next cam" thing. He probably should have been a TE or LB or something else. He stuck to being a QB so he changed the mold of what we look for as a prototypical QB. Remember a few years ago - that was 6'4", 225 lbs. Now, big kids are all saying I want to be the next Can Newton (Sic). I think we'll see everyone - players, coaches, fans trying to find the next one for quote a while.

And maybe that's a good thing. You have guys that play other positions that give QB a while and you find the right mix. 

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread. I'd love to take J Johnson. He's a quality player, in state and will be good. We'll see.

It's a hard thing too do, to look at Johnson as a back up. I hope we get him, because I think he'll be a good one. :party:

He's more of a project type of guy; he has an outstanding arm, but needs a fair amount of coaching to refine his mechanics, much like Zeke Pike does. Frazier didn't have that kind of drawback, because he was pretty danged polished in high school, and I get the feeling that Loeffler is more interested in the elite throwers than the superb athletes who play QB.

Not directed at you, Wilton, but one thing I've noticed in many of my Auburn brethren is that they seem to be looking for "the next Cam", when reality is that Cam was just special. No one needs to try to be Cam, because no one else can be Cam.

Red - I think Cam created "The next cam" thing. He probably should have been a TE or LB or something else. He stuck to being a QB so he changed the mold of what we look for as a prototypical QB. Remember a few years ago - that was 6'4", 225 lbs. Now, big kids are all saying I want to be the next Can Newton (Sic). I think we'll see everyone - players, coaches, fans trying to find the next one for quote a while.

And maybe that's a good thing. You have guys that play other positions that give QB a while and you find the right mix. 

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread. I'd love to take J Johnson. He's a quality player, in state and will be good. We'll see.

Vince Young isn't too far from what Cam is, but I understand the point.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if he's invited to BCWIII?  I realize there are higher rated QBs on our board but I really hope we get him.  I just think it would be great if AU had more Montgomery kids on the roster.  It's hard to believe that city doesnt produce more D1 talent for AU and bama.

Does anyone know if he's invited to BCWIII?  I realize there are higher rated QBs on our board but I really hope we get him.  I just think it would be great if AU had more Montgomery kids on the roster.  It's hard to believe that city doesnt produce more D1 talent for AU and bama.

Not sure about that, but I know CSL was at Pelham High, last Friday night to watch him play in his spring game vs Pelham.

My UAT friend met CSL and said he was very impressed with CSL all the way around.

Vince Young isn't too far from what Cam is, but I understand the point.

IMHO Vince is not even close to Cam.  Not physically and definitely not mentally.  VY has a significantly thinner frame.  Tom Brady is a better comparison than Vince Young.

Cam did indeed help our football program in many way that will last for years and years to come. And yes, that is a very good thing for the Auburn Family.

Montgomery teams and kids have to get better to make it worth Auburn's time.

Considering the recent commitments, looks to me that we are down to JJ and RB as leading QB candidates.....anyone aware or other players that Loeffler is serious about?

Considering the recent commitments, looks to me that we are down to JJ and RB as leading QB candidates.....anyone aware or other players that Loeffler is serious about?

Hayden Rettig

Here's my top QB's if I was recruiting them. Hopefully we'll sign the best one.

Hayden Rettig, Ryan Buchanan, Jeremy Johnson, Kevin Olsen and Jason Smith.

I think they draw it out until right before next weekend if he is committing. Momentum at the start of BCW for others that may be on the fence.

Archived