2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

Montgy Public School Admin has decided to focus all adjustable funds on non-athletic classroom education. Results are complete breakdown of most HS athletic programs. Lee HS has such serious issues that they will be lucky to win two games in near future. Jeff Davis & Lanier not much better. Carver has some real talent but sketchy on off-field preparation for college. Signing Johnson will have no affect on where Prattville players sign, but sure won't hurt with Carver recruits-

This. I played at Jeff Davis a few years ago when we were competing for state championships with Hoover and Prattville. It's sad to see how far downhill JD and Lee have gone. Lanier and Carver always have a few good athletes but no real structure( academically or athletically). It also doesn't help that there are 4 under-funded public high schools and about 10 private high schools diluting the talent pool.

It's another reason why you see kids grow up in Montgomery and then move in with relatives in Prattville to attend PHS. 

So true. I had a few close friends do that very thing and that was a few years ago when the Mtgy public school situation wasn't nearly  as bad as it is now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montgy Public School Admin has decided to focus all adjustable funds on non-athletic classroom education. Results are complete breakdown of most HS athletic programs. Lee HS has such serious issues that they will be lucky to win two games in near future. Jeff Davis & Lanier not much better. Carver has some real talent but sketchy on off-field preparation for college. Signing Johnson will have no affect on where Prattville players sign, but sure won't hurt with Carver recruits-

This. I played at Jeff Davis a few years ago when we were competing for state championships with Hoover and Prattville. It's sad to see how far downhill JD and Lee have gone. Lanier and Carver always have a few good athletes but no real structure( academically or athletically). It also doesn't help that there are 4 under-funded public high schools and about 10 private high schools diluting the talent pool.

It's another reason why you see kids grow up in Montgomery and then move in with relatives in Prattville to attend PHS. 

So true. I had a few close friends do that very thing and that was a few years ago when the Mtgy public school situation wasn't nearly  as bad as it is now.

Prattville has been recruiting for years. The coaches who took over during my junior year told me about some things that went on with guys from Autaugaville, where they coached before coming to my high school, and some of the things they do are...well, we'll say that true amateur status is in question for some kids before colleges ever start knocking on their doors.

Don't mistake me though: Prattville is not the only school that does this. I've heard similar stories out of both Hoover and Daphne, and that's the three main 6A powerhouses in the state of Alabama. I would imagine it's like that everywhere. Wonder when this culture is going to reach all the way back to Pee Wees...

Prattville has been recruiting for years. The coaches who took over during my junior year told me about some things that went on with guys from Autaugaville, where they coached before coming to my high school, and some of the things they do are...well, we'll say that true amateur status is in question for some kids before colleges ever start knocking on their doors.

Don't mistake me though: Prattville is not the only school that does this. I've heard similar stories out of both Hoover and Daphne, and that's the three main 6A powerhouses in the state of Alabama. I would imagine it's like that everywhere. Wonder when this culture is going to reach all the way back to Pee Wees...

You're dead-on, Red. Growing up in Montgomery and competing against the P'villes, Hoovers, and Daphnes was tough. Especially knowing all the advantages( fair and unfair)  they had. You're also correct that it's not only the 6A powerhouses doing it. Generally there's a reason why certain schools dominate their classifications year in and year out... and it isn't because there's something in the water.

It was my understanding, that JJ was ready to commit around the beginning of the year and be one of our first verbals in this class. Whether it be that Lefty wasn't completely sold or wasn't ready to fully commit to him and simply wanted to keep other options open, it didn't happen and now I'm seriously concerned that we might lose JJ. I have also heard that there is serious mutual interest between Rettig and AU but I hope JJ doesn't feel slighted and go somewhere else because of it. This does speak to how many QBs we'll take in this class because if we were taking two, we would already have one in the fold, IMO.

On another point, we really NEED to hit a home run with the QB in this class. For one reason or another over the years, we've had a hard time evaluating talent at that position above all others, which is another reason why we brought Lefty in. So, at least he is doing his due diligence. Even this year, we are an ALL-SEC QB away from being serious SEC and National Championship contenders. Not that Moseley and Frazier can't rise to the challenge because I'm not counting them out, but we can't say for sure what our QB play will look like this year, which is the most important position on the field.

It's not quite so critical as you may think to hit a home run, not when we signed the USA Today High School Player of the Year two years ago. It would be great to sign a top notch QB for Loeffler to groom, but it's not as if we don't already have talent at the position...

I disagree with this.  Particularly when there's a position as crucial and central as QB, and when we only carry a few on the roster (as opposed to a position like OL or DL), I think we absolutely have to capitalize on them.  In addition, Kiehl Frazier, while unquestionably talented, is still very much an unknown commodity at this point.  If he gets injured or doesn't pan out to be what we want in this new offense, we get really thin really quickly.  I say we sign 2 QBs this year without questino.

It was my understanding, that JJ was ready to commit around the beginning of the year and be one of our first verbals in this class. Whether it be that Lefty wasn't completely sold or wasn't ready to fully commit to him and simply wanted to keep other options open, it didn't happen and now I'm seriously concerned that we might lose JJ. I have also heard that there is serious mutual interest between Rettig and AU but I hope JJ doesn't feel slighted and go somewhere else because of it. This does speak to how many QBs we'll take in this class because if we were taking two, we would already have one in the fold, IMO.

On another point, we really NEED to hit a home run with the QB in this class. For one reason or another over the years, we've had a hard time evaluating talent at that position above all others, which is another reason why we brought Lefty in. So, at least he is doing his due diligence. Even this year, we are an ALL-SEC QB away from being serious SEC and National Championship contenders. Not that Moseley and Frazier can't rise to the challenge because I'm not counting them out, but we can't say for sure what our QB play will look like this year, which is the most important position on the field.

It's not quite so critical as you may think to hit a home run, not when we signed the USA Today High School Player of the Year two years ago. It would be great to sign a top notch QB for Loeffler to groom, but it's not as if we don't already have talent at the position...

I disagree with this.  Particularly when there's a position as crucial and central as QB, and when we only carry a few on the roster (as opposed to a position like OL or DL), I think we absolutely have to capitalize on them.  In addition, Kiehl Frazier, while unquestionably talented, is still very much an unknown commodity at this point.  If he gets injured or doesn't pan out to be what we want in this new offense, we get really thin really quickly.  I say we sign 2 QBs this year without questino.

We don't have the numbers to sign 2 QBs. Frazier is outstanding, if untested in college to this point. Moseley is, at the very least, a capable backup who will be around for the next two seasons. Pike is immensely talented, but needs to be grounded by a redshirt year and holding a clipboard for a while, preferably as the third stringer until after Moseley graduates. By then, he should be in better shape to play should the need arise. Jonathan Wallace is a backup plan at QB to be sure, but he does have talent to be able to surprise people if his number gets called.

As for recruiting, we need one good QB, and that's it. A home run game changing type of QB would be awesome, and with Loeffler's pedigree it might well happen, but a solid four star (which, btw, is where I would put Pike talent wise) who has the potential to be ready to start as soon as his redshirt freshman season or as late as his redshirt sophomore season. We don't need 6 QBs on the roster in 2013, and even having just 4 (if Wallace changes positions) would be okay.

Hypothetically, this is what the depth chart would look like in 2013:

1) Kiehl Frazier

2) Clint Moseley

3) Zeke Pike

4) 4 star 2013 recruit, presumably redshirting

I think that looks just fine, personally.

We don't have the numbers to sign 2 QBs. Frazier is outstanding, if untested in college to this point. Moseley is, at the very least, a capable backup who will be around for the next two seasons. Pike is immensely talented, but needs to be grounded by a redshirt year and holding a clipboard for a while, preferably as the third stringer until after Moseley graduates. By then, he should be in better shape to play should the need arise. Jonathan Wallace is a backup plan at QB to be sure, but he does have talent to be able to surprise people if his number gets called.

As for recruiting, we need one good QB, and that's it. A home run game changing type of QB would be awesome, and with Loeffler's pedigree it might well happen, but a solid four star (which, btw, is where I would put Pike talent wise) who has the potential to be ready to start as soon as his redshirt freshman season or as late as his redshirt sophomore season. We don't need 6 QBs on the roster in 2013, and even having just 4 (if Wallace changes positions) would be okay.

1) Kiehl Frazier

2) Clint Moseley

3) Zeke Pike

Red, respectfully disagree on 2 QBs.  Because I don't think our depth chart will look like that this time next year.  We will make room, because IMO, we will have to.  Personally, I hope it's JJ and one of either Browne, Rettig, Bateman, or Olson at this point.

Speaking in hypothetical terms, do you think if KF earns the nod @ QB, Clint will transfer?? (Thus maybe giving us the 'hypothetical' need for a second QB scholly)

yall are forgetting about wallace ... some think he is a quality qb, with alot of athletic gifts.  we have 4 on scholly right now.  we take one next year and 2 if JJ comes (IMHO) or we need to replace CM (i think he is a threat to leave if he is not the starter come fall)

yall are forgetting about wallace ... some think he is a quality qb, with alot of athletic gifts.  we have 4 on scholly right now.  we take one next year and 2 if JJ comes (IMHO) or we need to replace CM (i think he is a threat to leave if he is not the starter come fall)

Good point. I had forgotten myself while reading the thread. I don't predict that he will be a starting QB but who knows at this point. He has the athleticism so we will see.

Speaking in hypothetical terms, do you think if KF earns the nod @ QB, Clint will transfer?? (Thus maybe giving us the 'hypothetical' need for a second QB scholly)

Don't know but teams end up short handed at the qb position from time to time and often they move a player to qb that played that position in high school.  Most teams have a lot of hs qbs on their roster since hs teams often use their better athletes at the qb position.

1) Kiehl Frazier

2) Clint Moseley

3) Zeke Pike

Red do you think that If Kiehl beats out Moseley this year that there's a chance that Moseley transfers? Would that affect your thinking?

If Kiehl wins the starting job, as I expect him to, then no, I don't think Clint will transfer. He is an Auburn man, and I feel like he knows how much he means to the team even in a backup role.

However, in the unlikely scenario that he does leave, then I could indeed see us taking two QBs. And I agree that Johnson is likely a backup plan at QB at this point.

Personally I think if Frazier wins, then Clint is gone

It is always a possibility with qbs that they look for other opportunities if they don't get the starting spot, especially when they think they missed their window of opportunity.  With Moseley having a sore shoulder/arm and not throwing in practice, I suspect the qb spot is Frazier's job to lose.  The other side of that is what would Frazier do if Moseley gets the starting spot... would he look around for other opportunities? 

My point is that you can't worry too much about non-starters leaving the program because it is just the nature of the beast, especially with qbs.  In our situation this year, we should be very nervous about about either qb leaving the team because it would leave us in a precarious position.  If Trotter had stayed, not so much, but he didn't so we only have two that have ever taken snaps as a college qb. 

Personally I think if Frazier wins, then Clint is gone

It is always a possibility with qbs that they look for other opportunities if they don't get the starting spot, especially when they think they missed their window of opportunity.  With Moseley having a sore shoulder/arm and not throwing in practice, I suspect the qb spot is Frazier's job to lose.  The other side of that is what would Frazier do if Moseley gets the starting spot... would he look around for other opportunities? 

My point is that you can't worry too much about non-starters leaving the program because it is just the nature of the beast, especially with qbs.  In our situation this year, we should be very nervous about about either qb leaving the team because it would leave us in a precarious position.  If Trotter had stayed, not so much, but he didn't so we only have two that have ever taken snaps as a college qb. 

i think the situation is a little different in this case.  KF is younger with more opportunities remaining.  it has also been stated that he loves auburn.  CM is older with less opportunities and has shown a propensity to be emotionally volatile.

JJ seems like a great kid, but at this point I honestly think he's a back back back up plan for if we miss on Olsen, Rettig, Bateman, and Printz

I think JJ will be better than all of them and we're making a mistake it it's in fact true he wanted to commit but we didn't offer him.  (I don't believe that though)

Lots of talk of potential QBs, but no mention of Sandberg.  Has he fallen off our list or committed elsewhere?

He hasn't fallen off of it, but it seems he's been moved down a fair amount. There are other QBs that Loeffler likes more.

Lots of talk of potential QBs, but no mention of Sandberg.  Has he fallen off our list or committed elsewhere?

He retired many years ago after a stellar career as a 2nd baseman for the Cubs. I think he is managing somewhere now!

He retired many years ago after a stellar career as a 2nd baseman for the Cubs. I think he is managing somewhere now!

:laugh::thumbsup:

Nicely done. Ryan would be proud.

Nicely done. Ryan would be proud.

**Ryne** :)

Archived