2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

It's a hard thing too do, to look at Johnson as a back up. I hope we get him, because I think he'll be a good one. :party:

He's more of a project type of guy; he has an outstanding arm, but needs a fair amount of coaching to refine his mechanics, much like Zeke Pike does. Frazier didn't have that kind of drawback, because he was pretty danged polished in high school, and I get the feeling that Loeffler is more interested in the elite throwers than the superb athletes who play QB.

Not directed at you, Wilton, but one thing I've noticed in many of my Auburn brethren is that they seem to be looking for "the next Cam", when reality is that Cam was just special. No one needs to try to be Cam, because no one else can be Cam.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of talk of potential QBs, but no mention of Sandberg.  Has he fallen off our list or committed elsewhere?

He retired many years ago after a stellar career as a 2nd baseman for the Cubs. I think he is managing somewhere now!

Nicely done. Ryan would be proud.

**Ryne** :)

You are correct Weagle. I knew something didnt look right when I wrote that.

Lots of talk of potential QBs, but no mention of Sandberg.  Has he fallen off our list or committed elsewhere?

He retired many years ago after a stellar career as a 2nd baseman for the Cubs. I think he is managing somewhere now!

Nicely done. Ryan would be proud.

**Ryne** :)

Looks like I've been Rynoed.  I'll pay better attention next time.  Dang you to heck Ryne Sandberg, with your awesome name.

It's a hard thing too do, to look at Johnson as a back up. I hope we get him, because I think he'll be a good one. :party:

He's more of a project type of guy; he has an outstanding arm, but needs a fair amount of coaching to refine his mechanics, much like Zeke Pike does. Frazier didn't have that kind of drawback, because he was pretty danged polished in high school, and I get the feeling that Loeffler is more interested in the elite throwers than the superb athletes who play QB.

Not directed at you, Wilton, but one thing I've noticed in many of my Auburn brethren is that they seem to be looking for "the next Cam", when reality is that Cam was just special. No one needs to try to be Cam, because no one else can be Cam.

I'm not looking for the next Cam. That'd be a  l o n g look. But from the film I've watched (I'm sure it hasn't been anywhere near the film you've watched , or others here)

I just think he'll be a good football player. I'd love to have another Cam, but a Bo or Takeo or Nick would be ok too me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wareagle:

Oh, thanks for the info rednilla

I'm not looking for the next Cam. That'd be a  l o n g look. But from the film I've watched (I'm sure it hasn't been anywhere near the film you've watched , or others here)

I just think he'll be a good football player. I'd love to have another Cam, but a Bo or Takeo or Nick would be ok too me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wareagle:

Oh, thanks for the info rednilla

There is no doubt that he'd be a good football player, but because of the numbers, we're having to be very selective. If we had room to sign 25, then heck yeah we'd want him, and it might work out that we have room, but honestly, I rather doubt that we'll be signing him as the only QB recruit, and I just don't know that we have the numbers to sign two QBs.

Jeremy Johnson is a good prospect with a huge upside. Malzahn thought highly of him before he departed. Loeffler runs a much different system and have other ideas about what type QBs he wants to run his offense. Loeffler like guys who are more experienced at running a pro-set, and ones who are more accustomed to taking snaps directly under center.

If Malzahn evaluated correctly with Frazier and Pike, we shouldn't be in need for a young QB to have to come in and play right away.

Jeremy Johnson is a good prospect with a huge upside. Malzahn thought highly of him before he departed. Loeffler runs a much different system and have other ideas about what type QBs he wants to run his offense. Loeffler like guys who are more experienced at running a pro-set, and ones who are more accustomed to taking snaps directly under center.

If Malzahn evaluated correctly with Frazier and Pike, we shouldn't be in need for a young QB to have to come in and play right away.

We aren't.

I wouldn't think Johnson would come in and start but that's more of a reason why you take him IMO. And its not like he is an athlete playing qb to run option or something he has been one of the top qbs in the state since he was a sophomore.

I wouldn't think Johnson would come in and start but that's more of a reason why you take him IMO. And its not like he is an athlete playing qb to run option or something he has been one of the top qbs in the state since he was a sophomore.

He's a good player, there's no doubt. But being one of the top QBs in the state is not the same as being one of the top QBs in the country. Now, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him, but while he's not just some athlete running the option, he IS an athlete with a cannon for an arm and not a whole lot of mechanics.

But no, Johnson will not come in and start. Neither will Hayden Rettig, or Max Brown, or any other quarterback currently in high school. That's because we do still have the USA Today High School Player of the Year, and he's only a sophomore, so he'll be here for a while. Not to mention that true freshmen QBs are snack food for SEC defenses.

Mechanics is the easiest thing to correct and teach. And I'm no scout but I don't see where his mechanics are so horrible.I don't too much see the difference in any of those guys throwing mechanics but I do see nobody throws a better deep ball and I see his leadership and presence. But maybe we aren't going to run a  deep vertical passing game.Its just my opinion that I think he will be one of the best qbs out of this class.Btw I remember when Aaron Rodgers came out they talked about his throwing mechanics as well.And I don't compare Johnson's game to cam but the negatives or weaknesses in his game is the exact same thing that they said about cam coming out of high school and college.

Mechanics is the easiest thing to correct and teach. And I'm no scout but I don't see where his mechanics are so horrible.I don't too much see the difference in any of those guys throwing mechanics but I do see nobody throws a better deep ball and I see his leadership and presence. But maybe we aren't going to run a  deep vertical passing game.Its just my opinion that I think he will be one of the best qbs out of this class.Btw I remember when Aaron Rodgers came out they talked about his throwing mechanics as well.And I don't compare Johnson's game to cam but the negatives or weaknesses in his game is the exact same thing that they said about cam coming out of high school and college.

Okay, so I take it you've seen Johnson play. Have you seen any of the other quarterbacks on our list play? I'm not saying Johnson isn't a good quarterback or that he doesn't have the potential to be a great quarterback, I'm saying he's at least a bit of a project. The same was probably said about Cam when he came out of high school, but I don't really know because the only QB I cared about in that class at the time was Kodi Burns (who was also a high four star player who had the reputation of a strong arm but needing mechanical work). Either way, there have been a ton of great QBs who have had mechanical issues (which affect short passes more than long passes, because precision, ball flight, etc. are magnified with the higher concentration of defensive players closer to the line of scrimmage), and I'm not saying JJ won't be one of them.

All I'm saying is that the coaches seem to have several other quarterbacks ahead of him in the pecking order, and no matter what my evaluation of the players is, I trust their evaluation more.

I'm glad the coaches are paid to make these decisions and not ours. We put so much stock in recruiting rankings and kids highlight reels when the coaches have much more at their disposal. Every kid that we are recruiting at QB don't have perfect mechanics. I'm almost certain that none of them do. Ain't a coach's job to break old habits and help bring new ones?

Okay, so I take it you've seen Johnson play. Have you seen any of the other quarterbacks on our list play? I'm not saying Johnson isn't a good quarterback or that he doesn't have the potential to be a great quarterback, I'm saying he's at least a bit of a project. The same was probably said about Cam when he came out of high school, but I don't really know because the only QB I cared about in that class at the time was Kodi Burns (who was also a high four star player who had the reputation of a strong arm but needing mechanical work). Either way, there have been a ton of great QBs who have had mechanical issues (which affect short passes more than long passes, because precision, ball flight, etc. are magnified with the higher concentration of defensive players closer to the line of scrimmage), and I'm not saying JJ won't be one of them.

All I'm saying is that the coaches seem to have several other quarterbacks ahead of him in the pecking order, and no matter what my evaluation of the players is, I trust their evaluation more.

I went back and found some of the blogs about Cam from Florida folks when he left their program and they were not all that upset that he left because he was inaccurate as a passer... something about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.  One of Urban Meyer's comments when Auburn was playing in the BCSCG was about how much his passing had improved since he was at Florida.  When he was at Auburn he made some good throws but a lot of his down field throws were to wide open receivers because the dbs were looking for Cam to run ball first and defend against the pass second.  I thought Cam needed another year at Auburn to work on his passing but he looked great this year in the NFL.  He worked hard and had some great coaching.

This is a qb controversy before the players even sign. Good problem to have.  I'm pulling for Johnson since he is from Alabama and seems to be an Auburn man, at the same time, I understand that the coaches must evaluate and choose who they believe is the best qb to lead our team. Trouble is that heart, desire to play for Auburn and character are impossile to grade on film. I think he has game and will start for a major college.

This is a qb controversy before the players even sign. Good problem to have.  I'm pulling for Johnson since he is from Alabama and seems to be an Auburn man, at the same time, I understand that the coaches must evaluate and choose who they believe is the best qb to lead our team. Trouble is that heart, desire to play for Auburn and character are impossile to grade on film. I think he has game and will start for a major college.

He is the guy I want for this class, but whoever CSL picks is fine with me!  :we:

i think this says alot about where our program is.  a 4-star, very athletic qb, who has a big arm, great upside, probably understands that he will have to wait a year or two for his chance, is a big auburn fan and lives less than an hour from campus does not appear to be in our top 4-5 qb recruit candidates?!?!?!?!?

although, on an emotional level, i hate it for this kid (local kid done good feeling about it) this is a great sign of the direction of our program. 

Yeah and JJ isn't on KKolumbo's top 10 board either......

What is KKolumbo's website by the way?

He has a great blog here:

http://theamateurauburnblog.blogspot.com/?m=1

He is a wealth of information and I'd suggest following him on Twitter. He gets the most accurate recruiting and football information out there for somebody that isn't in the program or a beat writer. Usually has very realistic view on things, he's no VIP, but more of a RIP, (really important person) on these boards and we all appreciate everything he does.

Keep up the good work KC.

Lefty has expanded the level of QBs Auburn is recruiting beyond what Malzahn was recruiting, and is recruiting more of them. Lefty's background of developing QBs makes it easier for him to get the QBs that fits his eye.

I have no doubt CSL will find us a great fit at QB, but I don't know how far 'beyond' the level of Malzahn's QB recruiting he will go...Malzahn did bring in the the likes of Frazier, Pike, and that Newton guy...

Lefty has expanded the level of QBs Auburn is recruiting beyond what Malzahn was recruiting, and is recruiting more of them. Lefty's background of developing QBs makes it easier for him to get the QBs that fits his eye.

I have no doubt CSL will find us a great fit at QB, but I don't know how far 'beyond' the level of Malzahn's QB recruiting he will go...Malzahn did bring in the the likes of Frazier, Pike, and that Newton guy...

I was speaking in terms of the number of quality QBs that Loeffler is recruiting to Auburn. A 4* QB in our own backyard has fallen down our list for crying out loud!

We got lucky with Cam that year when we wasn't planning on signing a QB in that class. Luper was in Texas recruiting a WR  at Blinn and spotted Cam. Luper was so impressed with Cam that he brought Malzahn out there to scout him personally. Frazier was a pupil of Malzahn's offense since the 8th grade and is from Malzahn's home state.

Just look at the quality and quantity of QBs that Loeffler is recruiting and he's not in his 1st full recruiting cycle yet. What he is doing is very impressive. He has QBs from all four corners of the continental US interested in Auburn and has only been on the job since January.

I was speaking in terms of the number of quality QBs that Loeffler is recruiting to Auburn. A 4* QB in our own backyard has fallen down our list for crying out loud!

We got lucky with Cam that year when we wasn't planning on signing a QB in that class. Luper was in Texas recruiting a WR  at Blinn and spotted Cam. Luper was so impressed with Cam that he brought Malzahn out there to scout him personally. Frazier was a pupil of Malzahn's offense since the 8th grade and is from Malzahn's home state.

Just look at the quality and quantity of QBs that Loeffler is recruiting and he's not in his 1st full recruiting cycle yet. What he is doing is very impressive. He has QBs from all four corners of the continental US interested in Auburn and has only been on the job since January.

I don't think you realize that for the most part, I agree with what you are saying. I am COMPLETELY convinced that CSL will bring in top tier talent at that position. I just want to reiterate that Malzahn brought in the same level of talent and helped lay the QB foundation that CSL will build upon to bring us another BCSNC  :we:

I don't think you realize that for the most part, I agree with what you are saying. I am COMPLETELY convinced that CSL will bring in top tier talent at that position. I just want to reiterate that Malzahn brought in the same level of talent and helped lay the QB foundation that CSL will build upon to bring us another BCSNC  :we:

I totally agree with that assumption as well. A big  :we: back out ya my friend.

And, honestly, Auburn is even more attractive now, because we have two former Heisman winners who played QB, yet we are known as Running Back University because we ALWAYS have running backs, meaning that there isn't pressure to have to step on the field and be anything more than efficient. And, well, you guys know all the other positives, but that's a psychological one that I think cold play to our great advantage when it comes to recruiting QBs going into the future.

Archived