Auburn Pet Names Needed!

Let me tell you about my growing menagerie, currently in my classroom.  Sometime this year, we have had five male Bettas:  Chizik (my favorite, the most active, literally orange and blue), Chette, Kodi Burns, Tim Tebow, and (ahem) Mark Ingram.  (My class is not 100 percent converted yet; they may never be.)  Mark Ingram was the first to die and was sick most of the time.  Try not to laugh.  Chette died next, and, to my horror, I found Chizik on the floor one Saturday afternoon.  He actually leaped out of the bowl, through the fairly decent-sized airhole, but still!  What precision!  As I said, he was the most active, and I was heartbroken.

In my aquarium, I have a red wag platy (really red/orange and blue) named Cam.  I had two small orange/white/blue tropicals, named Darvin and Dyer (the smaller one).  Dyer lasted three days, so I renamed Darvin, "Dyer", and buried Dyer #1 in the class garden (lost, yet?).  THEN, Dyer died..."again".  I bought a tiny white "catfish" which I named Darvin, and he is completely "Smoove" keeping the tank cleaned and Cam entertained.

So I say that to say...much as I LOVE Coach Chizik and Michael Dyer, I do not want to name another fish after either one, right now anyway.  Tonight, we brought home an orange and blue, double-tail male Betta.  Give me some good ideas, Auburn-related, naturally, for this one!

Lets see you can go with Bo,Tiger,Aubie,Pat Sullivan,Jordan,Gus,Trooper or troop,Rudi,Carnell,Ronnie,Stan,Toomers,Pat Dye thats just some! :dunno:

Marsh-  Swim Coach/swimmer

Rowdy

Per ( another Olympian swimmer)

Hawke (current coach)

Quick

Neil, Zac, Ziemba, Blanc,Big Nosa ( my personal fave) or Wade Christopher.... ;D

^^^You got to it before me... :(

Let me tell you about my growing menagerie, currently in my classroom.  Sometime this year, we have had five male Bettas:  Chizik (my favorite, the most active, literally orange and blue), Chette, Kodi Burns, Tim Tebow, and (ahem) Mark Ingram.  (My class is not 100 percent converted yet; they may never be.)  Mark Ingram was the first to die and was sick most of the time.  Try not to laugh.  Chette died next, and, to my horror, I found Chizik on the floor one Saturday afternoon.  He actually leaped out of the bowl, through the fairly decent-sized airhole, but still!  What precision!  As I said, he was the most active, and I was heartbroken.

In my aquarium, I have a red wag platy (really red/orange and blue) named Cam.  I had two small orange/white/blue tropicals, named Darvin and Dyer (the smaller one).  Dyer lasted three days, so I renamed Darvin, "Dyer", and buried Dyer #1 in the class garden (lost, yet?).  THEN, Dyer died..."again".  I bought a tiny white "catfish" which I named Darvin, and he is completely "Smoove" keeping the tank cleaned and Cam entertained.

So I say that to say...much as I LOVE Coach Chizik and Michael Dyer, I do not want to name another fish after either one, right now anyway.  Tonight, we brought home an orange and blue, double-tail male Betta.  Give me some good ideas, Auburn-related, naturally, for this one!

Conversion = Passing Grade...looks pretty simple to me!  :laugh:

Thanks, ya'll!  Considering he's a DOUBLE fin, I decided he needed a double name.  I'm going with two of the unsung reasons behind THE season...two GREAT Senior leaders, "Ziemba-Zac".  Loved their leadership and example...loved their perseverance and strength.  Loved Ziemba's brawn and Zac's spirit!  Ziemba's tough defense of team critics; Zac's quick effort to give the credit to God.  Zac's a safety, and "The Blind Side" taught me that LT is all about "safety" for the QB!  Yes, the senior leadership was credited by countless from Cam to Coach Chizik.  We will miss it, and I'm ready for new leaders to surface!

Calling him ZZ for short.  Thinking Shug is coming one day...and Toomer's pretty great, too!  And yeah, probably Michael Oher!

:believe:

Just a quick question. Are you keeping all these fish in the same tank? And what size tank? I'm sure you know, but bettas are very aggressive fish if kept with the same kind, and that could be why you keep losing fish

Thanks, ya'll!  Considering he's a DOUBLE fin, I decided he needed a double name.  I'm going with two of the unsung reasons behind THE season...two GREAT Senior leaders, "Ziemba-Zac".  Loved their leadership and example...loved their perseverance and strength.  Loved Ziemba's brawn and Zac's spirit!  Ziemba's tough defense of team critics; Zac's quick effort to give the credit to God.  Zac's a safety, and "The Blind Side" taught me that LT is all about "safety" for the QB!  Yes, the senior leadership was credited by countless from Cam to Coach Chizik.  We will miss it, and I'm ready for new leaders to surface!

Calling him ZZ for short.  Thinking Shug is coming one day...and Toomer's pretty great, too!  And yeah, probably Michael Oher!

:believe:

I still think "Lutzy" is a good name.  I'm gonna name my next dog that.

Just a quick question. Are you keeping all these fish in the same tank? And what size tank? I'm sure you know, but bettas are very aggressive fish if kept with the same kind, and that could be why you keep losing fish

Not only that, they are very slow. Other fish have a tendency to pick them apart.

LOVE the name Lutzy.  Meant to keep that one in the running, too.

Fisherman...you are right.  But no, I'm not.  I researched it pretty extensively, because, believe me, anytime you risk having a classroom pet, especially with five-year-olds, the mourning is going to be exponential if anything happens to them.  Contrary to what they're sold in, and skeptical of the rumors of the sufficiency of East Asian muddy ditches for existence, each male betta is in its own gallon-or-more container, with regular water changes and adequate-but-not-overfeeding.  Cam and Darvin co-exist happily in a 2-gallon tank with filtration, as recommended by the pet store.  That size tank shouldn't have any more guests in order to be fair to their adult size, and I know even that size is smaller than I would have liked.  I do think Dyer and Dyer II were never meant to cohabitate with Cam, because they did end up looking picked on (though I could never catch him!) but then, I was following another pet store employee's suggestions.  Live and learn.

My other mistake was underestimating Chizik's ability to jump with precision coordination through one of three air holes projectile onto the tile in front of the sink.  This, when the bowl sat directly against the wall.  I can't blame Mark Ingram for being the first to die...how could he live when our oxygen is tinted orange and blue?  :-)

Having him in the first place was a consolation for our little Bama fans, but he was quite pretty.  But I will tell you this....Chizik was maladjusted for about two months until THE VERY DAY Mark Ingram died, and then his stunts and personally really came alive.  Yes, they were in separate bowls, but next to each other.  Thought that was pretty interesting.

Thanks for the great reminder that male bettas should never inhabit the same space.  And even those divided tanks are too small for most to mature and thrive.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Meant to say his stunts and PERSONALITY!!  TGIF!!!

Ya'll have a good one!

Well seems like you have done your research quite well! Your fish seem to have a perfect home. I'm sorry youve lost so many. I dread checking my tank every morning and seeing one of my fish have jumped out or something, ha. Its amazing how much of a personality fish can have, like cam seems to have.

Also, if you do look to add a different fish to your aquarium, I would highly recommend danios. I've got for right now, and they NEVER sit still. I'm sure your kids would love them. They are also extremely hardy, probably one of the toughest fish out there. They even have genetically engineered ones that are bright red our yellow. Just thought id pass that along to you

Thanks, Fisherman!  I'm surely still learning!  As I said, those who know way more than I would cringe that the Bettas aren't in even a larger container, even separate.  I can't believe how they are sold in stores...I keep thinking anything would be an improvement!

What is funny to me is my own impatience...it really does take each new fish time to get adjusted.  Ziemba-Zac didn't want to eat for two days, but now, he is right on it!  Thank you for the great info...I may get brave and add a danio one day if I get a larger tank. 

Honestly, just from my research, your bettas should be fine. Alot of people like to get all riled up about tank size and what not, and for some fish, especially ones who are very fast swimmers, is warranted. But bettas don't really move all that much, so as long as the water parameters are kept in range, there's nothing to worry about. I honestly have no idea how they survive in stores in those little jars. Going off that, I hate walking through a walmart that sells fish where they just have all types of fish clumped together that do not get along in the slightest, and some are getting torn up.

But off my soapbox now. As for the danios, you should have no problems. Mine have gone through so much that would've killed most any fish, but they're still lively as ever. They've survived being dumped in a tank without being acclimated, horrible water conditions, and even a 3 hour move in a plastic bucket. And they're incredibly outgoing. I have an air stone in my tank and they like to see how far they can swim through the bubbles before reaching the top of the tank. It's endlessly entertaining

But off my soapbox now. As for the danios, you should have no problems. Mine have gone through so much that would've killed most any fish, but they're still lively as ever. They've survived being dumped in a tank without being acclimated, horrible water conditions, and even a 3 hour move in a plastic bucket. And they're incredibly outgoing. I have an air stone in my tank and they like to see how far they can swim through the bubbles before reaching the top of the tank. It's endlessly entertaining

^^^ leybonghit.gif ^^^

Archived