HUGE Unexpected Recruiting News Coming Within 24 hours!

AUSportTalk

is there any news on the progress of his shoulder?

MB had surgery on his shoulder on Jan. 26. He was expected to be FULLY recovered by fall practice. From everything that I've heard, his rehab went fine, and his recovery is on schedule. AU will almost certainly apply for him to be eligible for 2011 (it can't hurt to try), but there is a VERY, VERY, VERY small chance that it will be granted.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blakely and Muschamp had a meeting and decided since he was hired and they will be running a pro style offense that it would be better for Blakely to move on since he signed under the previous staff. Great move for both parties. It's that simple. He didn't want Blakely to have to be restricted to where he could go b/c of something as simple as the coaching staff going in another direction on the offense.

THIS^^^!! Also guys/gals, for any of you who may be still saying, "Why are we taking this guy, when we weren't his first choice?"... Well, I can tell you that technically we WERE his first choice! Blakely visited AU a total of FOUR TIMES over last year, and his OV to AU was the ONLY OV that he took! That is what made SEVERAL folks (including myself) believe that it was pretty much a "sure thing" that he was going to commit to AU! But then late last fall UF started recruiting Blakely after they missed out on their "#1" in Mike Bellamy, who committed/signed with Clemson, after having LONG thought to be a gator "lock". Well, it was no secret that Blakely had grown up a uf fan, and we later found out that Blakely had two sets of "guardians".... one set who he stayed with on a regular day-to-day basis and one set of "academic guardians", who helped him with his schooling apparently. Well, apparently all of these folks, along with SEVERAL others close to him at the time, were either uf grads or fans of the gators, and they ALL began to STRONGLY push MB to commit to uf! Also, at that time, Coach Meyer put the "full court press" on MB, and told him God knows what to try and get him to sign! Well, obviously the pressure got to be too much, and MB caved and as we all know signed with uf. Fast foward to when Meyer decided to leave fla and they decided to bring in CWM, CCW, and a whole new offense (like ST said above).... one which would NOT suit a RB like MB very much! Add to that the fact that Blakely apparently was VERY unhappy with several other things at uf! Apparently the previous staff had made a LOT of "promises" that the new staff had NO intentions of keeping, and MB was left thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?" Well, I for one know that I've made the same mistake myself several times in the past! And I'm NOT going to hold it against Blakely for doing it! Luckily, Coach Muschamp is a VERY, VERY high-class, understanding man (I've met him several times, so I can vouch for that!), and he gave Mike the opportunity to "follow his heart" to the place that he should've been ALL ALONG.... AUBURN!!  :)

So to me, it does NOT matter HOW this young man found his way home, it's the fact that he DID find his way home! And I am VERY, VERY happy that he did!

:we:

Blakely and Muschamp had a meeting and decided since he was hired and they will be running a pro style offense that it would be better for Blakely to move on since he signed under the previous staff. Great move for both parties. It's that simple. He didn't want Blakely to have to be restricted to where he could go b/c of something as simple as the coaching staff going in another direction on the offense.

THIS^^^!! Also guys/gals, for any of you who may be still saying, "Why are we taking this guy, when we weren't his first choice?"... Well, I can tell you that technically we WERE his first choice! Blakely visited AU a total of FOUR TIMES over last year, and his OV to AU was the ONLY OV that he took! That is what made SEVERAL folks (including myself) believe that it was pretty much a "sure thing" that he was going to commit to AU! But then late last fall UF started recruiting Blakely after they missed out on their "#1" in Mike Bellamy, who committed/signed with Clemson, after having LONG thought to be a gator "lock". Well, it was no secret that Blakely had grown up a uf fan, and we later found out that Blakely had two sets of "guardians".... one set who he stayed with on a regular day-to-day basis and one set of "academic guardians", who helped him with his schooling apparently. Well, apparently all of these folks, along with SEVERAL others close to him at the time, were either uf grads or fans of the gators, and they ALL began to STRONGLY push MB to commit to uf! Also, at that time, Coach Meyer put the "full court press" on MB, and told him God knows what to try and get him to sign! Well, obviously the pressure got to be too much, and MB caved and as we all know signed with uf. Fast foward to when Meyer decided to leave fla and they decided to bring in CWM, CCW, and a whole new offense (like ST said above).... one which would NOT suit a RB like MB very much! Add to that the fact that Blakely apparently was VERY unhappy with several other things at uf! Apparently the previous staff had made a LOT of "promises" that the new staff had NO intentions of keeping, and MB was left thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?" Well, I for one know that I've made the same mistake myself several times in the past! And I'm NOT going to hold it against Blakely for doing it! Luckily, Coach Muschamp is a VERY, VERY high-class, understanding man (I've met him several times, so I can vouch for that!), and he gave Mike the opportunity to "follow his heart" to the place that he should've been ALL ALONG.... AUBURN!!  :)

So to me, it does NOT matter HOW this young man found his way home, it's the fact that he DID find his way home! And I am VERY, VERY happy that he did!

Thanks for this DJ. This is an awesome post and totally true. Mike Blakely, we welcome you HOME to AUBURN UNIVERSITY. I can't wait to cheer you on when you step on that field. And again, as DJ said, WELCOME HOME MIKE BLAKELY!

I,like a lot of us, followed MB's recruiting story very closely, and my recollection is spot on to DJs.  But now the question:  I perceive MB as being a very hard, yet shifty, running back much in the mold of Michael Dyer, and even Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. So, with that said, why couldn't he have fit into Charlie Weiss's backfield?  Sure, he is elusive, much like Barry Sanders, but he seems to be able to over-power people also.  Plus, he's got really good size.  Just a question; any thoughts?

I,like a lot of us, followed MB's recruiting story very closely, and my recollection is spot on to DJs.  But now the question:  I perceive MB as being a very hard, yet shifty, running back much in the mold of Michael Dyer, and even Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. So, with that said, why couldn't he have fit into Charlie Weiss's backfield?  Sure, he is elusive, much like Barry Sanders, but he seems to be able to over-power people also.  Plus, he's got really good size.  Just a question; any thoughts?

Exactly.  What is it about the new Fl offense that make MB "unsuitable" for it? 

This sounds like "over-analysis" to me.

Exactly.  What is it about the new Fl offense that make MB "unsuitable" for it? 

This sounds like "over-analysis" to me.

They are going to run a Pro-Style Offense.  The bigger, heavier, more durable backs do better in that style.  I'm not saying smaller backs aren't durable but in the Pro-Style Offense the back will normally get 25 or more carries per game, every game.  I think Muschamp, Weiss and Blakely all agreed that he probably would not fit very well in that style.

You know, anyone who has great potential either throwing the ball, running the ball, catching the ball now know that with CGM running our offense, they have a chance to win an SEC Title, National Championship and be a 1st round draft choice.  Where oh where is there another SEC like that? None that is!

WDE!

Doc

Well said DJ !

I hope the AU Family will embrace MB wholeheartedly. Part of being a teenager is making mistakes, and learning from them. Everyone makes mistakes when they are young. He was pressured, apparently by people he trusted, into making the wrong decision, and now he can make things right for all concerned. Why would anyone see this as a bad thing?

MB feels at home at AU, always did,and now he will be a big contributor. WDE!

I'm warming up to Blakely coming home. At first there was a sour taste in my mouth, but I'm ready for this young man to move on and I'm on board with him. He's an outstanding athlete and is just the back we need. He's an ELITE talent and is heaven sent for a shallow depth chart. WDE Mike!! Now let's piss off a few more Florida fans!!

I look at it like this. The coaches are the guys that were involved in the situation that has some of us uncomfortable. They also have all of the info regarding the situation. If they chose to bring him in, in spite of the situation then I can't get too upset about it.

I'd prefer it to not upset the current running backs but it's not my consequences to handle(if it does).

Wow, three commitments this quick is really something. I really really want Kwon Alexander and Keith Marshall. We get those two guys along what we've got already, we may have the best class at Auburn ever! Plus, Geno Smith I'm just starting to get pumped thinking about it. By the way, what about Jeremy Richardson, is that possibility completely gone now?

Wow, three commitments this quick is really something. I really really want Kwon Alexander and Keith Marshall. We get those two guys along what we've got already, we may have the best class at Auburn ever! Plus, Geno Smith I'm just starting to get pumped thinking about it. By the way, what about Jeremy Richardson, is that possibility completely gone now?

I doubt it's over just yet with the commitments, but we might have the best class ever at Auburn even if neither Marshall NOR Alexander are part of it...though I'm sincerely hoping both will be!

You and me both Red. I think we'll get at least one or the other for sure, though.

I don't know man. I think we'll likely get either Marshall or one of the other elite backs (not including Yeldon, because I think he's coming either way), but I'm just not sure about Kwon. There was a time when I thought he was wrapped up in a neat little package, but that time was very brief and before I learned a whole lot about him. Now what I learned isn't bad except that it leads me to believe that our chances with him are, at best, 50/50, and probably not that good. I do hope I'm proven wrong, and I certainly don't know as much about this kid as others do, but...well, let's just say until I hear more positive information about him, I'm not penciling his name in.

Hmm...I get you and I won't ask you to expound upon that information you just gave me. From what I can tell, the situation with Kwon Alexander seems to be quite fluid. At one point, it seems like he's headed to Auburn. Yet soon thereafter, it seems he's a lock to Alabama. I think the pickups we've been getting lately will help us with 5 stars like Alexander. I think we're going to pick up Marshall and Geno Smith and I think that's an awesome tandem. I just felt like we'd either get Marshall or Alexander I'm not too sure we'll get both. I've been beating that Keith Marshall drum a while now but I'm going to keep at it. He's one of those guys that comes around very rarely in my mind.

Hmm...I get you and I won't ask you to expound upon that information you just gave me. From what I can tell, the situation with Kwon Alexander seems to be quite fluid. At one point, it seems like he's headed to Auburn. Yet soon thereafter, it seems he's a lock to Alabama. I think the pickups we've been getting lately will help us with 5 stars like Alexander. I think we're going to pick up Marshall and Geno Smith and I think that's an awesome tandem. I just felt like we'd either get Marshall or Alexander I'm not too sure we'll get both. I've been beating that Keith Marshall drum a while now but I'm going to keep at it. He's one of those guys that comes around very rarely in my mind.

Don't take it to the bank so much; I'm so conflicted because I've heard rumors both ways...but at this point, all I've heard are rumors, and none of it (either way) has come from the sources I really trust, just trying to read between the lines. And, for the record, I'm nowhere near the recruiting expert that DJ, ST, Mayor, etc are, so definitely listen to them before you do me...I just haven't had that good a feeling about Kwon for a while now. DEFINITELY would love to be wrong.

As for Marshall, it's actually gone the other direction. I started out not thinking we were that big of a player for him, but as time has gone on he is starting to look more and more like we have a seriously legitimate shot at him...but again, most of what I've heard is rumor, not solid info.

However, I'd like to qualify this again: I get some tidbits every now and then that most don't hear, and I've learned, like many of you, to read between the lines with recruiting, but I'm not on the level of the actual recruiting gurus here, so don't think I have this vast pool of information or anything.

If there is one thing I've learned lately with recruiting it is to take nothing to the bank. From what I can tell, it just seems like nobody knows what Alexander is going to do one way or the other. I think that's because he doesn't have a clue just yet what he's going to do. I realize recruiting is a crazy game and it can change quicker than the weather in Alabama. I think Kwon would do great at Auburn and hope he comes out but Auburn isn't waiting on anybody this time. They're taking the best and aren't looking to play second fiddle to anybody.

Why is there this big surge for Barry Sanders Jr. and Auburn? I thought that kid was a UA or OK ST maybe lock but it didn't seem as if Auburn was a big player for him. I love the pedigree name, but if I had to choice the running back I want most in this recruiting class, it's Keith Marshall. I'm sure everybody has their favorites too.

I appreciate the good mannered way you put your information out and the way you remain humble and truthful. Too many times on recruiting conversations people love to act like they're in the "know" and you should beg them to come eat at the table with you. I've never cared for that sort of attitude and I really appreciate how the people on this board don't do that sort of thing...for the most part anyway.

Why is there this big surge for Barry Sanders Jr. and Auburn? I thought that kid was a UA or OK ST maybe lock but it didn't seem as if Auburn was a big player for him. I love the pedigree name, but if I had to choice the running back I want most in this recruiting class, it's Keith Marshall. I'm sure everybody has their favorites too.

I'm really not sure why Alabama got tossed so prominently into the mix. I mean, I'm sure he mentioned them at some point, but I haven't heard anything to make me think he's seriously considering going to the crapstone, more that they were a big name program who'd won an NC recently. With Auburn, we do at least have the connection between Luper and his father, not to mention our history with running backs.

As for which one I want more, it's tough. Barry Sanders, Sr, is my favorite running back of all time. I grew up watching him make moves and fit into spaces that human beings just aren't supposed to be capable of, and doing it without a decent offensive line to block for him. If his son even approaches the level that Senior played at, he's going to be on at least a few Heisman ballots before it's over. I just worry about how much of this hype would he be getting if his father weren't arguably the best running back in NFL history, and Marshall looks uber talented.

Oh, here's a tidbit for anyone who might not know. While we all rank Cam's season as the greatest ever in college, there are arguments that could be made for several other players...and one of them is Barry Sanders. In 1988, after sitting behind Thurman Thomas for two years, Sanders put up the most rushing yards (2,600 and change) and total yards (3,200 and change) of any player in the history of the NCAA. And that was in the 11 game regular season, not including the bowl game (seems like he ran for another 200 or so in the bowl). He also scored at least 2 touchdowns every single game, more often 3 or more. Absolutely phenomenal.

So yeah, as much as I like Marshall, I'm not so sure Sanders, Jr, isn't the better back, considering where the talent came from.

Archived