THE POSITIVES THREAD

lewisbr

Receivers played great.

Trotter showed real poise and leadership.

Dyer is the same old Dyer -- excellent running back.

Some of the Freshmen shone brightly.

No turnovers.

Special teams, in general.

Punt receiving was pretty good.

Kickoff returns great.

Kickoffs amazing.

Dismukes.

It seemed much of went wrong can be corrected. It may just take a while to find the best 11 to have on the field. Dee Ford, Blackson, Wright and Florence are going to only get better and they are already pretty good.

All the WRs have game breaking abilities. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. From the looks of it, all Trotter has to do is get someone the ball and watch the show!

Trotter stepped up and became a leader

Not sure how many saw him in either Nosa or Dee's face after the winning TD  :hellyeah:

Yes he was in Nosa's facemask.  Nosa is one of the ones who is gonna have to step up and be a leader and Barrett knows that.  

TRE!!!!!!!

Lutzie!!!!!!!

BT!!!!!!!!

STALLWORTH!!!!

BLAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDGE BLOCKING BY RECEIVERS!!!!

RECIEVERS!!!!!!!!

REED!!!!!!!!!

PARKEY!!!!!!

OMAC!!!!

DYER!!!!!

There are some good things to take away from this too.

A win always helps. Special teams coverage was a bright spot last year, with the only issues being the return. This year, it has expanded and the returns seem to be happening. So kudos to Boulware.

Parkey has really impressed me. Knocking them out of the end zone negates a strong return. Gives the defense two more sets of downs to defend(extra 20 yards).

Harris gaston and Evans made the defense better along with Blackson and Sigler.

Trotter played well today. Threw to different WRs and only missed two passes that I saw.

This was a good learning experience. Gus and other coaches really did not know what this team could do in real competition and while lots of people are complaining about play calling, unti you run...or attempt to run those plays that result in no-gain, you have no idea what the team is capable of.   Most teams make their biggest improvement from week one to week two.  I don't draw many conclusions from this game.

This was a very gutsy win and when the clock was down to 3 minutes to play I expect the only people who thought AU could still win were standing along the sidelines.   Congrats to the coaches for selling that possibility to the kids on the field.  If Chiz had been reading most of the AU blogs, he and Gus would have just tossed in the towel and run out the clock.  These coaches know how to win.  :we: 

Although this might be a stretch, but there are a lot of freshmen that learned never to give up today and fight to the end.  Somewhere down the road that will be valuable to this team.  There is a lot of talent that needs a leader to step up and get them focused!

Special teams:

- Parkey was soo good. Did his leg get that much stronger in one year or was he hurt some last year.

- Kickoff returns - Tre and Quan looked explosive.

- Punting was better than last year.

- return coverage was good

- Punt return was only OK, but I was not sweating it out on if Trovon was going to catch the ball.

Receivers:

- I was very impressed with our receivers Lutz, Blake, Stallworth, McCalleb (sp). I think we need to throw way more and set up the run with throws, and throw it downfield. The receiver look open and can make great YAC.

QB

- I have to give Trotter credit for his overall throwing. He should not have taken the sack. Should have thrown it away. Also, I think the QB has to run some in our offense. He did not look very fast to me. Overall, I give Trotter profs for leadership and he was awesome in the last 3 minutes.

Oline

- Good pass blocking, we will not talk about run blocking.

Defense

- I actually though Nosa played a pretty good game.

Utah State is a good team.  Tons of injuries last year cost them a better record.  Not that the folks at EASports are geniuses, but when I simulated our season when the latest game came out, Utah State beat us 2 out of 3 times. 

The coaches learned a lot about our team and the team learned a lot about themselves.  Young team with a tremendous burden on their shoulders.  This is going to be a fun team to watch grow and develop.

As always, win or lose, "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!"

:believe:

Trotter was solid... not a highlight reel on legs like Cam, but very solid and aware of what's going on around him.  He lead the two winning drives with great poise.

Parkey was top notch.

Clark averaged 43.5 yards per punt and dropped one on the 1 yard line.

They averaged only 2.5 yards per punt return.

Craig Stevens was Craig Stevens... nuf said.

Trovon showed just a little of what he can do... made me excited

Mike Dyer running the Wildcat!

Tre Mason... wow.

Stallworth looks really good, as does Blake.

Mosley's 25 yar pass play... I believe somone on this board called that one earlier in the week.

We are going to be a run-to-set-up-the-run team from this game on.  The line just isn't good enough for use to expect to be able to run against 8 in the box.  We have plenty of legitimate receivers (Blake will be 1st team all-SEC) to force teams to play nickle or dime against or 3 WR 1 TE sets and that will open it up for us.

Otherwise, Blackson looked like a MAN and I think that once the defense decides to be proactive rather than reactive we should be OK.

Blackson seemed very disruptive.

Evans and Holland were everywhere.

BT showed poise and leadership.

The coverage while the ball was in the air was tight.

The Wrs.

All special teamers.

GREAT thread.  I do believe Utah State was a sleeper...and they did have 10 returning starters.

Grateful for the outcome.  Very neat, all of the teachable moments that have come and will come from this first game, for both the Tigers AND the "National Championship Fanbase", that, as well, has a lot to live up to.

One of the great positive plays...a kickoff that went through the uprights!  I think it deserved 3 points even though  that's not the way the game is played! :we:

Positive....when we could get there, red zone offense was outstanding.  No field goals.  All touchdowns.

Receivers are BEAST!  Mason is going to be a huge playmaker.   Need to use the pass to open up the run this year.

Archived