We win this weekend if...

aujess07

-We control both sides of the line. I know the majority of people have been disappointed with the physicality up front, but I believe we saw a slight improvement in the defensive line against FAU. I know it was FAU, but I'll take it for now. Our offensive line has to give Trotter and co. time. IMO, we have enough talent in the skill positions to compete with anybody in this league. We HAVE to get pressure and get off our blocks on the defensive side of the ball in order to get our LB's in the proper positions in the gaps. This will help defend against Lattimore. On offense, we have to slow down the opposing pass rush as well as doing a better job of run blocking.

-We throw on 1st down. I believe the Visor will make stopping the run a priority. IMO, Gus must get Trotter into a rhythm, help his confidence, and we nickle and dime em' to death. This spreads out the defense and opens up Dyer/Omac. Gus needs to open up the playbook. I stated earlier this year that we need to pass the ball to open up the run. If we can give Trotter time, we can spread defenses out and open up running lanes.

-We win the turnover battle. I was excited to see our defense create some turnovers last week. (As stated earlier, FAU, I know). If we can get some pressure on Garcia (see bullet 1), he could become the best player on our team.  :laugh:

-Special teams. I think South Carolina will kick it to Mason. If he can make them pay with big returns, not necessarily for TD's, we can win. All I ask of Bray is to protect the football. Catch it. If he gets 5 yards a return, so be it. Parkey needs to continue being Parkey. If our guys do these things, we can win the field position game which really helps a team win a game.

-T.O.P.: Once again, see bullet 1,2. We have to continue to improve on 3rd down conversions on offense and stops on defense. Our D will get much needed rest and play better if we can keep the offense on the field for longer drives. I think many of us are taking T.O.P. for granted. Our defense is young, and we need all the rest we can get. 

Guys, these are only things I've been thinking about the past few days. It's all opinionated, as I am not a coach nor do I claim to be. I believe in expressing disappointment when our guys do not perform well, but I refuse to dwell on it or criticize too harshly. I view the cup as being half full and focus on what we need to do to improve. I do believe that if we accomplish the things I've listed, we can win this ballgame!

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

My main concern is third down on both sides of the ball.  I know fist and second down set up third down, but we have to execute on third downs.  Get off the field on defense to give our offense some snaps, and extend some drives on offense and keep our defense off the field.

Also, we need to continue our special teams play and win the turnover battle.

It's pretty simple:

1) Be less predictable on both side of the ball <-- probably the most important thing

2) Block better on the edges

3) Learn to slide off blocks on defense

4) Take good angles and wrap up

Those four things should be enough for the win.

It's pretty simple:

1) Be less predictable on both side of the ball <-- probably the most important thing

2) Block better on the edges

3) Learn to slide off blocks on defense

4) Take good angles and wrap up

Those four things should be enough for the win.

Short and simple and well thought out. I like it. Sounds about right to me!

Our problem with Lat is not going to be off tackle or sweeps.  If he stays in to block and releases out on a screen...we haven't stopped that yet.  Clemson burned us.....FAU burned us...and SC will...if we don't cover it better.

South Carolina shows up at JH thinking it was an away game and we win by forfeit.

Seriously, we will need to make stops on 3rd down, tackle and pick off a few Garcia ducks and then anything can happen.

Lattimore rushes for < 100, and Garcia throws > 2 int's

We will not control the line of scrimmage on either side, I think that's a pipe dream. We couldn't do it against FAU, we aren't coming close to it at USCe. BUT, if we tackle well when given the chance, we can still contain Lattimore to a manageable rushing day, and then we just have to hope that Garcia gives us the game IMO.

You know you are  in trouble when you concede controlling the line of scrimmage and hoping for a miracle.

All we can do is fight and scratch and concede nothing, keep it close and play for a big play late.

Other than that, put it into the win column. :)

...Spurrier wants to get cute and go away from what they can do to take advantage of us. Think more Garcia and less Lattimore. Obviously we have a lot we can work on, maybe Carolina will help us out and not take advantage of our deficiencies too much.

-We control both sides of the line. I know the majority of people have been disappointed with the physicality up front, but I believe we saw a slight improvement in the defensive line against FAU. I know it was FAU, but I'll take it for now. Our offensive line has to give Trotter and co. time. IMO, we have enough talent in the skill positions to compete with anybody in this league. We HAVE to get pressure and get off our blocks on the defensive side of the ball in order to get our LB's in the proper positions in the gaps. This will help defend against Lattimore. On offense, we have to slow down the opposing pass rush as well as doing a better job of run blocking.

-We throw on 1st down. I believe the Visor will make stopping the run a priority. IMO, Gus must get Trotter into a rhythm, help his confidence, and we nickle and dime em' to death. This spreads out the defense and opens up Dyer/Omac. Gus needs to open up the playbook. I stated earlier this year that we need to pass the ball to open up the run. If we can give Trotter time, we can spread defenses out and open up running lanes.

-We win the turnover battle. I was excited to see our defense create some turnovers last week. (As stated earlier, FAU, I know). If we can get some pressure on Garcia (see bullet 1), he could become the best player on our team.  :laugh:

-Special teams. I think South Carolina will kick it to Mason. If he can make them pay with big returns, not necessarily for TD's, we can win. All I ask of Bray is to protect the football. Catch it. If he gets 5 yards a return, so be it. Parkey needs to continue being Parkey. If our guys do these things, we can win the field position game which really helps a team win a game.

-T.O.P.: Once again, see bullet 1,2. We have to continue to improve on 3rd down conversions on offense and stops on defense. Our D will get much needed rest and play better if we can keep the offense on the field for longer drives. I think many of us are taking T.O.P. for granted. Our defense is young, and we need all the rest we can get. 

Guys, these are only things I've been thinking about the past few days. It's all opinionated, as I am not a coach nor do I claim to be. I believe in expressing disappointment when our guys do not perform well, but I refuse to dwell on it or criticize too harshly. I view the cup as being half full and focus on what we need to do to improve. I do believe that if we accomplish the things I've listed, we can win this ballgame!

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

Tackle, move the ball, get off the field on third down :)

.....if we score more pts than USC at the end of the game! ;p *snicker*

on a serious note: if we convert on 3rd downs and stop USC from converting 3rd downs.

If we "pound the rock" and convert on 3rd downs. Trotter has to run when he sees the opportunity on some of these conversions.

If we can get to Garcia early. Throw in a run blitz or 2 and do not let them beat us between the tackles. Garcia can get rattled but we need to do it early.

:believe:

Archived