Saban Oversigning

watsontiger98

Doesn't this amount to some kind of LOI that either exceeds the number that bama can have and/or is giving outside the allowed time frame?

--  How did Nick Saban explain it to you? “Coach Saban said he wished he would’ve been able to tell me this in August instead of now.  He said the only reason he can’t sign me is because he can’t sign 26 people. They can only sign 25 people. He said he was going to sign me with the next class. But he also said he would sign a piece of paper to show that they are keeping their word – they are going to sign it and they want me to sign it to make sure I know I still have my scholarship.”

I honestly believe this amounts to a violation of signing rules.  Satan is in reality creating his own early signing period.  By signing a letter, he is creating a binding contract with this kid and violating NCAA rules.  This needs to be reported by someone who knows how to go about it.  NCAA needs to have a look.

I doubt it's a NCAA violation since it's not official NLI or scholarship papers. Sounds like it is just written on a standard piece of paper with Saban's sig on it done to ease the kid. Yes it is a rouse bu Saban but not illegal even though morally wrong.

I guess Saban gives those to all the recruits he accepts their verbals from to prove he really will keep his word and have a scholarship for them... and just forgot to give him one before? ;D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't this amount to some kind of LOI that either exceeds the number that bama can have and/or is giving outside the allowed time frame?

--  How did Nick Saban explain it to you? “Coach Saban said he wished he would’ve been able to tell me this in August instead of now.  He said the only reason he can’t sign me is because he can’t sign 26 people. They can only sign 25 people. He said he was going to sign me with the next class. But he also said he would sign a piece of paper to show that they are keeping their word – they are going to sign it and they want me to sign it to make sure I know I still have my scholarship.”

I honestly believe this amounts to a violation of signing rules.  Satan is in reality creating his own early signing period.  By signing a letter, he is creating a binding contract with this kid and violating NCAA rules.  This needs to be reported by someone who knows how to go about it.  NCAA needs to have a look.

I doubt it's a NCAA violation since it's not official NLI or scholarship papers. Sounds like it is just written on a standard piece of paper with Saban's sig on it done to ease the kid. Yes it is a rouse bu Saban but not illegal even though morally wrong.

Actually, if Saban signs a piece of paper, it's a legally binding contract.  It doesn't matter if it's signed on toilet paper.  I have no clue what NCAA rules have to say about this, but it could be conveyed as signing a commit.  

Actually, if Saban signs a piece of paper, it's a legally binding contract.  It doesn't matter if it's signed on toilet paper.  I have no clue what NCAA rules have to say about this, but it could be conveyed as signing a commit.

That's why I don't believe this. No coach would ever leave this kind of paper trail. 

In the courts yes legally binding but in many cases the NCAA is above the courts which is one of the bigger problems in college sports. They make and interpret their own rules.

Hey folks, after a little thought I believe Nick Saban was just playing Justin Taylor.  The article said "he would sign" not that "he did sign".  I doubt Nick Saban would sign a paper saying that and will deny he said he would if in fact he did.  It was a bluff to a young and overwhelmed kid to calm him down and control him.  And if it comes to anything, Nick Saban will deny it.

Jason Dufner tweet:

Jason Dufner (@JasonDufner)

1/16/12 9:15 AM

Let the grey shirting begin for the 2012 Alabama recruits. What's funny is these kids are so clueless, they actual go with it..  :laugh:

In the courts yes legally binding but in many cases the NCAA is above the courts which is one of the bigger problems in college sports. They make and interpret their own rules.

The NCAA doesn't allow early signing for a reason.  It may not be an official NLI, but it is still a legally binding agreement.  I, too, don't think he would be stupid enough to put his name to it, but if he did, I think it violates the spirit of NCAA signing rules, and possibly the actual rules themselves.

I bet you won't see an article about this in a local newspaper here in Alabama.

If the Birmingham News wrote this article the title would read "Saban's kind hart gives a Georgia High school kid another chance of his dream; playing for the Crimson Tide"

On the bright side, this is one running back we will never have to face in the SEC.  He won't see the field at bama, and nobody else will get him.

I doubt he has a future with bama.  If they push you back for better players one year, either they will do it again the next year because they think they have 25 better ones from hs/jc or they will give you one for a short time period and then cut you to get under the 85 cap.  There are two caps he has to clear at bama, the 25 one and then the 85 one.  I don't like his chances.

I wonder how this kid would feel if it turned out that Kwon Alexander signed with Bama. He also had an injury this past season. I just cannot believe this kid is this naive or stupid or whatever you want to call it. It could turn out that he's playing Saban for the fool---wouldn't that be nice if someone turned the cards on him?

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/15/nick-saban-tells-star-atlanta-rb-to-wait-until-next-year-to-sign-with-alabama/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

This is what drives me nuts. This kid basically looks to me like he was pushed down the priority list because sabear snaked us out of yeldon. And he still says the coach is keeping his commitment? Dude, you was supposed to have a scholly this year.

When are players going to wise up to how he operates? He will dump you when someone better comes along. He's not commited to you. Why do you commit to him?

It amazes me.

My wife is an Alabama fan. :beatmullet: I talked to her about the Justin Taylor situation. I tried to explain that this RB is basically being pushed out by Saban so he can have another RB that may be better; even though the kid gave his word back in August.

She says that the kid does not have any proof that this actually happened. :dunno: She says that because  :devil: is winning, there may be people that will make things up.  "Is anyone else having the same problem? What are the parents saying? Did he sign anything?  Money talks, b........ walks." This is the mentality of that fanbase. She can't name the first player on that team, but she's an Alabama fan.

Of course, we argued to the point that I said, "You know what, you win."  It's like talking to a rock. I feel for this kid. It's sad when someone has so much power that they can push a kid aside, and the kid doesn't have the capacity to understand what is happening.

Oh, but  :devil: will make sure he finds a job for the kid. While that nutcase is at it, he can find me a job.

But he ("Saban") also said he would sign a piece of paper to show that they are keeping their word – they are going to sign it and they want me to sign it to make sure I know I still have my scholarship-Justin Taylor

Interesting that they want Justin to sign the paper.  If Saban is promising something...only Saban needs to sign.  Wonder what the paper says?????

But he ("Saban") also said he would sign a piece of paper to show that they are keeping their word – they are going to sign it and they want me to sign it to make sure I know I still have my scholarship-Justin Taylor

Interesting that they want Justin to sign the paper.  If Saban is promising something...only Saban needs to sign.  Wonder what the paper says?????

Would it be subject to open records laws?  It is an official signed document executed by a state institution.

notice that article made no mention of the "and alabama is gonna get me a job" statement that ajc had reported.  i have a feeling the recruit wasn't supposed to mention that tid bit. 

Mmmmmmm, I love the smell of lawsuit in the morning.

Unfortunately for the kid he will be in too much of denial and not smart enough when he gets screwed.

Would getting this kid a job be classified as a "benefit" to this kid?  And if so, is this benefit something the school would do for any other HS kid ...keeping in mind that the kid is a "recruit" and not a UAT student ?    So if it''s ok in this case, then any college could find "real jobs" for HS kids during the recruiting season?    Don't think so.  :dunno:

Archived