Arkansas Game #2

jwmboom7

I dont know why auburn cant make free throws, but the last three coaches which is far back as i recall have not had any good free throw shooting teams. As far as talent, we just dont match up with the top sec teams and then you dont cash in on freebies either. I do see improvement,and frustration on barbee's face. I think its more likely barbee is hired away than fired. We need to get lucky and have one or two newcomers just catch fire. That is the only way we get a tradition started so recruiting opens up for us.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

Barbee's seat is warming up for next year.  I fully expect a quality season next year, but my confidence of that is shrinking daily.  The coaching job this year has been pretty bad.  I hope some better talent coming in turns things around.  If we look this bad at the middle of next year, CB won't make it to the end of the year imo.

I try to respect all opinions on here, but this is ridiculous. PLEASE tell me how the coaching has been "pretty bad." We've already won three more games than we did all of last year w/ basically the same talent (addition of Ward being the exception). Do I need to reminder people that we were arguably the WORST team in DI basketball last year, and Barbee is doing the best with what he's got.

His seat is warming up next year?!?!  :laugh: We're very lucky to have Barbee. The guy is a basketball coach, not a miracle worker. As painful as is it to wait on, it's gonna take time to improve the talent on this team, and he's already doing it by bringing in a top 25 class next year. Barbee can't defend, he can't shoot free throws and he can't obey the rules (Ward/Denson) for the players. He's doing an adequate job considering the poor level of talent that's still on this team.

If we're still bad and just winning 4/5 games in conference play in Barbee's fourth year, I will agree with this. But right now, this comment is beyond stupid.

Read what you want to and ignore the rest I guess is the philosophy here.  I clearly said I expect to have a good team next year, BUT if we look this bad next year, he may be gone sooner than later.  Yes, we are low on talent, but if, in his THIRD year, we are still looking lost for half of the game, can't make free throws and fall apart at the end of the game, his coaching is to blame AT THAT POINT.  Hence why I said for NEXT YEAR.  He may not shoot free throws, but I played BBall for 3 years total and I shot better free throws than guys on this team.  Free throws are one of the easiest things to practice and coach.  Good coaches don't allow free throws to get this bad, especially for 2 straight years... Is he better than Lebo, yes, Is that all we require though?  At the beginning of this season, alot of people were exited about how good we could be THIS year expecting a shot at the post season (probably NIT at a long shot-but atleast a shot).  We are probably going to finish 4-12 in the SEC with any post season hopes gone by mid-season.    All I am saying is that we pretty much suck this year.  If we still suck in his 3rd year, he hasn't done the job he was paid to do.  3 straight years of sucking and anyones seat would be getting hot.  Recruiting doesn't fix everything...ask Ron Zook.  Saying that someone's comment is stupid because they expect improvement or consequences in a coaches third year is beyond stupid  ;) Let me finish by saying again, I fully expect a quality season next year!

Barbee's seat is warming up for next year.  I fully expect a quality season next year, but my confidence of that is shrinking daily.  The coaching job this year has been pretty bad.  I hope some better talent coming in turns things around.  If we look this bad at the middle of next year, CB won't make it to the end of the year imo.

I try to respect all opinions on here, but this is ridiculous. PLEASE tell me how the coaching has been "pretty bad." We've already won three more games than we did all of last year w/ basically the same talent (addition of Ward being the exception). Do I need to reminder people that we were arguably the WORST team in DI basketball last year, and Barbee is doing the best with what he's got.

His seat is warming up next year?!?!  :laugh: We're very lucky to have Barbee. The guy is a basketball coach, not a miracle worker. As painful as is it to wait on, it's gonna take time to improve the talent on this team, and he's already doing it by bringing in a top 25 class next year. Barbee can't defend, he can't shoot free throws and he can't obey the rules (Ward/Denson) for the players. He's doing an adequate job considering the poor level of talent that's still on this team.

If we're still bad and just winning 4/5 games in conference play in Barbee's fourth year, I will agree with this. But right now, this comment is beyond stupid.

Read what you want to and ignore the rest I guess is the philosophy here.  I clearly said I expect to have a good team next year, BUT if we look this bad next year, he may be gone sooner than later.  Yes, we are low on talent, but if, in his THIRD year, we are still looking lost for half of the game, can't make free throws and fall apart at the end of the game, his coaching is to blame AT THAT POINT.  Hence why I said for NEXT YEAR.  He may not shoot free throws, but I played BBall for 3 years total and I shot better free throws than guys on this team.  Free throws are one of the easiest things to practice and coach.  Good coaches don't allow free throws to get this bad, especially for 2 straight years... Is he better than Lebo, yes, Is that all we require though?  At the beginning of this season, alot of people were exited about how good we could be THIS year expecting a shot at the post season (probably NIT at a long shot-but atleast a shot).  We are probably going to finish 4-12 in the SEC with any post season hopes gone by mid-season.    All I am saying is that we pretty much suck this year.  If we still suck in his 3rd year, he hasn't done the job he was paid to do.  3 straight years of sucking and anyones seat would be getting hot.  Recruiting doesn't fix everything...ask Ron Zook.  Saying that someone's comment is stupid because they expect improvement or consequences in a coaches third year is beyond stupid  ;) Let me finish by saying again, I fully expect a quality season next year!

I completely disagree with this comment:  "The coaching job this year has been pretty bad".

The best measuremet of a basketball team to me is how it does when the game is on the line.  This is the most discouraging thing about our team this year.  They have been in position to win so many of these games this year and seem to be close to equal on a talent basis with all of the teams on our side of the league.  No one is coming through to make the clutch shot or free throw when the game is on the line.

I'm still hoping for a good run in the SEC tournament.  The bottom 8 in the league all look pretty beatable to me.

Keep on keepin' on!

:we:

You got a point Shug, but then I think that they should have kept Nell.

I'm a big fan of Nell Fortner too.  I met her once when she was on a local recruiting trip.  Talked to her for about 15-20 minutes.  I really enjoyed meeting her.  Great lady.  She had a very impressive resume before arriving at AU, and seemed to be really building something here.  I don't understand what happened the last couple of years but I was surprised.  I'm disappointed things worked out like they did. 

Anybody that thinks Coach Barbee did a poor job this year should not even watch AU basketball. He can only do so much with what he has. What Lebo left him with should be a sin. Barbee is a great coach which he has proven, and we are a lot better this year than last year. Just look at the job he did at UTEP. Each year his teams got better and better by 4 or 5 games a year. Just give him at least 2 more years to make any sort of judgement. He basically had to start from scratch and that might be an understatement. Just my $.02.  :wareagle:

You got a point Shug, but then I think that they should have kept Nell.

I'm a big fan of Nell Fortner too.  I met her once when she was on a local recruiting trip.  Talked to her for about 15-20 minutes.  I really enjoyed meeting her.  Great lady.  She had a very impressive resume before arriving at AU, and seemed to be really building something here.  I don't understand what happened the last couple of years but I was surprised.   I'm disappointed things worked out like they did. 

We should have stuck with her.

I trust her explanation...she said it was her decision and I accept that. Why are so many people convinced that she is not telling the truth? 

Some people actually know when it's their time to go...when they have lost their fire.  I think that's the case with Nell and expect she will pretty quickly be doing TV work.  Good for her.  I appreciate her work and hope she stays connected to AU.

I trust her explanation...she said it was her decision and I accept that. Why are so many people convinced that she is not telling the truth?   

Some people actually know when it's their time to go...when they have lost their fire.  I think that's the case with Nell and expect she will pretty quickly be doing TV work.  Good for her.  I appreciate her work and hope she stays connected to AU.

I hope I did not imply that I didn't believe her.  I'm just a fan and was disappointed to lose her.

On the other hand, JJ has done an AUsome job with his hires so far and I look forward to seeing him find another quality coach for women's basketball.

I hope I did not imply that I didn't believe her.  I'm just a fan and was disappointed to lose her.

On the other hand, JJ has done an AUsome job with his hires so far and I look forward to seeing him find another quality coach for women's basketball.

I certainly believe her - just had hoped that we could have kept her on and talked her into staying. Does not matter now - move on.

Sorry to jump on you blue....just that I had seen some comments elsewhere that implied that she did not jump but that JJ pushed her....and that people were shading the truth.....I guess I was overly sensitive to the matter.

Sorry to jump on you blue....just that I had seen some comments elsewhere that implied that she did not jump but that JJ pushed her....and that people were shading the truth.....I guess I was overly sensitive to the matter.

Me2. Everything is made for love.

Ward and Denson have been suspended indefinitely by Coach Barbee for violation of team rules.  Doubtful they return this season. 

i doubt Denson ever returns

What makes you say that?

Ward and Denson have been suspended indefinitely by Coach Barbee for violation of team rules.  Doubtful they return this season. 

i doubt Denson ever returns

What makes you say that?

signed 4 only 3 scholarships. somebody has got to go and his minutes have gotten smaller as the season goes on he plays no defense and now that he got this supension it looks like he is the most likely person to get the boot

Don't we play bammer next? if so, what % do we really have of beating the bammers? I'd say 10 to 15%. I believe Arky got their first conference road win this season against us.

Don't we play bammer next? if so, what % do we really have of beating the bammers? I'd say 10 to 15%. I believe Arky got their first conference road win this season against us.

That's actually more than I'd give it. I think it's going to get ugly, which pisses me off just thinking about. So tired of losing to them.

.0001 % if we still have the same starting C as last game...

Archived