2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

The real problem is we don't have a good qb yet that can comand the offense. if we did we would have won last night.'

We really need to start chasing top tier qb's hard. right now all we have is one in frazier so we are playing the best we got. other top ten teams have two or three they are working with and one emerges as the real deal. we need do go after a pro style quarterback if that is what offense we are going to run. what good is it to have a dual threat qb if you won't let him run. I also think the coaches didn't use fraziers talent by letting him run some last night they took away his dual threat capability. if we don't want a running qb lets get one that can throw the ball with some accuracy. auburn seams to struggle in recruiting top tier qb or developing them. we have had alot of crappie qb over the last couple years. why can't we recruit good qb's. we seam to always get passed over by the top qb's in most classes why?

We need to change that if we are going to win a championship. you have to have a great qb.

This staff has gone after high quality QBs

2009 - Tyrik Rollison, four star 6.0 by Rivals and #2 dual threat QB

2010 - Cameron Newton, 5 star 6.1 by Rivals and we know how that turned out

2011 - Kiehl Frazier, four star 5.9 by Rivals and #5 dual threat QB

2012 - Zeke Pike, well we know how that went

2013 - Jeremy Johnson, four star 5.8 by Rivals and #10 pro QB for now

This staff has always had a goal of targeting one quality QB with each class and I would say with the exception of Pike they have done that. I think he had the talent just not the mindset. However we don't know about Wallace just yet.

With this being the first year in Loeffler's offence I think Johnson is a pretty good pickup. While he is big and athletic, 6' 6" and 215, he is a pocket passer. If you watch Johnson's film you will see that he is a gamer.

As for Frazier you do have to remember the system that he was brought in under. He was not brought in under a pro style offence. However during his senior year of high school he had almost 3,000 yards of passing. You don't throw for almost 3,000 yards without having some natural ability. Also this was his first start and I would say first time really playing at QB since 2010. Sure he threw 12 passes last year but Uzomah threw three passes and we are not calling him a QB.

if you look at your list none of them were developed or panned out. cam newton was already developed and was a jr college transfer. frazier is the best on the list that is still there. trotter was a four star to i think.. why is it that the top teams in the nation have a great qb year in and year out. we seam to get passed over by the top qb's in each class and then want to act like a three star qb who might get a fourth star is the best in the nation. why can't we get a guy that is ready to come in and play.

Your first issue was that we were not going after and not getting quality QB's. Well we clearly have been going after and getting quality QB's. As I stated this was Kiehl's first game playing QB since he was a senior in high school. I'm not going to base Kiehl's QB development on one game. He has had one preseason to work with his new QB coach, who actually develops QB's unlike the last one. Loeffler has a proven track record when it comes to working with QB's. I mean

[Tom] Brady is close enough with Loeffler that he placed a phone call to congratulate the new Auburn coordinator after the Patriots' AFC championship win.

If Pike was still here I would like to see where you get the development issues on him from... Sure some guys don't pan out, DeAngelo Benton is a great example. I'm not sure where you get to notion to blame that on the current staff though. CGM was never really a QB developer. He is great a calling plays but QB development was not his strong suit. Also going back to CTT days Kodi Burns was highly regarded coming out of high school however his development was thrown off by the QB coaching. Based on the past coaches I can see why a high quality QB would look else where. Like I said Loeffler has the track record of producing great QBs so the book is still out on him.

Barrett Trotter was a low ranked 3 star as was Clint Moseley. I don't think anyone was saying they were the best in the nation. There are very few QBs coming out of high school that are good enough to start day one unless the QBs already there just don't cut it.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just dont understand weve recruited just as good talent or better than bama but there just keep reloading.. Is it better coaching?

The only reason we lost to clemson was that they had better players. We have talented coaches with solid track records, they did not forget how to coach over night.

While we may have matched UAT's recruiting on paper, a lot the marquee names we signed to give us those great classes are no longer in school. Doesn't matter how will you recruit, if they never play. Not faulting the coaches for that, just stating a fact.

I do not think any staff in America could have done better with the talent we had Sat. night. We actually could have won the game, though there was still better talent on the other side. Switch the players and AU's staff would have won by more than 7 in my opinion.

Our defensive talent is better than Clemson's. If we switched the talent, we lose by more than 14.

We gave up 231 yards rushing to ONE player on their team. If their talent level on defense is less than ours, then our running game must really be bad.

We have good defensive coaches, I can't chalk up 231 yards rushing against us to poor coaching only.

The real problem is we don't have a good qb yet that can comand the offense. if we did we would have won last night.'

We really need to start chasing top tier qb's hard. right now all we have is one in frazier so we are playing the best we got. other top ten teams have two or three they are working with and one emerges as the real deal. we need do go after a pro style quarterback if that is what offense we are going to run. what good is it to have a dual threat qb if you won't let him run. I also think the coaches didn't use fraziers talent by letting him run some last night they took away his dual threat capability. if we don't want a running qb lets get one that can throw the ball with some accuracy. auburn seams to struggle in recruiting top tier qb or developing them. we have had alot of crappie qb over the last couple years. why can't we recruit good qb's. we seam to always get passed over by the top qb's in most classes why?

We need to change that if we are going to win a championship. you have to have a great qb.

This staff has always had a goal of targeting one quality QB with each class and I would say with the exception of Pike they have done that. I think he had the talent just not the mindset. However we don't know about Wallace just yet.

With this being the first year in Loeffler's offence I think Johnson is a pretty good pickup. While he is big and athletic, 6' 6" and 215, he is a pocket passer. If you watch Johnson's film you will see that he is a gamer.

As for Frazier you do have to remember the system that he was brought in under. He was not brought in under a pro style offence. However during his senior year of high school he had almost 3,000 yards of passing. You don't throw for almost 3,000 yards without having some natural ability. Also this was his first start and I would say first time really playing at QB since 2010. Sure he threw 12 passes last year but Uzomah threw three passes and we are not calling him a QB.

if you look at your list none of them were developed or panned out. cam newton was already developed and was a jr college transfer. frazier is the best on the list that is still there. trotter was a four star to i think.. why is it that the top teams in the nation have a great qb year in and year out. we seam to get passed over by the top qb's in each class and then want to act like a three star qb who might get a fourth star is the best in the nation. why can't we get a guy that is ready to come in and play.

I believe Mr. Johnson will prove you wrong. He has progressed dramatically the last two years. He wasn't even a QB to start with. He threw for like 600 yards or something against a traditional powerhouse in Prattville. If he had started out playing QB all his life like some he might be #1 right now. Wait and see where he is at the end of the season. I'll take him over Hackenburg (current consensus #1) any day. CSL will bring the QBs. We gotta tackle and apparently some of our guys have never been taught and CBVG is now doing the best with what he's got. Let him bring in 1 or 2 of HIS classes and things will be different.

I just dont understand weve recruited just as good talent or better than bama but there just keep reloading.. Is it better coaching?

Last week I would have said no way but I'm getting impatient.

Agree. Auburn has done a very poor job in developing their "talented" players over the past 3 years..... Not only ffrom a physical football standpoint but also from a mental football standpoint. I do not see the mental sharpness of Auburn's players versus Bama's. We make way too many mental errors in that we are constantly out of position to make a play. Perfect example if Reed being out of bounds on what should have been a sure easy TD. Hell, he's in his 3rd year of college ball. KNOW where the out of bound lines are!!!!!! Ryan Smith constantly missing tackles....coming up with air each time. Tacklers taking the wrong angles to make a play. The list goes on and on and i just don't see much down the road in terms of being able to improve. :angry:

I agree. It is still early, but this is year #4. We all know that saban took over a better situation than Chizik, but again this is year #4. Archer, Halman and Denardo all had access to the same type talent level at LSU that saban and Miles had at LSU, but look at the results of these coaches had ! Again, it is year #4 and our program needs to step up or get lost in the S.E.C. crowd.

War Eagle !

You guys are likely expecting too much as young as this team is Hold off another year before making such rash judgments.

This is a list of the class years of the players in this past weeks games.

AU UA

FR - 4 7

RFR - 5 5

So - 16 15

Jr - 14 16

Sr - 11 9

Agree. Auburn has done a very poor job in developing their "talented" players over the past 3 years..... Not only ffrom a physical football standpoint but also from a mental football standpoint. I do not see the mental sharpness of Auburn's players versus Bama's. We make way too many mental errors in that we are constantly out of position to make a play. Perfect example if Reed being out of bounds on what should have been a sure easy TD. Hell, he's in his 3rd year of college ball. KNOW where the out of bound lines are!!!!!! Ryan Smith constantly missing tackles....coming up with air each time. Tacklers taking the wrong angles to make a play. The list goes on and on and i just don't see much down the road in terms of being able to improve. :angry:

I agree. It is still early, but this is year #4. We all know that saban took over a better situation than Chizik, but again this is year #4. Archer, Halman and Denardo all had access to the same type talent level at LSU that saban and Miles had at LSU, but look at the results of these coaches had ! Again, it is year #4 and our program needs to step up or get lost in the S.E.C. crowd.

War Eagle !

You guys are likely expecting too much as young as this team is Hold off another year before making such rash judgments.

AU UA

FR - 4 7

RFR - 5 5

So - 16 15

Jr - 14 16

Sr - 11 9

but only about 4 of those seniors contribute

Man, I could have sworn they were kids....and young men. They have two new different coordinators on both sides of the ball. Sure, there are areas where they can improve, and I am sure they will. But dang, let them be YOUNG MEN. It's going to be a learning process for all involved. We are fans, it's simple as that. Keihl looked good in certain areas, O'Mac ran for 82, Mason ran for 107; the defense had four sacks, an interception. Yea there was some big plays, but Clemsons RB had some good plays as well keeping his balance. Over all, OUR TEAM did not perform that bad. Every team can improve. Just remember that has the season goes along this year.

War Eagle !

AU UA

FR - 4 7

RFR - 5 5

So - 16 15

Jr - 14 16

Sr - 11 9

but only about 4 of those seniors contribute

Bingo. Plus our team is still very young . We had over 30 players gone after the Championship season. That is an unusually insane high number of turnover and takes time to rebuild from that.

I don't see how this is all on the Howard thread, but we might as well hash some of this out:

1. QB talent hasn't been the problem...Kiehl played mediocre, but clearly has room to improve.

2. Tackling and defensive fundamentals continue to plague us...mostly through poor linebacker play, and through ineffective DT play. I think the secondary didn't play badly, and the DE's had a very solid game.

3. We have lost numerous talented players, but all schools have attrition issues.

4. We don't yet have a clear cut #2 WR.

5. Most of the mistakes we made against Clemson are correctable.

Will we go 7-5? Maybe...I think our offense is going to have to mix the power sets with some sets where we spread some receivers out to avoid predictability. Every pass doesn't need to be a play action pass with a deep drop, unless we just like getting sacked.

We have plenty of talent on our roster. From a development standpoint, I am concerned about out receivers, LB'S and DT's, but I think we'll know much more after Starkville. Sure, we could be a 7-5 team...but we could be a 9-3 team as well.

if look back over the years we have had alot of mediocre qb's

it generally goes like this mediocre qb 3 years , great qb 2 years, mediocre qb 3 years , great qb 1 year, mediocre qb 2 years

if we hadn't have gotten cam that year we would have had a mediocre qb for a couple years now.

frazier got the talent i am just saying he should have been developed then get to play but we have no depth at qb

Your first issue was that we were not going after and not getting quality QB's. Well we clearly have been going after and getting quality QB's. As I stated this was Kiehl's first game playing QB since he was a senior in high school. I'm not going to base Kiehl's QB development on one game. He has had one preseason to work with his new QB coach, who actually develops QB's unlike the last one. Loeffler has a proven track record when it comes to working with QB's. I mean

[Tom] Brady is close enough with Loeffler that he placed a phone call to congratulate the new Auburn coordinator after the Patriots' AFC championship win.

If Pike was still here I would like to see where you get the development issues on him from... Sure some guys don't pan out, DeAngelo Benton is a great example. I'm not sure where you get to notion to blame that on the current staff though. CGM was never really a QB developer. He is great a calling plays but QB development was not his strong suit. Also going back to CTT days Kodi Burns was highly regarded coming out of high school however his development was thrown off by the QB coaching. Based on the past coaches I can see why a high quality QB would look else where. Like I said Loeffler has the track record of producing great QBs so the book is still out on him.

Barrett Trotter was a low ranked 3 star as was Clint Moseley. I don't think anyone was saying they were the best in the nation. There are very few QBs coming out of high school that are good enough to start day one unless the QBs already there just don't cut it.

you just named 3 qb's we went after and got that never panned out. what i am getting at is we need two or three good qb's so you are not putting a guy in before he is ready. i am not judging frazier of one performance but anyone can see he was really ready. even the coachs said there was really no seperation from mosley. we will really know what we got next year.

War Eagle !

AU UA

FR - 4 7

RFR - 5 5

So - 16 15

Jr - 14 16

Sr - 11 9

Over simplistic view and you know it! Bama has not changed systems, yes coordinators but not schemes. Our youth is now having to digest completely, let me say that again COMPLETELY, different types of systems than what they were taught over the past few years. Whatever grasp of the game they had, has been reduced to understanding the size and sped of the game. CBVG & CSL have to start from scratch reaching technique to fit their schemes.

One team doesn't compare to another.

AU is young, but that's not a good reason for our performance vs Clemson. It wasn't "Auburn" quality regardless of youth.

If they progress through the year and get better, I'll be happy. If not I'll be questioning the "skill level" of our coaches.

There is plenty of season left and as long as we move forward from game to game we will be fine.

you just named 3 qb's we went after and got that never panned out. what i am getting at is we need two or three good qb's so you are not putting a guy in before he is ready. i am not judging frazier of one performance but anyone can see he was really ready. even the coachs said there was really no seperation from mosley. we will really know what we got next year.

Not to sound like a jerk but from the first two sentences of your original post you are judging him by one game.

The real problem is we don't have a good qb yet that can comand the offense. if we did we would have won last night.

I fully agree that we need to have a couple good QBs on the roster however trying to predict the future is impossible. That is why some guys that are highly regarded coming out of high school do poorly and some that are not so well regarded go on to do great things in college, This guy was a three star coming out of high school but he won the Heisman...

As to getting those good QBs to AU that takes a couple years of producing top quality QBs and as I mentioned in my previous post we have not had that great of a track record with QBs as of late. Sure we have two that are in the NFL right now as you mentioned Cam was going to be good no matter where he went and Jason is now a backup (not to mention he was almost 10 years ago). I fully believe that Loeffler will produce one hell of a QB when he is done with Kiehl. Kiehl has all of the tools that are needed to be a great QB and match that up with great coaching means great things are coming. The depth that you are talking about takes time to build.

OJ Howard.......................................

I heard he's a pretty good tight end. We recruiting him? I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts.

Crazy! I could have sworn this was a thread on him.

I heard he's a pretty good tight end. We recruiting him? I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts.

You've restored hope!

You've restored hope!

Might as well be Luke Skwalker up in here.

You've restored hope!

Is it true that he's 6'5 250 and runs a 4.3 40?

You've restored hope!

Is it true that he's 6'5 250 and runs a 4.3 40?

Everything you've heard is true. I've also heard that he is really great at playing chess.Which means he's an AU lock. Saban doesn't like players who are more intelligent than he is.

One team doesn't compare to another.

AU is young, but that's not a good reason for our performance vs Clemson. It wasn't "Auburn" quality regardless of youth.

If they progress through the year and get better, I'll be happy. If not I'll be questioning the "skill level" of our coaches.

There is plenty of season left and as long as we move forward from game to game we will be fine.

Exactly how I feel

• 3 weeks later...

seems as if this were an AU commit, it would be a huge story.

Slight knee sprain. He is wearing a knee sleeve right now. Rumor is Saban asked the coach not to play him until he is completely healthy.

odd, the article on AL.com keeps saying "undisclosed reasons".

Slight knee sprain. He is wearing a knee sleeve right now. Rumor is Saban asked the coach not to play him until he is completely healthy.

odd, the article on AL.com keeps saying "undisclosed reasons".

Yeah. not sure why the coach is taking that approach but I got the sprain part from a good friend who's daughter goes to school with OJ.

Archived