2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

Oj declined an offer from us to visit in the dome..

If that's true, in light of his declining to go to Dallas as well, then I'd say that doesn't look good for us. But I don't know any more than all of you.

Actually it tells me it likely means nothing.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's true, in light of his declining to go to Dallas as well, then I'd say that doesn't look good for us. But I don't know any more than all of you.

I dont mean to sound like Im drinking kool aide but if OJ was actually considering visiting Auburn would he be going to the game under the Saban Radar? The whole you shop we shop thing?

I dont mean to sound like Im drinking kool aide but if OJ was actually considering visiting Auburn would he be going to the game under the Saban Radar? The whole you shop we shop thing?

If he did NOBODY would know he was coming.

If he did NOBODY would know he was coming.

Thats what I thought...

I think you can write OJ off. I don't see how play on the field will change his mind. Especially since it will be compared to Bama and they are killing it so far.

Guest Tigereagle03

I just dont understand weve recruited just as good talent or better than bama but there just keep reloading.. Is it better coaching?

I just dont understand weve recruited just as good talent or better than bama but there just keep reloading.. Is it better coaching?

Last week I would have said no way but I'm getting impatient.

Agree. Auburn has done a very poor job in developing their "talented" players over the past 3 years..... Not only ffrom a physical football standpoint but also from a mental football standpoint. I do not see the mental sharpness of Auburn's players versus Bama's. We make way too many mental errors in that we are constantly out of position to make a play. Perfect example if Reed being out of bounds on what should have been a sure easy TD. Hell, he's in his 3rd year of college ball. KNOW where the out of bound lines are!!!!!! Ryan Smith constantly missing tackles....coming up with air each time. Tacklers taking the wrong angles to make a play. The list goes on and on and i just don't see much down the road in terms of being able to improve. :angry:

Agree. Auburn has done a very poor job in developing their "talented" players over the past 3 years..... Not only ffrom a physical football standpoint but also from a mental football standpoint. I do not see the mental sharpness of Auburn's players versus Bama's. We make way too many mental errors in that we are constantly out of position to make a play. Perfect example if Reed being out of bounds on what should have been a sure easy TD. Hell, he's in his 3rd year of college ball. KNOW where the out of bound lines are!!!!!! Ryan Smith constantly missing tackles....coming up with air each time. Tacklers taking the wrong angles to make a play. The list goes on and on and i just don't see much down the road in terms of being able to improve. :angry:

I agree. It is still early, but this is year #4. We all know that saban took over a better situation than Chizik, but again this is year #4. Archer, Halman and Denardo all had access to the same type talent level at LSU that saban and Miles had at LSU, but look at the results of these coaches had ! Again, it is year #4 and our program needs to step up or get lost in the S.E.C. crowd.

War Eagle !

I agree. It is still early, but this is year #4. We all know that saban took over a better situation than Chizik, but again this is year #4. Archer, Halman and Denardo all had access to the same type talent level at LSU that saban and Miles had at LSU, but look at the results of these coaches had ! Again, it is year #4 and our program needs to step up or get lost in the S.E.C. crowd.

War Eagle !

You guys are likely expecting too much as young as this team is Hold off another year before making such rash judgments.

The real problem is we don't have a good qb yet that can comand the offense. if we did we would have won last night.'

We really need to start chasing top tier qb's hard. right now all we have is one in frazier so we are playing the best we got. other top ten teams have two or three they are working with and one emerges as the real deal. we need do go after a pro style quarterback if that is what offense we are going to run. what good is it to have a dual threat qb if you won't let him run. I also think the coaches didn't use fraziers talent by letting him run some last night they took away his dual threat capability. if we don't want a running qb lets get one that can throw the ball with some accuracy. auburn seams to struggle in recruiting top tier qb or developing them. we have had alot of crappie qb over the last couple years. why can't we recruit good qb's. we seam to always get passed over by the top qb's in most classes why?

We need to change that if we are going to win a championship. you have to have a great qb.

BVG hasn't been working with the defense a full year yet. So it is not the same as bama having the same coaches teaching one way for the entire time. Offensively we have been okay overall and good at times despite our QB play and young OLine. If we could have one more descent WR step up with Blake we would be alot better.

The real problem is we don't have a good qb yet that can comand the offense. if we did we would have won last night.'

We really need to start chasing top tier qb's hard. right now all we have is one in frazier so we are playing the best we got. other top ten teams have two or three they are working with and one emerges as the real deal. we need do go after a pro style quarterback if that is what offense we are going to run. what good is it to have a dual threat qb if you won't let him run. I also think the coaches didn't use fraziers talent by letting him run some last night they took away his dual threat capability. if we don't want a running qb lets get one that can throw the ball with some accuracy. auburn seams to struggle in recruiting top tier qb or developing them. we have had alot of crappie qb over the last couple years. why can't we recruit good qb's. we seam to always get passed over by the top qb's in most classes why?

We need to change that if we are going to win a championship. you have to have a great qb.

This staff has gone after high quality QBs

2009 - Tyrik Rollison, four star 6.0 by Rivals and #2 dual threat QB

2010 - Cameron Newton, 5 star 6.1 by Rivals and we know how that turned out

2011 - Kiehl Frazier, four star 5.9 by Rivals and #5 dual threat QB

2012 - Zeke Pike, well we know how that went

2013 - Jeremy Johnson, four star 5.8 by Rivals and #10 pro QB for now

This staff has always had a goal of targeting one quality QB with each class and I would say with the exception of Pike they have done that. I think he had the talent just not the mindset. However we don't know about Wallace just yet.

With this being the first year in Loeffler's offence I think Johnson is a pretty good pickup. While he is big and athletic, 6' 6" and 215, he is a pocket passer. If you watch Johnson's film you will see that he is a gamer.

As for Frazier you do have to remember the system that he was brought in under. He was not brought in under a pro style offence. However during his senior year of high school he had almost 3,000 yards of passing. You don't throw for almost 3,000 yards without having some natural ability. Also this was his first start and I would say first time really playing at QB since 2010. Sure he threw 12 passes last year but Uzomah threw three passes and we are not calling him a QB.

This staff has gone after high quality QBs

2009 - Tyrik Rollison, four star 6.0 by Rivals and #2 dual threat QB

2010 - Cameron Newton, 5 star 6.1 by Rivals and we know how that turned out

2011 - Kiehl Frazier, four star 5.9 by Rivals and #5 dual threat QB

2012 - Zeke Pike, well we know how that went

2013 - Jeremy Johnson, four star 5.8 by Rivals and #10 pro QB for now

This staff has always had a goal of targeting one quality QB with each class and I would say with the exception of Pike they have done that. I think he had the talent just not the mindset. However we don't know about Wallace just yet.

With this being the first year in Loeffler's offence I think Johnson is a pretty good pickup. While he is big and athletic, 6' 6" and 215, he is a pocket passer. If you watch Johnson's film you will see that he is a gamer.

As for Frazier you do have to remember the system that he was brought in under. He was not brought in under a pro style offence. However during his senior year of high school he had almost 3,000 yards of passing. You don't throw for almost 3,000 yards without having some natural ability. Also this was his first start and I would say first time really playing at QB since 2010. Sure he threw 12 passes last year but Uzomah threw three passes and we are not calling him a QB.

if you look at your list none of them were developed or panned out. cam newton was already developed and was a jr college transfer. frazier is the best on the list that is still there. trotter was a four star to i think.. why is it that the top teams in the nation have a great qb year in and year out. we seam to get passed over by the top qb's in each class and then want to act like a three star qb who might get a fourth star is the best in the nation. why can't we get a guy that is ready to come in and play.

The only reason we lost to clemson was that they had better players. We have talented coaches with solid track records, they did not forget how to coach over night.

While we may have matched UAT's recruiting on paper, a lot the marquee names we signed to give us those great classes are no longer in school. Doesn't matter how will you recruit, if they never play. Not faulting the coaches for that, just stating a fact.

I do not think any staff in America could have done better with the talent we had Sat. night. We actually could have won the game, though there was still better talent on the other side. Switch the players and AU's staff would have won by more than 7 in my opinion.

The only reason we lost to clemson was that they had better players. We have talented coaches with solid track records, they did not forget how to coach over night.

While we may have matched UAT's recruiting on paper, a lot the marquee names we signed to give us those great classes are no longer in school. Doesn't matter how will you recruit, if they never play. Not faulting the coaches for that, just stating a fact.

I do not think any staff in America could have done better with the talent we had Sat. night. We actually could have won the game, though there was still better talent on the other side. Switch the players and AU's staff would have won by more than 7 in my opinion.

Our defensive talent is better than Clemson's. If we switched the talent, we lose by more than 14.

I still think our retention rate for recruiting classes is worse than the overall rate for the league. I believe this has slowed the progress on the field and the depth at certain positions. Bad luck? I don't know but hopefully this stat improves with the current group of commits.

I still think our retention rate for recruiting classes is worse than the overall rate for the league. I believe this has slowed the progress on the field and the depth at certain positions. Bad luck? I don't know but hopefully this stat improves with the current group of commits.

We have also had som freakish things happen too like Coleman getting Cancer. He was originally expected to bea cornerstone tackle for us by now. The shootings have also destroyed Mack mentally for another example.

I don't see how this is all on the Howard thread, but we might as well hash some of this out:

1. QB talent hasn't been the problem...Kiehl played mediocre, but clearly has room to improve.

2. Tackling and defensive fundamentals continue to plague us...mostly through poor linebacker play, and through ineffective DT play. I think the secondary didn't play badly, and the DE's had a very solid game.

3. We have lost numerous talented players, but all schools have attrition issues.

4. We don't yet have a clear cut #2 WR.

5. Most of the mistakes we made against Clemson are correctable.

Will we go 7-5? Maybe...I think our offense is going to have to mix the power sets with some sets where we spread some receivers out to avoid predictability. Every pass doesn't need to be a play action pass with a deep drop, unless we just like getting sacked.

We have plenty of talent on our roster. From a development standpoint, I am concerned about out receivers, LB'S and DT's, but I think we'll know much more after Starkville. Sure, we could be a 7-5 team...but we could be a 9-3 team as well.

Our retention rate is no worse than our cross-state rival who is always ~10 scholarships over the limit after signing day and has to start cutting players. They're always running off players or putting them on "medical scholarship".

It's no worse than uga or tenn or florida who've lost plenty of players. lsu lost their heisman finalist. clemson lost bellamy. In fact, you'd have a harder time finding a team that hasn't lost players.

Archived