Running Back Dominos

aupops2

No disrespect to they guys currently in the backfield, but none of them, save Omac, has shown that can do anything yet. Tons of promise, but we wont know for a while. I think young backs that are hoping to play on sundays, would benefit from splitting duties. Just look at poor Lattimore, one of the best backs in a decade and he's gonna be trashed by the time he makes it to the NFL

Green, Bryant...just say'n

Did you watch Mason last year? He does not have to prove much to me.

I agree with you. Mason showed he cold play last year and he had a nice bowl game.

I didn't know Mason was a fan of Coldplay.

:P

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No disrespect to they guys currently in the backfield, but none of them, save Omac, has shown that can do anything yet. Tons of promise, but we wont know for a while. I think young backs that are hoping to play on sundays, would benefit from splitting duties. Just look at poor Lattimore, one of the best backs in a decade and he's gonna be trashed by the time he makes it to the NFL

Did you watch Mason last year? He does not have to prove much to me.

I agree with you. Mason showed he cold play last year and he had a nice bowl game.

I didn't know Mason was a fan of Coldplay.

:P

Well, Now you know. LOL.

Mason has shown what he can do on gameday, and both Blakely and Grant have shown the coaches their stuff, too. We already have Jordan Wilkins on board, and he's no slouch in his own right. Jovon Robinson is almost certainly going to be on campus come January as well. If we took both Green and Bryant, that puts us at four freshmen running backs and seven total. If we take three backs in this class, I will be GREATLY shocked.

Mason has shown what he can do on gameday, and both Blakely and Grant have shown the coaches their stuff, too. We already have Jordan Wilkins on board, and he's no slouch in his own right. Jovon Robinson is almost certainly going to be on campus come January as well. If we took both Green and Bryant, that puts us at four freshmen running backs and seven total. If we take three backs in this class, I will be GREATLY shocked.

Hadn't heard that. Outstanding if true.

Jovon has to get his transcripts taken care of before he can get into any school. I'm nit looking for him in January

This is what I hear, too. We will be fortunate if Robinson is able to return next summer.

If Robinson is able to return, would he be a freshman on the field and therefore count against our class this year?

He will be a freshman and have 5 to play four but that does not matter in determining which class he counts in. If he comes to Auburn after the winter semester then he will not count on the 2012 IC list. He would count on the 2013 IC list.

Yeah, well, apparently I spoke too soon. It seems he might have to take a full year in prep school, and I don't know if that would affect his status with us or not. If he enrolls for the spring, I definitely think he'll be on the Plains, but I just don't know as for the rest.

Yeah, well, apparently I spoke too soon. It seems he might have to take a full year in prep school, and I don't know if that would affect his status with us or not. If he enrolls for the spring, I definitely think he'll be on the Plains, but I just don't know as for the rest.

Jovon Robinson would probably have gotten big playing time this year, had not the unfortunate happened. Now, what looked early like a stacked backfield, begins to look a little shallow. We have O-mac, and we know what he can and can't do, even with a few extra pounds. We have a superbly talented Blakeley, and hopefully his commitment issues are clearing. Then we have Mason, good but not great so far. Finally, Corey Grant has an injury more serious than anyone thought. Fact of the matter, we have lost control of Jovon in that he has to do work to qualify, it will be next fall at the earliest for his return to the team, and, in essence, his recruitment opens back up. Early last week, it appeared we had a shot at both Bryant and Green, but there are now too many quality programs looking at both to even allow for that to happen. But now, there may be room for a smaller, faster scat-back type like Folston. The dominos continue to stand, and new ones may be coming.

• 5 weeks later...

Just for fun, and not to be mathematically correct, I thought I'd renew this thread as sorta a "state of the running back" state. In the Spring, we thought we were loaded at the position; Omac, Mason, Grant, Blakeley, and Robinson coming in. Now, it doesn't look so loaded. Do you guys realize we didn't retain a RB in the 2012 class, unless you put Grant and Blakeley in there? We have waxed ad nauseum about how much the Yeldon flip hurt, anf the fact that Robinson didn't make it makes it even worse. I know most of you don't like to compare our situation with the dark side, but this is my thread, so here goes. Last year they signed Yeldon, with Lacy and Hart already on board. This year, they already have Jones and Tenpenny, both top ten backs, and have just added Derrick Henry. Now I know most think he'll wind up at LB, but right now, as he said in his announcement, he wants to be a RB. Now comes 2013, Bo Scarborough is already committed, Rock Thomas will soon, and a third kid named Jalen Hurd out of my backyard, Hendersonville, Tn., is ready to commit to them. At least two of those kids will be 5*s early on, and the third a high 4 *. Now, on our side, we already have Wilkins committed, with a decent chance at getting Derrick Green. I'm all good with that. I'm not good with 2014; we just can't let them continue to out recruit us at RB. Then, you look at Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley at uga, and realize, the Yeldon thing really, really hurt us because we had a shot at both of them. Ahh, those dominos; where will they fall next??

Just for fun, and not to be mathematically correct, I thought I'd renew this thread as sorta a "state of the running back" state. In the Spring, we thought we were loaded at the position; Omac, Mason, Grant, Blakeley, and Robinson coming in. Now, it doesn't look so loaded. Do you guys realize we didn't retain a RB in the 2012 class, unless you put Grant and Blakeley in there? We have waxed ad nauseum about how much the Yeldon flip hurt, anf the fact that Robinson didn't make it makes it even worse. I know most of you don't like to compare our situation with the dark side, but this is my thread, so here goes. Last year they signed Yeldon, with Lacy and Hart already on board. This year, they already have Jones and Tenpenny, both top ten backs, and have just added Derrick Henry. Now I know most think he'll wind up at LB, but right now, as he said in his announcement, he wants to be a RB. Now comes 2013, Bo Scarborough is already committed, Rock Thomas will soon, and a third kid named Jalen Hurd out of my backyard, Hendersonville, Tn., is ready to commit to them. At least two of those kids will be 5*s early on, and the third a high 4 *. Now, on our side, we already have Wilkins committed, with a decent chance at getting Derrick Green. I'm all good with that. I'm not good with 2014; we just can't let them continue to out recruit us at RB. Then, you look at Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley at uga, and realize, the Yeldon thing really, really hurt us because we had a shot at both of them. Ahh, those dominos; where will they fall next??

I doubr both Tempenny and Jones both stick with Bama but Saban's not dumb. He realizes that to win you must run the Ball and play strong D. On the RB side of that he hoards all the RBs he can and if h does not need some he let's some transfer likely to D3 schools so he does not havr to face them. Minus the moral part of it it's a pretty smart move.

I just don't see how UAT can sign 3 rb in 2013 and come right back around and sign 3 more in 2014. I just don't think that's going to happen. I think we end up with Rock Thomas next year based on what they have in 2013 and Bo in 2014.

Actually, I believe we stand a better chance with Bo than we do with Rock. But watch out for this Hurd kid; he may be better than both of them. Plus, of course, there are many, many more great backs out there in 2014, but I find it interesting that he can lock up so many this early. Remember, he's had Jones and Tenpenny committed for a long time now. I agree with ellitor, though, in that, come NSD, one of those kids might be somewhere else. One more thing, though; don't you guys think that, because of the TJY issue, that all gloves are off? I remember some here being upset that Reuben's flip speech was a copy of Yeldon's. Hell, I'll rub their nose in it every chance I get!! I despise everything about those arrogant clowns!!

I'm with you Pops! If we get ten more to flip, I hope every one uses the same speech. Having Foster repeat Yeldon's statement was a way to say "In your face we ain't backing down".

I really thought Tenpenny would ultimately end up at Arky, but their current state of affairs pretty much kills that thought. Hoping that Rueben's relationship with Bo helps in the long run.

I really thought Tenpenny would ultimately end up at Arky, but their current state of affairs pretty much kills that thought. Hoping that Rueben's relationship with Bo helps in the long run.

Depends on who they hire as the new coach in January or December.

Anybody watching the Todd Gurley/Keith Marshall show against Tennessee?

UGA has two outstanding RB's. I mean outstanding!

I watched the game and that is what is called establishing the power running game.

Funny, just last season the AJC blogs were full of DullDawgs doing the same whining, wimpering and simpering about their OC Bobo that we see about Loeffler today. Now, with a more seasoned QB and o-line and a spark from good RB recruiting, the former fool is running the hottest offense in college football.

That's just one glaring example of why it's way too soon to think bad thoughts about our new OC.

Funny, just last season the AJC blogs were full of DullDawgs doing the same whining, wimpering and simpering about their OC Bobo that we see about Loeffler today. Now, with a more seasoned QB and o-line and a spark from good RB recruiting, the former fool is running the hottest offense in college football.

That's just one glaring example of why it's way too soon to think bad thoughts about our new OC.

They're also too ignorant to see that Richt is orchestrating the offense. Consistently good QB play between the hedges for a reason...

Archived