Running Back Dominos

aupops2

When will y'all learn that high school 40 times aren't real?

I can bench 40

Your 40 ounce beer cans do not count.  ;D

I think he's referring to forty 12 oz cans...one at a time. :laugh:

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not like the silence surrounding Bryant and Green since yesterday's rumors. 

I do not like the silence surrounding Bryant and Green since yesterday's rumors. 

Look at the bright side. Maybe both of them may want to commit at the same time.

What are the chances that these two have talked (do talk) about their intentions?  Just wondering if two top RBs might strike up a friendship and share stuff like this.  Obviously we see players in other positions talk to each other, even recruit for a school, but didn't know if that might happen in the same position.

Here is the list of the best times since 2000 for those discussing this topic in the thread.

Fastest 40 times, 2000-2011 Combines

combine record is 4.12, Bo Jackson (RB), Auburn, 1986

4.21 - Trindon Holliday, (WR), LSU - 2010

4.22 - Jacoby Ford, (WR), Clemson - 2010

4.24 - Chris Johnson, (RB), East Carolina - 2008

4.25 - *Darrius Heyward-Bey, (WR), Maryland - 2009

4.25 - DeMarcus Van Dyke, (CB), Miami - 2011

4.26 - Jerome Mathis, (WR), Hampton - 2005

4.27 - C.J. Spiller, (RB), Clemson - 2010

4.27 - Stanford Routt, (CB), Houston - 2005

4.28 - Mike Wallace, (WR), Mississippi - 2009

4.29 - *Fabian Washington, (CB), Nebraska - 2005

4.29 - Johnny Knox, (WR), Abilene Christian - 2009

4.29 - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, (CB), Tennessee State - 2008

4.30 - Mike Thomas, (WR), Arizona - 2009

4.30 - Darrent Williams, (CB), Oklahoma State - 2005

4.30 - Yamon Figurs, (WR), Kansas State - 2007

4.31 - Tyvon Branch, (CB), Connecticut - 2008

4.31 - Edmond Gates, (WR), Abilene Christian - 2011

4.31 - Michael Waddell, (CB), North Carolina - 2004

4.31 - Santana Moss, (WR), Miami - 2001

4.31 - Deon Butler, (WR), Penn State - 2009

4.31 - *Justin King, (CB), Penn State - 2008

4.31 - *Johnathan Joseph, (CB), South Carolina - 2006

4.31 - *Patrick Peterson, (CB), LSU - 2011

4.31 - Taylor Mays, (FS), Southern Cal - 2010

4.31 - Tiquan Underwood, (WR), Rutgers - 2009

Let me put this speed thing into perspective before anyone gets too carried away with sub 4.30 40s.  Patrick Peterson doesn't even crack the top 20 at the combines in the 40 with a 4.31.  Now take a look at how he fast he closes on a pretty quick guy wearing O & B (McCallebb) in the 4th quarter of the 2010 AU vs LSU game.  I mean, McCallebb was a state HS sprint champ if I remember correctly and we all know he's fast enough to catch squirrels around campus, right?  laugh.gif But it almost looks like OM is in slow motion and if the field was just a little longer, PP would have caught him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaIPsREBj4&feature=related

(You can watch the whole video for fun, but the play I am talking about happens at about 5 min left in the game or around the 4:10 point in the video)

He does look much faster, but I would be willing to bet that McCallebb had covered much more ground than Peterson had. Not sure how much difference it makes but he had ran 70 yards (plus the cross field addition) by the time you see Peterson in the picture....

I don't know much about any of it to be honest though, but the way Peterson was eating him up I figured there had to be a legitimate reason...that just seemed too much of a speed difference for there to be no explanation.

I probably need to take off my O&B glasses....

That looked like Darryl Green hawking down Eric Dickerson.

Okay guys. Take off the O & B glasses and realize this......PP is faster than OMAC......And he will probably always be faster. Okay. I'm done.

Technically, you were done before you started....all you did was restate something I had already said, therefore rendering your post........pointless. :yay::bananadance::happydance::laugh::thumbsup:

This may have been posted already, but I think with the team going after these big backs that it is clear what direction CSL wants to go with his offense.

This may have been posted already, but I think with the team going after these big backs that it is clear what direction CSL wants to go with his offense.

It will be a multiple offense that features strong downhill running.

Look at the bright side. Maybe both of them may want to commit at the same time.

Ironman, your work here is done.  Silence broken.

exactly, but so many were talking about taking a big back and small back just a month ago

exactly, but so many were talking about taking a big back and small back just a month ago

I think if there were an elite "small" back, then we would consider him as well. :dunno:

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench into the discussion:  we've had ongoing discussions about the possible attrition at QB after a starter is named: i.e., Clint transferring, Wallace's potential, ZP's return or not, etc,.  Have you thought about what happens when the starting rotation is named this year at RB?  Probably no defections until the end of the season, but I'll guarantee you at least one, maybe two, will transfer due to lack of playing time.  No, I don't know who, but it WILL happen.

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench into the discussion:  we've had ongoing discussions about the possible attrition at QB after a starter is named: i.e., Clint transferring, Wallace's potential, ZP's return or not, etc,.  Have you thought about what happens when the starting rotation is named this year at RB?  Probably no defections until the end of the season, but I'll guarantee you at least one, maybe two, will transfer due to lack of playing time.  No, I don't know who, but it WILL happen.

If it were to happen, then Blakely and Grant most likely would not be the ones since they transferred in, and have already sat a year. OMac will have graduated, and that leaves JR, and newcomers which will be freshman with MB & CG as seniors.

Personally, I don't think this will happen, but I thought I was going to win the lottery already also!

If it were to happen, then Blakely and Grant most likely would not be the ones since they transferred in, and have already sat a year. OMac will have graduated, and that leaves JR, and newcomers which will be freshman with MB & CG as seniors.

Personally, I don't think this will happen, but I thought I was going to win the lottery already also!

I agree. Our backs are spread out pretty well and we'll need a rotation this year kinda like LSU last year.

People have been asking since Bryant opened things back up, why do we need to take another RB with the limited slots and stable of backs we already have?  Well, think in terms of "best available" because we have pretty much filled "positions of need."  And Greg Bryant is definitely "best available."  This is not only a great athlete, but one heck of a kid.  You hear from all directions, and can see it in his interviews.  Enough with the "head" cases and prima donnas!!  BTW, not a knock on Derrick Green; he's a great kid, too.

Greg Bryant is an absolute stud.no way you turn down a kid this good position of need or not  as we know the coaches planned on 2 backs last year.  He is a great kid also as pops.said. 

I am going to do something different here, using the spring roster & adding Jovon Robinson. Not sure if the official fall roster will match up with this or not.

Years of eligibility left after this season for RB's (eligibility left going into the 2013 season)

0 - Onterio McCalebb

1 - Chandler Shakespeare

1 - Chico Canady

2 - Johnny Lockett

2 - Corey Grant

2 - Tre Mason

2 - Patrick Lymon

3 - Mike Blakely

3 - Jovon Robinson (assuming no redshirt, 4 if he red-shirts this year)

I am going to do something different here, using the spring roster & adding Jovon Robinson. Not sure if the official fall roster will match up with this or not.

Years of eligibility left after this season for RB's (eligibility left going into the 2013 season)

0 - Onterio McCalebb

1 - Chandler Shakespeare

1 - Chico Canady

2 - Johnny Lockett

2 - Corey Grant

2 - Tre Mason

2 - Patrick Lymon

3 - Mike Blakely

I don't believe these are all scholarship players though, are they? (Nevermind...got this confused with another thread)

0 - Onterio McCalebb

1 - Chandler Shakespeare

1 - Chico Canady

2 - Johnny Lockett

2 - Corey Grant

2 - Tre Mason

2 - Patrick Lymon

3 - Mike Blakely

I don't believe these are all scholarship players though, are they?

No, I just listed all RB's from the spring roster.

Yeah this is the "real" list of RBs who will likely play this year

0 - Onterio McCalebb

2 - Corey Grant

2 - Tre Mason

3 - Mike Blakely

Yeah this is the "real" list of RBs who will likely play this year

0 - Onterio McCalebb

2 - Corey Grant

2 - Tre Mason

3 - Mike Blakely

This is a HUGE year for Blakely.  He must produce, or he will be a causality of the influx of depth we're about to get for 2013.  Given he has already been at one point in his Auburn career "in the dog house", he needs to step up in a big way this fall.

He's the only one right now that I have a hard time fitting into our offense without a very solid year in '12.

Here's my question if both Greg Bryant and Derrick Green were on the phone at the same time to commit which phone would Auburn pick up?

Archived