Running Back Dominos

aupops2

Green appears to be a more powerful and quicker runningback. I give it to Bryant because he is very elusive, but I'd rather take a stronger runningback.

We must be watching different Backs. I see Bryant as the much stronger runner while DG is big he uses more elusive moves rather than running people slap over like Bryant does at times.

I don't know.. Green  always falls forward and from what I have seen he is the one to truck people. He does have like 20 pounds on Bryant also. His legs appear to churn faster also.

Don't think he has 20 on GB. I think Scout has it right with GB at 220.

There isn't much that Scout has right..  :laugh:

If that is true though, I won't feel as bad if we end up getting Bryant instead of Green.  ;D

Edit: Scout has Bryant at 205 and Green at 220. Still about 15 pounds. Scout has Bryant's 40 at 4.56 which is not that fast for a runningback honestly.. Green's 40 on ESPN is listed at 4.31.

Thats a recent change. They had Bryant at 220 while everybody else had him at 195.

What really matters to me is how big they are when they're playing at Auburn. Green can add like 10-15 more ponds to him, as well as Bryant. Bryant looks more around the 200lb mark, maybe to 205. I can see him peaking at 220 in college, but I can see Green going in the 230's.

With DG's natural fluid running ability you do not want him at 240. That will likely slow him a bit.

You're probably right. Maybe just a couple more pounds, even though he doesn't really need it.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A football player can trim tenths off of his 40 time in a college strength and conditioning program as his body matures. Football speed with the pads on is a huge difference than running a 40 yard sprint without them.

^^This. Besides, I have questions about where that 4.31 time came from, because often recruiting sites just post what the running back tells them his time was. If Green runs a legitimate 4.31, he's in Bo Jackson territory...and, I'm sorry, but no.

Also, a couple of our speedsters were listed as running 4.5 something in high school on the recruiting sites, but I guarantee they're faster than that.

Part of the reason I like Bryant is precisely his size; in Wilkins, we already have a back in this class that projects to be a big bruiser, and with Jovon Robinson already on the roster, we don't have as much need for another of that type in this class.

A football player can trim tenths off of his 40 time in a college strength and conditioning program as his body matures. Football speed with the pads on is a huge difference than running a 40 yard sprint without them.

^^This. Besides, I have questions about where that 4.31 time came from, because often recruiting sites just post what the running back tells them his time was. If Green runs a legitimate 4.31, he's in Bo Jackson territory...and, I'm sorry, but no.

Also, a couple of our speedsters were listed as running 4.5 something in high school on the recruiting sites, but I guarantee they're faster than that.

Part of the reason I like Bryant is precisely his size; in Wilkins, we already have a back in this class that projects to be a big bruiser, and with Jovon Robinson already on the roster, we don't have as much need for another of that type in this class.

Not exactly on track with current recruits, but didn't Grant run a 4.27 or something like that?

Not exactly on track with current recruits, but didn't Grant run a 4.27 or something like that?

Something like that...I know that Grant, Therezie, and Coates ran sub 4.3's

Edit: Actually, Grant ran a 4.24....here is the link to the thread

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=44945.0

I doubt those times were legit. There have only been a handful of players who have run sub 4.3 40s in the NFL Combine, and I can only think of one running back. Rudi Johnson ran like a 4.6 or 4.7, if I remember right. The 40 yard dash is not the best measure of speed for football because there are very, very few instances in which a player is going to run 40 yards in a straight line, particularly at running back, where having the ability to cut and juke can make or break you. Better measure of speed is the shuttle run.

Now, that isn't to say that our players are fast, and I absolutely believe we have a few who run sub 4.4 40s, and I could legitimately see a couple of them even being in the lower 4.3s, but I don't believe they ran that low of times.

If Grant IS that fast I could see him as an awesome return guy.

That is the hope some of us have.

Heck yeah that's what I was thinking. And he's pretty dang big. Quan Bray and Omac are fast, but they're pretty small. They got rocked last year against LSU.

Here is the list of the best times since 2000 for those discussing this topic in the thread.

Fastest 40 times, 2000-2011 Combines

combine record is 4.12, Bo Jackson (RB), Auburn, 1986

4.21 - Trindon Holliday, (WR), LSU - 2010

4.22 - Jacoby Ford, (WR), Clemson - 2010

4.24 - Chris Johnson, (RB), East Carolina - 2008

4.25 - Darrius Heyward-Bey, (WR), Maryland - 2009

4.25 - DeMarcus Van Dyke, (CB), Miami - 2011

4.26 - Jerome Mathis, (WR), Hampton - 2005

4.27 - C.J. Spiller, (RB), Clemson - 2010

4.27 - Stanford Routt, (CB), Houston - 2005

4.28 - Mike Wallace, (WR), Mississippi - 2009

4.29 - Fabian Washington, (CB), Nebraska - 2005

4.29 - Johnny Knox, (WR), Abilene Christian - 2009

4.29 - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, (CB), Tennessee State - 2008

4.30 - Mike Thomas, (WR), Arizona - 2009

4.30 - Darrent Williams, (CB), Oklahoma State - 2005

4.30 - Yamon Figurs, (WR), Kansas State - 2007

4.31 - Tyvon Branch, (CB), Connecticut - 2008

4.31 - Edmond Gates, (WR), Abilene Christian - 2011

4.31 - Michael Waddell, (CB), North Carolina - 2004

4.31 - Santana Moss, (WR), Miami - 2001

4.31 - Deon Butler, (WR), Penn State - 2009

4.31 - Justin King, (CB), Penn State - 2008

4.31 - Johnathan Joseph, (CB), South Carolina - 2006

4.31 - Patrick Peterson, (CB), LSU - 2011

4.31 - Taylor Mays, (FS), Southern Cal - 2010

4.31 - Tiquan Underwood, (WR), Rutgers - 2009

Heck yeah that's what I was thinking. And he's pretty dang big. Quan Bray and Omac are fast, but they're pretty small. They got rocked last year against LSU.

Don't let size fool you. The greatest kick returner of all time is small....Devin Hester. Height: 5-11  Weight: 190...although he looks more like 5'10 to me.

Here is the list of the best times since 2000 for those discussing this topic in the thread.

4.25 - *Darrius Heyward-Bey, (WR), Maryland - 2009

4.29 - *Fabian Washington, (CB), Nebraska - 2005

4.31 - *Justin King, (CB), Penn State - 2008

4.31 - *Johnathan Joseph, (CB), South Carolina - 2006

4.31 - *Patrick Peterson, (CB), LSU - 2011

Let me put this speed thing into perspective before anyone gets too carried away with sub 4.30 40s.  Patrick Peterson doesn't even crack the top 20 at the combines in the 40 with a 4.31.  Now take a look at how he fast he closes on a pretty quick guy wearing O & B (McCalebb) in the 4th quarter of the 2010 AU vs LSU game.  I mean, McCallebb was a state HS sprint champ if I remember correctly and we all know he's fast enough to catch squirrels around campus, right?  laugh.gif But it almost looks like OM is in slow motion and if the field was just a little longer, PP would have caught him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaIPsREBj4&feature=related

(You can watch the whole video for fun, but the play I am talking about happens at about 5 min left in the game or around the 4:10 point in the video)

Let me put this speed thing into perspective before anyone gets too carried away with sub 4.30 40s.  Patrick Peterson doesn't even crack the top 20 at the combines in the 40 with a 4.31.  Now take a look at how he fast he closes on a pretty quick guy wearing O & B (McCallebb) in the 4th quarter of the 2010 AU vs LSU game.  I mean, McCallebb was a state HS sprint champ if I remember correctly and we all know he's fast enough to catch squirrels around campus, right?  laugh.gif But it almost looks like OM is in slow motion and if the field was just a little longer, PP would have caught him.

(You can watch the whole video for fun, but the play I am talking about happens at about 5 min left in the game or around the 4:10 point in the video)

HOLY CRAP! You're right Herk.

Let me put this speed thing into perspective before anyone gets too carried away with sub 4.30 40s.  Patrick Peterson doesn't even crack the top 20 at the combines in the 40 with a 4.31.  Now take a look at how he fast he closes on a pretty quick guy wearing O & B (McCallebb) in the 4th quarter of the 2010 AU vs LSU game.  I mean, McCallebb was a state HS sprint champ if I remember correctly and we all know he's fast enough to catch squirrels around campus, right?  laugh.gif But it almost looks like OM is in slow motion and if the field was just a little longer, PP would have caught him.

That's wild. One second he isn't even in the frame, the next he's almost caught up to Omac.

Let me put this speed thing into perspective before anyone gets too carried away with sub 4.30 40s. Patrick Peterson doesn't even crack the top 20 at the combines in the 40 with a 4.31. Now take a look at how he fast he closes on a pretty quick guy wearing O & B (McCallebb) in the 4th quarter of the 2010 AU vs LSU game. I mean, McCallebb was a state HS sprint champ if I remember correctly and we all know he's fast enough to catch squirrels around campus, right? laugh.gif But it almost looks like OM is in slow motion and if the field was just a little longer, PP would have caught him.

He does look much faster, but I would be willing to bet that McCallebb had covered much more ground than Peterson had. Not sure how much difference it makes but he had ran 70 yards (plus the cross field addition) by the time you see Peterson in the picture....

I don't know much about any of it to be honest though, but the way Peterson was eating him up I figured there had to be a legitimate reason...that just seemed too much of a speed difference for there to be no explanation.

I probably need to take off my O&B glasses....

I doubt those times were legit. There have only been a handful of players who have run sub 4.3 40s in the NFL Combine, and I can only think of one running back. Rudi Johnson ran like a 4.6 or 4.7, if I remember right. The 40 yard dash is not the best measure of speed for football because there are very, very few instances in which a player is going to run 40 yards in a straight line, particularly at running back, where having the ability to cut and juke can make or break you. Better measure of speed is the shuttle run.

Now, that isn't to say that our players are fast, and I absolutely believe we have a few who run sub 4.4 40s, and I could legitimately see a couple of them even being in the lower 4.3s, but I don't believe they ran that low of times.

sounds like someone that ran a 5.2  ;D

:tease:

When will y'all learn that high school 40 times aren't real?

I can bench 40

Is that hand weighed or electronically? Also, from what site are you getting this? I'm told it varies..

He does look much faster, but I would be willing to bet that McCallebb had covered much more ground than Peterson had. Not sure how much difference it makes but he had ran 70 yards (plus the cross field addition) by the time you see Peterson in the picture....

I don't know much about any of it to be honest though, but the way Peterson was eating him up I figured there had to be a legitimate reason...that just seemed too much of a speed difference for there to be no explanation.

That looked like Darryl Green hawking down Eric Dickerson.

That looked like Darryl Green hawking down Eric Dickerson.

Okay guys. Take off the O & B glasses and realize this......PP is faster than OMAC......And he will probably always be faster. Okay. I'm done.

I know this needs to get back on track but I'll participate in the derailing of this thread for a moment. 40 times are .1-.2 off on most of these recruits. Just about everyone runs a 4.4....not. 

My feeling to OM is that pads seem to slow him down more than some others. I think PP and Omac race on a track and it's a good race. If they race with full pads......

sounds like someone that ran a 5.2  ;D

:tease:

:laugh: Actually, that's not too far off. I ran about a 4.8 in pads (when you weigh 135, which was my playing weight senior year, the pad weight and bulk is a bit more significant), so not particularly fast game speed, but I ran precision routes with sharp cuts, and that allowed me to get open a fair amount. Getting open and having good hands were the biggest reasons I started. Well, that and the fact that we weren't very good...:P

When will y'all learn that high school 40 times aren't real?

I can bench 40

Your 40 ounce beer cans do not count.  ;D

Archived