2013 schedule released

AU64

Interesting schedule for 2013. First dozen games at home and almost no road games until the SEC season starts.

Looks like JP has really softened up the non-SEC schedule...not going to help the RPI much even if we win them all..

.http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/08/auburn_releases_2013_baseball.html

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was kinda disappointed not seeing an Arizona or Arizona St. or somebody like that on there. I guess adding Texas A&M and Mizzou ended those type of series.

Nonetheless, excited for a new season.

Coach P. Hasn't learned a thing! Even if we beat the non-SEC teams on our schedule they hurt our RPI. I am surprised that he didn't drop Samford, with Casey Dunn whipping us routinely. Maybe West Georgia was booked up and Samford was the only team left available.

With a schedule like that the only way we can get into the NCAA tournament is to win the SEC and I believe that to be beyond the capability of this coaching staff.

Instead of "wait until next year" we can already start saying "wait until year after next". Lucky us.

Last year our RPI actually dropped after we won some of those mid-week games late in the season. TAMU and Mizzou certainly add some meat to the schedule ...but as noted, we will have to win a lot of SEC games to have a shot at the tourney this season.

I will miss the games against the Pac12 and Big 10 teams that we've played in recent years.

Clemson, Ga. Tech and FSU, to name just three, are within easy driving distance and beating those people would bump the RPI. The only reason to schedule teams like Al. A&M instead of some big-time program is the fear that we'd lose the games. That's not the Auburn Way and it's certainly not the way to get into post season play.

But best not get me started on the current state of AU baseball. All one has to do is look back at what I've been posting for the past two seasons and he'll know my feelings.

Clemson, Ga. Tech and FSU, to name just three, are within easy driving distance and beating those people would bump the RPI. The only reason to schedule teams like Al. A&M instead of some big-time program is the fear that we'd lose the games. That's not the Auburn Way and it's certainly not the way to get into post season play.

But best not get me started on the current state of AU baseball. All one has to do is look back at what I've been posting for the past two seasons and he'll know my feelings.

This^^^^ + Sometimes, you can help your RPI wil a loss to a top tier team. Now, if you let those games diminish your pitching staff, you could set yourself up to lose conference games as well and that would not be good. I would like to see a mix of solid teams pre conference. WDE anyway!

• 2 months later...

Honestly, it's really not absolutely terrible. While the RPI does drop, we still are expected to win those games. With an impressive record, alothough our RPI may be lower, we are still a desirable team for the NCAA tournament. Don't count so heavily on RPI if we can win all or most of those games. If we don't perform well in them, we don't deserve to be in the tourney anyways.

• 2 months later...

I come in peace, but spouting a strong opinion. I am one who is unhappy with our basketball program, but I can see the difference in our baseball program from the Slater years to the JP years. Yes, we've shot ourselves in the foot the past couple of years. especially down the stretch, but Auburn baseball is not SC. It is not Florida. And for the RPI whiners, news flash, RPI hasn't kept us out of the tournament the past two years, not being able to win the middle of the week games has. If the bullpen pulls its weight this year, I see this as a promising season, so I'm not so sure why so much doom and gloom. War Damn Eagle!

Also, per secsports website, the 47 SEC wins from 2010-2012 were the most for Auburn since 2001-2003. To show that I'm not an eternal ostrich pumping sunshine into the sand, we did finish last in the SEC in fielding percentage, which is definitely something that needs to be reinforced. Now I don't think anyone needs a bar graph to show that AU baseball is trending up, and hopefully will be the best sport out of the "Big 3" on campus this year (won't that be a tall order ;) )

Also, per secsports website, the 47 SEC wins from 2010-2012 were the most for Auburn since 2001-2003. To show that I'm not an eternal ostrich pumping sunshine into the sand, we did finish last in the SEC in fielding percentage, which is definitely something that needs to be reinforced. Now I don't think anyone needs a bar graph to show that AU baseball is trending up, and hopefully will be the best sport out of the "Big 3" on campus this year (won't that be a tall order ;) )

I hope you're right. I've been involved with baseball at one level or another, from player to coach to administrative positions for 30 years. I don't see that we're headed up but I'll still be in the stands and hoping for the best.

I think what is worst about this schedule is that for Auburn's own tournament in February we were only able to get Indiana State, College of Charleston, and Middle Tennessee State...

• 2 weeks later...

I think what is worst about this schedule is that for Auburn's own tournament in February we were only able to get Indiana State, College of Charleston, and Middle Tennessee State...

I think we could have easily got better teams, just as we could have easily scheduled Ga. Tech, FSU or Clemson to a series. It appears the decision has been made to pad the won/loss record by avoiding better competition in the non-conference part of the schedule. If you dance to that tune, you pay the fiddler when your RPI is in the bottom 15 or 20.

Also, per secsports website, the 47 SEC wins from 2010-2012 were the most for Auburn since 2001-2003.

Yes they were. However, the period between there, from '04 through '09, spans the time of fired coaches. That comparison is hardly a sign that the program is headed in a good direction.

I'll take a wait and see on Coach P. this year, but I'm certainly not optimistic about his ability to accomplish much.

Also, per secsports website, the 47 SEC wins from 2010-2012 were the most for Auburn since 2001-2003.

Yes they were. However, the period between there, from '04 through '09, spans the time of fired coaches. That comparison is hardly a sign that the program is headed in a good direction.

I'll take a wait and see on Coach P. this year, but I'm certainly not optimistic about his ability to accomplish much.

Who became AD in 2004? That's right...............

Archived