ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

Yeah, and like I said BOT, ain't we proud to be the first to do this. Wonder why other schools haven't done this? Could it be they had patience and loyalty? Or could it be their supporters didn't become a mob out to have someone fired because they realized it was a dumba$$ decision. Huhhmmmm....

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't everyone accept that this is uncharted waters? No one has ever fired a coach this soon after a title. At the same time, no one has ever seen such complete failure this soon after a title. Maybe you think he deserves to stay. That's a defensible position, but it's ridiculous to compare this situation to any other because this has never been seen before.

Exactly. Other NC winning coaches have at least maintained winning records in the years directly following the championship. Chizik did it for one year - 2011 - and let a year where Auburn should have been improved over the previous year's results go completely into the toilet for a 3-9 and possibly a 2-10 finish. If ANY of those other schools had gone through the same thing, I guarantee you that those coaches would be on the first train out of town.

Wonder why other schools haven't done this?

This one's easy. Since the BCS era began nearly 20 years ago, no team that has won the BCS has collapsed in the manner that AU has even 4 years after winning the title, much less 2 years. Success (2010 BCS) is rewarded (pay raise and big contract buyout), and failure (2012) is punished (unemployment). Welcome to the world of big-time college football. We didn't make the rules, but we've got to play by them to continue to be a top 6 program in the SEC.

If Fisher is hired its not a given Stoops will follow he is a hot assistant that can get a HC gig somewhere after the season but more than likely most of his assistants will come with him. Maybe Eddie Goldman and Jameis Winston will transfer to AU if Fisher is hired.

Their D Line Coach Hudson, who is awesome, would likely come in as DC.

Unless, Hudson becomes the new FSU head coach and we keep BVG.

E. Lion,

What do you think are the chances (assuming Stoops goes another direction) that BVG stays as DC and Hudson stays as Line coach?

Name a team that won 3 games and lost every conference game only two years after winning a national title.

Why can't everyone accept that this is uncharted waters? No one has ever fired a coach this soon after a title. At the same time, no one has ever seen such complete failure this soon after a title. Maybe you think he deserves to stay. That's a defensible position, but it's ridiculous to compare this situation to any other because this has never been seen before.

Amen, this^^^^^

Still some that need to wake-up!

If JJ stays as AD, then Jimbo is the best we could hope for as a HC hire. I think Jimbo is a decent hire, but no homerun in my opinion. He has had SEC level recruiting in the ACC and still not won the conference. I think the jury is still out on him. It will be interesting to see what happens in the UF v. FSU game this year. Jimbo won last year when UF was down, but what will it say if he loses this year? I think it will say that he has beaten lesser opponents, but has still yet to win the big game at FSU.

FSU beat Clemson this year, but outside of that, Jimbo doesn't have a signature win while at FSU, but does have some pretty embarrassing losses. Last year they lost to Wake Forest and Virginia. This year NC State. I'm just not totally convinced Jimbo is ready for SEC play. I'm afraid Jimbo could be Auburn's Mark Richt. Around 10 wins a year, but losing to someone you shouldn't ruins your chance at a conference/national title. That being said, I believe him to be an upgrade over Chizik given the current state of our program and would welcome him if hired.

Agree with everything you said.

And consider this, most schools don't easily fire coaches who have won a National Championship - except us! Good luck finding another school dumb enough to let their championship coach get away, let alone fire him. We are something else....

Name me one school that had two wins, with three games to go, just two short seasons after winning a NC.

....or at 1-7 had the worse start to their season since 1952, or if it goes 3-9 will have the most losses of any AU team since the 0-10 campaign in 1950, or that set all time negative records in scoring defense for their program for 3 years, or that..... well you get the idea.

And consider this, most schools don't easily fire coaches who have won a National Championship - except us! Good luck finding another school dumb enough to let their championship coach get away, let alone fire him. We are something else....

Name me one school that had two wins, with three games to go, just two short seasons after winning a NC.

....or at 1-7 had the worse start to their season since 1952, or if it goes 3-9 will have the most losses of any AU team since the 0-10 campaign in 1950, or that set all time negative records in scoring defense for their program for 3 years, or that..... well you get the idea.

A lot of people saw this happening 2 years ago..............I defended CGC until the ARK game..........then I came out of the denial phase!!LOL

A lot of people saw this happening 2 years ago..............I defended CGC until the ARK game..........then I came out of the denial phase!!LOL

Love your sig line.

If Fisher is hired its not a given Stoops will follow he is a hot assistant that can get a HC gig somewhere after the season but more than likely most of his assistants will come with him. Maybe Eddie Goldman and Jameis Winston will transfer to AU if Fisher is hired.

Their D Line Coach Hudson, who is awesome, would likely come in as DC.

Unless, Hudson becomes the new FSU head coach and we keep BVG.

I think they would hire Stoops over Hudson.

Hopefully Fisher will also mold the play calling into what Auburn's offense is built for whether he continues to call the plays or he allows somebody else to call the plays.

He would likely call the plays as he does now at FSU.

Possible hires: Who are BOOM hires and who are not. Consider AU's past hires; History says we DO NOT make BOOM hires at AU.

Jimbo Fisher - BOOM Hire - If he has a chance to bring with him several of his assistants, this would be huge IMO for AU. They recruit really well and are good coaches. I would like the 2 AU backround coaches plus DC Stoops. Going in to last nights game FL ST's defense was overall #1 in the country. FL ST is 9-1 this year.

Bob Stoops - BOOM Hire - if this is possbile, it would be a BIG hire.

Charlie Strong - possible BOOM. He has done a great job at Louisville, can he do it and recruit well in the SEC.

Peterson - BOOM Hire, heard he is the leading candidate for AK

Gary Patterson - BOOM Hire, rumor has him going to AK.

NFL coaches

Chip Kelly - NO chance, most likely taking an NFL HC position

Fisher - BOOM Hire, but has never coached college. I would love to give him a shot if he wanted it though.

John Gruden - No chance, heard today he is ready to coach again, but most likely for Philly in the NFL.

There may be others. I would be very pleased with any of these coaches.

What about Gus?

Remember, this is just my opinion, I like Gus but IMO he would be more of a question mark than the coaches I wrote down originally,

So.. if Jimbo comes and Dameyune comes with him..

Anyone think Damyune is ready to be an OC?? With Gran as the Asst. HC.

If I had to guess QB coach and recruiting Coordinator.

Living in Tallahassee the last 20 years I'd enjoy taunting some Noles if this happened but IMHO Jimbo Fisher is currently the most overrated personality in college football. His claim to fame is being on the LSU staff when Saban backed into his first 1 loss nat'l title. He was a POSITION coach at Auburn during one of the most forgettable 5 yar periods in our history.

Any head coach @ FSU is guaranteed at least 8 wins, with the ACC schedule and the tons of world class in-state talent that grow up wanting to play for FSU (i.e. they're FSU's to lose). So far Fisher's accomplished what virtually anybody would accomplish coaching @ FSU. He's just a Bobby Bowden clone without the gut.

We can do better (Stoops, Gundy).

Archived