Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malzan is no go. Not worth talking about.

Then don't...buh-bye! You may want to check the title of the thread as you come in the door next time.

seems to be spot on with the title of the thread and he does not like him.....

Hey phan, the point was if there is a thread to TALK about Malzahn and he comes in and says "not worth TALKing about". Then it sounds like this isn't the thread for him and he should leave. But thanks for your gracious contribution to the discussion. :-\

Hey phan, the point was if there is a thread to TALK about Malzahn and he comes in and says "not worth TALKing about". Then it sounds like this isn't the thread for him and he should leave. But thanks for your gracious contribution to the discussion. :-\

gotcha ya, lol!

Here's the situation in a nutshell. There are 4 coaches that have taken two schools to bcs games. Four. One of them has fallen into Auburn's lap, almost like a gift from God. But you people, who are claiming to know more football than CBS broadcasters, think we should pass on him. For whom? A guy with less than a year's experience, that has averaged 5 losses a year without cam, who was a part of putting auburn in the mess we are in. And I haven't even discussed the fact that the majority of his career has been spent in high school. Nor have I discussed his complete lack of qb evaluation. I'm all for independent thought, just not when it's so ignorant.

But this obviously isn't the Auburn way...? I think some in the Auburn "family" want to be "just ok" in sports. People want a scout leader instead of a hard nosed football coach. Auburn fans on here say don't want to be like bammer, but dang, look what they're doing... 3 Natty's in 4 years. Heck, I would love for our program to be where bammers is! I want to get the best coach and compete for championships EVERY year!!! Not a gimicky coordinator!

Gr8, you and Weegs bring the best arguments. It's called being a competitor... A big-time coach will put us in the best position to COMPETE!

HA! First you want to hang your hat on Petrino and now GR8 and Weegs? HA!

When did I mention Petrino in my post...? I said we need a hard-nosed coach!

You didn't need to. You had GR8 and Weegs do it for you. See what happens when you let those two represent you!

Love how people will talk about someone not in here discussing right now. Good grief. Don't let the 8 and 5ers get you down brother, they love mediocrity.

People, Gus did not win the NC at Auburn. Cam Newton did. Gus just adapted his offense to make everything about Cam and then took the credit. It's all great and wonderful that Gus is lighting things up in the worst conference in the country, but I don't want him. Time for a new, fresh face.

Lmao...that's what a good coach is supposed to do

I don't know jack about what kind of guy Malzahn is, but he impressed me by winning the Sun Belt in his first year as a HC. Even if it was a lesser conference and only one year, he was successful and did what he needed to do. He definitely has what it takes to be a hc. Whether he has what it takes to be a HC in the SEC is another question,of course, and I couldn't begin to answer that. If Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson, and Mac Crawford are convinced he is the right guy to be Auburn's HC, that would be good enough for me. If Malzahn is hired, I hope no one goes to the airport to boo him on arrival.

I don't know jack about what kind of guy Malzahn is, but he impressed me by winning the Sun Belt in his first year as a HC. Even if it was a lesser conference and only one year, he was successful and did what he needed to do. He definitely has what it takes to be a hc. Whether he has what it takes to be a HC in the SEC is another question,of course, and I couldn't begin to answer that. If Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson, and Mac Crawford are convinced he is the right guy to be Auburn's HC, that would be good enough for me. If Malzahn is hired, I hope no one goes to the airport to boo him on arrival.

Well said. After years of mediocre coaching moves, a lot of these people, rightfully so, want us to go out and hire the biggest names in the game, and if given the opportunity, I'm sure we'll try. The fact is that Auburn isn't where the sun rises and sets to the rest of the world, and often times, we have to take a flier on a guy, or hire a known yet not-earthshattering commodity. Malzahn has tremendous upside, and in his 1st year as a head coach, he beat everybody he was supposed to beat, and won his conference. Furthermore, we have a team loaded with players to fit his system. I know the shine wore off of him for most of us in 2011, but it has now been well documented that Chizik had changed his offensive game plan, and that was a detriment to Malzahn's success. It is no wonder Malzahn took a huge pay cut to go to Ark St. when the year before he could have been paid 2 times as much to go somewhere else. Up until 2011, Malzahn had had highly effective offenses everywhere he had gone.

I think Gus would be a good coach.But it all depends on what kind of team you want.High scoring or smashmouth.

Here's the situation in a nutshell. There are 4 coaches that have taken two schools to bcs games. Four. One of them has fallen into Auburn's lap, almost like a gift from God. But you people, who are claiming to know more football than CBS broadcasters, think we should pass on him. For whom? A guy with less than a year's experience, that has averaged 5 losses a year without cam, who was a part of putting auburn in the mess we are in. And I haven't even discussed the fact that the majority of his career has been spent in high school. Nor have I discussed his complete lack of qb evaluation. I'm all for independent thought, just not when it's so ignorant.

But this obviously isn't the Auburn way...? I think some in the Auburn "family" want to be "just ok" in sports. People want a scout leader instead of a hard nosed football coach. Auburn fans on here say don't want to be like bammer, but dang, look what they're doing... 3 Natty's in 4 years. Heck, I would love for our program to be where bammers is! I want to get the best coach and compete for championships EVERY year!!! Not a gimicky coordinator!

Gr8, you and Weegs bring the best arguments. It's called being a competitor... A big-time coach will put us in the best position to COMPETE!

HA! First you want to hang your hat on Petrino and now GR8 and Weegs? HA!

When did I mention Petrino in my post...? I said we need a hard-nosed coach!

You didn't need to. You had GR8 and Weegs do it for you. See what happens when you let those two represent you!

Love how people will talk about someone not in here discussing right now. Good grief. Don't let the 8 and 5ers get you down brother, they love mediocrity.

Gus won a NC in 3 years at Auburn, even with the Chizik factor working against him. If that's mediocrity, then okay, your right, I love it. Without Gus there is no 2010 NC.

When did Petrino win his last championship? Well, when was it?

I think the key with Gus would be what type Defense he could get. The DC is the key. If he could get someone that could figure out a way to complement the offense hen I think we could really have something. Also it would help with the get Def. class that has been started and help us hang onto them.

Gus has seen the inner workings of Auburn Football. I'm sure he would take the job only if he could have total control and if the PTB back away and let him.

Gus has had only 1 year of being a head coach. It's a lot different from just being an OC to being a HC. Besides, he wouldn't be the splash hire that we need so badly.

All of you guys that were on the old AE know how I felt about Gus. While others were clamoring for him to leave so AU could get back to old smash mouth football, I was one of the few that was disappointed in seeing him go. Hell my last thread on that site was, "One last ride on the Gus Bus."

However, now is not the time to be bringing Gus back to Auburn. Auburn needs a coach that identifies the weakness of a D and schemes to attack those weaknesses. We wont get that with Gus. Instead we will get an O that is predicated on wearing a defense out with its frantic pace. Yeah, it looks good when it works but when it doesn't you better be prepared for your defense to give up a crap load of points. I'm telling you guys if we mess this up with Petrino and hire Gus, we are going to regret it. Mark it down.

All of you guys that were on the old AE know how I felt about Gus. While others were clamoring for him to leave so AU could get back to old smash mouth football, I was one of the few that was disappointed in seeing him go. Hell my last thread on that site was, "One last ride on the Gus Bus."

However, now is not the time to be bringing Gus back to Auburn. Auburn needs a coach that identifies the weakness of a D and schemes to attack those weaknesses. We wont get that with Gus. Instead we will get an O that is predicated on wearing a defense out with its frantic pace. Yeah, it looks good when it works but when it doesn't you better be prepared for your defense to give up a crap load of points. I'm telling you guys if we mess this up with Petrino and hire Gus, we are going to regret it. Mark it down.

I know not everyone is going to agree with you, but I agree completely. I always thought that while Gus was setting offensive records left and right, his offensive mindset leaves defenses high and dry because they spend so much time on the field.

I hear you tiger. I would be happy with Paterson as well, but our defense has to improve,and cull anyone who is not giving 100%.

The HUNH is not necessarily a spread offense. You can run a wishbone from a HUNH. HUNH is just that, a Hurry Up No Huddle Offense. It has nothing to do with the formation. The confusion comes in because many spread offenses also do HUNH.

The HUNH is not necessarily a spread offense. You can run a wishbone from a HUNH. HUNH is just that, a Hurry Up No Huddle Offense. It has nothing to do with the formation. The confusion comes in because many spread offenses also do HUNH.

Wait, facts? Knowledge? Wisdom? *I'm lost*

Having a spread offense that works and a good defense is not logically possible. The only way it would work is if you slow down your offense, and that defeats the whole purpose of having a spread offense.

DyeHard...your statement is without merit.

The spread doesn't have to involve a HUNH and frantic pace. You can huddle up and still use the spread. However, since we are talking about Gus, I'll leave this debate focused on high pace offenses.

It is not "illogical" to believe you can have a good defense with a HUNH spread. I think your argument is that when scoring or not scoring, the HUNH allows less rest for your defense, due to shorter offensive possessions. Therefore, you believe that the HUNH spread results in our defense being too tired to play defense. This is a fallacy, perpetuated by Gene Chizik and believed by gullible Auburn fans who didn't realize Chizik sucked as a defensive coach.

If our defense is tired, so is the opposing offense. In fact, more time of possession should affect the offense more, since teams substitute defensive linemen more often than offensive linemen. Does the HUNH spread result in our defense being more tired than our offense? Sure. Does it result in our defense being more tired than our opponent's offense? If you say yes, then you, my friend, are making a statement that appears illogical.

Let's get off the Chizik theories and get back to reality...in 2010, Auburn ran a smash mouth attack with a HUNH spread. Meyer has fielded good defenses despite running the spread for years. Chip Kelley has Oregon playing good defense, with a HUNH spread.

If a team recruits good defensive players, develops them, and employs a sound scheme, unlike the Tampa 2 that even Monte Kiffin has abandoned in college football, then you can field a strong defense, regardless of whether you run a spread, option, or tradition power set offense, or even a true pro style offense like Petrino.

Archived