Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I still don't buy it. If you're going to interview someone like this, with the baggage he has, and you're serious about possibly hiring there is no way you don't sit across the table face to face with him and grill him for a couple of hours at least.

petrino has been pushing for the au job.

how do we know that they haven't met already, say, during the season at some point? this could all be a process to see if anyone measured up to petrino and that petrino was the default hire. maybe the 35 min conversation was like "we looked at everybody and they sucked. you still interested, bobby?"

I can't go into details but if you have a Rivals sub, go look at what Jay Tate wrote about this "interview." Suffice it to say that those among the movers and shakers who supported Petrino are incensed. Not because he wasn't chosen but because of this BS phone call being called a legitimate interview.

does tate really know what went on? did bo jackson call him and tell him?

not being a smart-@$$, just wondering how he would know.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't buy it. If you're going to interview someone like this, with the baggage he has, and you're serious about possibly hiring there is no way you don't sit across the table face to face with him and grill him for a couple of hours at least.

Why is that? His foibles are all a matter of public record. No need to get the guy in and humiliate him by going over all the sordid details.

Because you're digging to gauge where he's at now, ask him about what changes he's made since then and so on.

BTW, without going into the details since it's paid content, Jay Tate says the phone interview was more like 15 minutes and involved no serious questions. In other words just as I say: perfunctory.

Why is that? His foibles are all a matter of public record. No need to get the guy in and humiliate him by going over all the sordid details.

Because you're digging to gauge where he's at now, ask him about what changes he's made since then and so on.

BTW, without going into the details since it's paid content, Jay Tate says the phone interview was more like 15 minutes and involved no serious questions. In other words just as I say: perfunctory.

Suits me if they didn't interview him at all. What continues to surprise me is that there is such a seemingly large contingency of Petrino kool-aid drinkers who honestly believe this guy was a legitimate candidate for the job given the exceedingly short timeline since one of THE most embarrassing implosions in college football history that left a mockery of a major University in its wake. Good Lord!

Everyone is so ticked about Petrino only getting a phone interview. Personally I'm fine with hiring Petrino, but let me ask a question....

If you ran a business and had 2 applicants:

1 is young, looking to make a name for himself, has good credentials and is well respected.

2nd is older, more experienced, proven track record BUT was fired because he did something that had the potential to bring a huge lawsuit to his last company..

Who would you hire for your CEO? Most businesses aren't going to risk a potential lawsuit down the road.

how do we know that they haven't met already, say, during the season at some point? this could all be a process to see if anyone measured up to petrino and that petrino was the default hire. maybe the 35 min conversation was like "we looked at everybody and they sucked. you still interested, bobby?"

I can't go into details but if you have a Rivals sub, go look at what Jay Tate wrote about this "interview." Suffice it to say that those among the movers and shakers who supported Petrino are incensed. Not because he wasn't chosen but because of this BS phone call being called a legitimate interview.

Are we sure Petrino won't be chosen?

I wasn't a "kool-aid drinker", I just felt he was the best coaching candidate available. What I expected was a real interview. I expect when you interview for a head coaching job you actually do your job and interview the best candidates. I could handle them going with someone else had that occurred. As it is, they just decided to check a box and patronize those who felt Petrino was the best option. I should have known with Gogue didn't have the balls to fire JJ's ass that he likewise wouldn't have the balls to see this through either.

Everyone is so ticked about Petrino only getting a phone interview. Personally I'm fine with hiring Petrino, but let me ask a question....

1 is young, looking to make a name for himself, has good credentials and is well respected.

2nd is older, more experienced, proven track record BUT was fired because he did something that had the potential to bring a huge lawsuit to his last company..

Who would you hire for your CEO? Most businesses aren't going to risk a potential lawsuit down the road.

I'd do more than a 15 minute interview to figure it out.

honestly we shouldn't be wasting our time with him. out of all the other schools that had an opportunity to hire him, he wasn't chosen. sometimes a huge risk isn't worth the reward. who's to say more stuff won't come out about his past that requires him to step down.

does tate really know what went on? did bo jackson call him and tell him?

not being a smart-@$$, just wondering how he would know.

Jay Tate has excellent sources. If he's giving that level of specificity, take it to the bank. Otherwise he won't say it.

I wasn't a "kool-aid drinker", I just felt he was the best coaching candidate available. What I expected was a real interview. I expect when you interview for a head coaching job you actually do your job and interview the best candidates. I could handle them going with someone else had that occurred. As it is, they just decided to check a box and patronize those who felt Petrino was the best option. I should have known with Gogue didn't have the balls to fire JJ's ass that he likewise wouldn't have the balls to see this through either.

It just seems to me that you are sold on the idea that YOU know whats best for Auburn. Im not so sure I buy it. You didn't answer my ealier quesiton...how can you be so sure that anybody but Petrino will be a certain failure. It just seems your mind is made up that you're going to be disappointed here. I really dont get it.

It just seems to me that you are sold on the idea that YOU know whats best for Auburn. Im not so sure I buy it. You didn't answer my ealier quesiton...how can you be so sure that anybody but Petrino will be a certain failure. It just seems your mind is made up that you're going to be disappointed here. I really dont get it.

i concur. Some people are sold that he is a guarantee to succeed here and can be the only one to do it. My gut tells me that there is more to Petrino's story than what people know.

What seems to you and what is are two different things. What I believe and have said all along is that you legitimately interview him. Then you decide, even if it ends up being someone else. What I'm seeing instead is that there's no candidate on the table with a superior resume and we did a sham interview with him to try and placate people. So yeah, I'm disappointed.

blue, we have had this debate now for days. some folks, like me, think BP is one of the best HC candidates out there. The arguments have gotten stale on both sides, quite frankly. you dont like the guy ... i get it. but he is without a doubt one of the best HC options out there and if they gave him a cursory interview to appease the public is insulting.

it appears that they, like arky with patterson and tenn with gruden, have miscalculated on some of their strategies. just interview the best legitimate candidates and choose. if they were never going to take him seriously then dont interview him at all.

i concur. Some people are sold that he is a guarantee to succeed here and can be the only one to do it. My gut tells me that there is more to Petrino's story than what people know.

No one is a guaranteed success. You have to go on track record and resumes to a great extent. Petrino's is superior to any of the guys left in the mix (which apparently is Gus or Kirby).

If there's more to his story, then say that. Don't BS me with a 15 minute bull**** interview and tell me you did your job.

No one is a guaranteed success. You have to go on track record and resumes to a great extent. Petrino's is superior to any of the guys left in the mix (which apparently is Gus or Kirby).

If there's more to his story, then say that. Don't BS me with a 15 minute bull**** interview and tell me you did your job.

+1

bp is still tops on my list for the reasons i have said in the previous 262 pages (i laid it out on page 115 or 116, i think) ... i will admit that KS has grown on me as the process has gone along. Jimbo went down my list ... strong, mora and gus were never on my list. i am neutral on gundy. patterson/peterson were always at the top of my list, but in my mind less realistic. the whole gruden, fisher and other pro coaches were too far fetched ... although fisher was intriguing.

interview the best realistic candidates and choose. stop with the charades. makes me wonder how these bone heads ever got successful in the first place.

What seems to you and what is are two different things. What I believe and have said all along is that you legitimately interview him. Then you decide, even if it ends up being someone else. What I'm seeing instead is that there's no candidate on the table with a superior resume and we did a sham interview with him to try and placate people. So yeah, I'm disappointed.

Exactly right. Whether or not he gets hired is not the issue. You at least show the man with the best resume in the final group, along with his supporters, the courtesy and respect of a face to face interview. It's the professional way of doing business. They would have to be tone deaf not to do that. My hope is that the call was to set up a face to face today.

If Petrino is the one, it won't be easy to tell the parents that Bobby will watch over and take care of their sons for the next 3 to 4 years. I would not let my son play for him.

Well, I understand but what I dont understand is why he is even considered a legitimate candidate. I base that on the obvious....Auburn is NOT just a football team looking for a coach. The end...this guy disqualified himself from A LOT of COLLEGE jobs. Oh, doesn't it seem the least bit odd to you that none of the other schools conducting coach searches have interviewed the guy? Wonder why that is seeing how he is the best available in the world? And as an after thought...you stil still didn't answer my question.

Well, I understand but what I dont understand is why he is even considered a legitimate candidate. I base that on the obvious....Auburn is NOT just a football team looking for a coach. The end...this guy disqualified himself from A LOT of COLLEGE jobs. Oh, doesn't it seem the least bit odd to you that none of the other schools conducting coach searches have interviewed the guy? Wonder why that is seeing how he is the best available in the world?

My take is that he put his last employer in a precarious situation with potential litigation. No business is going to want to touch that. Folks need to start looking at this from a business perspective, because that's what this is.....a business. YES winning carries a lot of weight, but not at that risk.

The moral card should has nothing to do with it. What the guy does in his relationship is up to him.

With that said, I think the dude would win and win quick.

If Petrino is the one, it won't be easy to tell the parents that Bobby will watch over and take care of their sons for the next 3 to 4 years. I would not let my son play for him.

This is not a good argument. Considering the former regime.

BlueVue,

I didn't answer it because it's inane...I never even insinuated that anyone else would be a failure just as I never claimed anyone would be a guaranteed success.

Auburn is not JUST a football team, but we are hiring for the coach of the football team. We're not hiring for the chairman of the Board of Trustees, the school president or the dean of the engineering school. Whether you disagree or not, I don't think you dismiss him out of hand without a serious interview.

I love those that say "I wouldnt let my son play for him". You guys are funny. Wonder how many of you all have sons with D-1 talent for this to even be a concern?

I have to adamantly disagree with you.

Chizik was very well respected by parents - granted - he couldn't coach a lick, but was respected by parents.

Petrino would be perceived as a risk by a lot of parents. Whether it be warranted or not.

I agree, parents and athletes wont care where he sticks his wang as long as he puts them in the league and sets them up to be successful on the field.

Archived