Recruiting under Malzahn

WarDamn2010

Today on rivals, I read an article that something to the effect of Gus Malzahn doesn't make unbreakable bonds with recruits on an in-home visit and can at times be considered a bore. Chizik seemed, to me anyway, to have less energy than Malzahn though. Anyway, I pose this question. Will recruiting under Malzahn be the machine that it was under Chizik?

Today on rivals, I read an article that something to the effect of Gus Malzahn doesn't make unbreakable bonds with recruits on an in-home visit and can at times be considered a bore. Chizik seemed, to me anyway, to have less energy than Malzahn though. Anyway, I pose this question. Will recruiting under Malzahn be the machine that it was under Chizik?

Probably not. Gene as an amazing recruiter was the polar opposite of Tuberville. Tubs brought in mediocre classes and coached them in to winners. Chiz brought in flashy classes but couldnt coach a lick. I'll be happy with classes somewhere in between Tubs and Chiz.

I really think he will do just as good as Chizik in recruiting. I sure hope so anyway. I hope he somehow pulls Dameyune Craig in as qb coach or even O coordinator and keeps Trooper and Luper. If he can do that, or even come close, we would be hard to out-recruit

It will depend on how many he keeps this year, which assistants he keeps, and improvement/development of 4-5 stars. So basically everything lol

I think that there will be several surprises in this class offensively now. Cam Sutton is one to watch, under the radar stud from Jonesboro HS in ga that was committed to tenn but Dooley being fired has him in doubt. He's got ridiculous feet.

Malzahn was listed as one of the best recruiters in the SEC before he left Auburn (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/19541/the-secs-25-best-recruiters). I'm not saying he's Trooper Taylor, but he doesn't have to be. I expect to continue to be successful in the recruiting game.

I have no worries about the level of talent he'll pull in on the offensive side of the ball and if we get Rocker I think we can feel pretty confident on who we can sign on defense as well. If Trooper stays then that will just add to what we can do on signing day.

Malzahn was listed as one of the best recruiters in the SEC before he left Auburn (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/19541/the-secs-25-best-recruiters). I'm not saying he's Trooper Taylor, but he doesn't have to be. I expect to continue to be successful in the recruiting game.

Did yall notice we may potentially have four of the ones on that list on our staff? And that's without Rocker!

Probably not. But hopefully the players grow and improve.

I really think he will do just as good as Chizik in recruiting. I sure hope so anyway. I hope he somehow pulls Dameyune Craig in as qb coach or even O coordinator and keeps Trooper and Luper. If he can do that, or even come close, we would be hard to out-recruit

:hellyeah: Thats talking my language!!! :bananadance:

My take is that Malzahn will shoot straight with recruits, not blow smoke up their arse. This may cost him a few kids that want to hear all that, but his intensity and credibility will draw other kids in.

My take is that Malzahn will shoot straight with recruits, not blow smoke up their arse. This may cost him a few kids that want to hear all that, but his intensity and credibility will draw other kids in.

One BIG problem with this way of thinking... Malzahn recruited his fair shair of athletes currently on Auburn's roster. Sorry, just not following what you are trying to imply.

the one thing working for Gus when it comes to offensive recruits is the likes of the Harvins and Cobbs in the NFL and not to mention the Cams and Griffins that show the evolution of the NFL game. He will need to continue to evolve his philosophy on the offensive side of the ball and be less predictable with formations and adjusting to the SEC adjusting to his offense and tendancies.

I will watch how well Gus recruits carefully but I will not judge his recruiting ability based on this year. He seemed to be doing OK at ASU in regards to recruiting at least thier fans liked the class he put together in the last few months.

I also hear Ellis has the reputation of being a good recruiter so this helps.

Anyone think we will go after a juco QB to fill the gap until JJ is ready or to push Wallace...I just don't see "our" QB on the roster yet...

Malzahn was listed as one of the best recruiters in the SEC before he left Auburn (http://espn.go.com/b...best-recruiters). I'm not saying he's Trooper Taylor, but he doesn't have to be. I expect to continue to be successful in the recruiting game.

Did yall notice we may potentially have four of the ones on that list on our staff? And that's without Rocker!

Plus there are a few Tennessee and Kentucky coaches on there who, if they are good position coaches, are probably ripe for the picking.

I will watch how well Gus recruits carefully but I will not judge his recruiting ability based on this year. He seemed to be doing OK at ASU in regards to recruiting at least thier fans liked the class he put together in the last few months.

I also hear Ellis has the reputation of being a good recruiter so this helps.

Had the #68 recruiting class, tops in the Sun Belt. Managed to come into Alabama and snag all the good (not great) players that AU/UA wouldn't offer.

WINNING is the best recruiter of them all. Once Gus puts some W's on the ledger, the recruits will take notice. It will also help if he can put some players in the NFL.

Anyone think we will go after a juco QB to fill the gap until JJ is ready or to push Wallace...I just don't see "our" QB on the roster yet...

Kiehl Frazier is 100% Malzahn's recruit for Auburn, he basically stalked the kid after the 8th grade. Since he wasn't around to show us exactly what he saw in Frazier (other than mega high school honors & gaudy stats), hard to imagine CGM giving up on Frazier just yet.

Just glancing at the article, I noticed Malzahn was ranked ahead of both Luper and Trooper and newly hired DC Ellis Johnson ranked ahead of Malzahn. I know this poll is from the 2011 season but goes to show Gus knows the name of the college game...RECRUITING!

The first thing you have to do is find a JUCO QB capable of playing SEC ball that's not already headed somewhere else. With the JUCO signing date just a little over a week away finding such a guy would be harder than locating a needle in a haystack. Most likely there ain't no such animal out there.

Just glancing at the article, I noticed Malzahn was ranked ahead of both Luper and Trooper and newly hired DC Ellis Johnson ranked ahead of Malzahn. I know this poll is from the 2011 season but goes to show Gus knows the name of the college game...RECRUITING!

The list was done "alphabetically" according to the article intro...but quite obviously the proofreader was a Bama grad and put Luper after Malzahn. Hahaha

It was an alphabetical listing.

Archived