How close are we?

DunderMifflin

"This is why we work you in the SUMMERTIME, in JANUARY and FEBRUARY. This is why we push you beyond what you think you can do.....to experience moments like this."

- Coach Pat Dye, December 2, 1989 in the post game locker room after one of the most important wins in Auburn history

Standing there in the celebration of one of the biggest wins in Auburn history Coach Dye mentions what? The work that team did in the Winter and Summer leading up to the season.

The current AU program certainly has other issues that can't be solved by running a few sprints or lifting a few weights, but working these guys the way a football team should be worked to allow it to reach its potential will go a long way toward getting us where we want to be.

Taking a second look at last season, I believe two very simple things would have made us a solid bowl team: better conditioning and a simple will to win.

In the second half of the season, last year's AU team played the BCS #2, #7 and #9 and never really even challenged them, but looking at the six losses prior to that....

Loss 1 - Down 13-10 at the half and tied 16-16 at the end of third qtr with then #14 team. Outscored 10-3 in fourth.

Loss 2 - Down 7-3 at halftime. Outscored 21-7 in second half and opponent could have scored more.

Loss 3 - Up 10-9 at halftime on then #2 team. Outscored 3-0 in second half.

Loss 4 - Down 10-0 at the half and 10-7 at end of third qtr. Outscored 14-0 in fourth.

Loss 5 - Tied 17-17 at the half and down 24-20 at end of third qtr. Outscored 17-0 in fourth.

Loss 6 - Tied 10-10 at the half. Down 17-10 at end of third qtr. Outscored opponent 3-0 in fourth.

If you are keeping score that is a combined halftime score of Opponents 66 and Auburn 50 - and 10 of the 16 points in that combined halftime margin came in one game. Two of the games were tied and we were down 3, down 4, up 1 and down 10 in the others. That's anybody's ballgame.

To take it further, GOING INTO THE FOURTH QUARTER we were tied, down 11, down 2, down 3, down 4 and down 7 in these six games. Again, anybody's ballgame - with 15 minutes to play.

These are the first six losses. Even though the end result made this the worst AU team in my lifetime, if we execute well enough down the stretch, have that will to win and are conditioned to close it out IN JUST FOUR OF THE SIX......we win seven games last season and are a solid bowl team with wins over the BCS #8 and #14 teams.

They say it is never as good as it seems (the 2010 team had five wins by three points or less) and never quite as bad as it seems (see above). I realize seven wins is not where we want to be, and I know Gus has bigger plans for this program, but I have a feeling the road back may not be as long as some think it is.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We win those games and we still have the same coaching staff and we are complacent with 6-8 wins a year.

2010 was a complete surprise and really tooo good. It may have just seemed from that point on that this was going to be easy (players and coaches). Just a slight letdown, less intensity, change in staff, slowing offensive pace to accomodate the defense, softing of dicipline, anything different can destroy what had been a good plan going in.

We win those games and we still have the same coaching staff and we are complacent with 6-8 wins a year.

Some folks were perfectly fine with AU "exceeding expectations" and said so on many occasions when the 2011 team got their arses handed to them by our biggest rivals. In the current SEC environment, an 8 win season is considered mediocre now, anything less than that is poor.

Hopefully AU has the coaching staff and players in place to compete at a very high level with the best of the SEC. All we can do is hope for the best and see what happens.

Some folks were perfectly fine with AU "exceeding expectations" and said so on many occasions when the 2011 team got their arses handed to them by our biggest rivals. In the current SEC environment, an 8 win season is considered mediocre now, anything less than that is poor.

Actually you could argue the opposite. Since the SEC is stronger now than it has ever been, there are only so many wins to go around. Bammer, AU, USCe, UF, UGA, A&M, UT, LSU are all about equal in talent and coaching. Usually one or two of those 8 will stand out (like bammer and LSU right now, but it fluctuates every few years). It wasn't so long ago that the AU/LSU game always determined the west and UT/UF always determined the east. Now it's bammer/LSU in the west and USCe/UGA/UF in the east. UT has fallen in the east and AU has fallen in the west, but you can count on both coming back.

I'd say an 8 win season would be about average for the "big 8" and would be considered "good" for the SEC teams not in the big 8. With the parity in the "big 8" all of them are not going to go 10+ wins every season. It's mathematically impossible.

Actually you could argue the opposite. Since the SEC is stronger now than it has ever been, there are only so many wins to go around. Bammer, AU, USCe, UF, UGA, A&M, UT, LSU are all about equal in talent and coaching. Usually one or two of those 8 will stand out (like bammer and LSU right now, but it fluctuates every few years). It wasn't so long ago that the AU/LSU game always determined the west and UT/UF always determined the east. Now it's bammer/LSU in the west and USCe/UGA/UF in the east. UT has fallen in the east and AU has fallen in the west, but you can count on both coming back.

I'd say an 8 win season would be about average for the "big 8" and would be considered "good" for the SEC teams not in the big 8. With the parity in the "big 8" all of them are not going to go 10+ wins every season. It's mathematically impossible.

All I'm trying to say is, if you're competing for championships in the SEC West, then 8 wins is considered mediocre. To be considered an elite team you better be able to haul in 10+ win season's these days. And, if your team can't perform at that level, then you just get left behind. Because, IMHO teams like LSU/UAT aren't going to fall off the map as long as they contiune to keep their current head coaches.

'I'd say an 8 win season would be about average for the "big 8" and would be considered "good" for the SEC teams not in the big 8. With the parity in the "big 8" all of them are not going to go 10+ wins every season. It's mathematically impossible.'

A very good point. With Auburn playing bamr, lsu, uga, ta&m & ark every season, and throwing in USe and uf every other season, winning 10+ games on a regular basis will be difficult.

And what does Pat or anyone else say about us getting blown out by Texas A&M, Georgia and uat.

I think he would say what any of us think about it, it is not acceptable. It is not Auburn football. It has to change. And the point of the post was we may be closer to changing that than it seems.

Even as bad as last year's team was we were right there in six of the nine losses and let it get away in the fourth qtr. if last year's team was a 7-9 win team depending on how things fell in certain games down the stretch, what will we be able to do over the next couple seasons with guys pushing each other in the offseason program (with a little encouragement from the new strength coach), better coaching and having more people on the same page?

There are some issues to work through and gaps to fill but I don't see this as a multi-year rebuilding project.

And what does Pat or anyone else say about us getting blown out by Texas A&M, Georgia and uat.

There is no reason whatsoever that Auburn should get blown out by those teams, there is no justifiable reason that Auburn should ever get beat by VANDY. Auburn is on par with LSU/UAT/UGA/Arky/FLA/SCarl in our facilities, resources, and we have signed talented athletes that could compete at any of those programs. My prayers go out to Coach Malzhan & staff; they have a huge task ahead of them to get this program back the top of the SEC heap.

It might be mathematically impossible but things can be close to that. This year there were 6 teams to win 10 games in the league. I'm sure no one ever thought that would be possible either.

And what does Pat or anyone else say about us getting blown out by Texas A&M, GeorgIa and uat.

There is no reason whatsoever that Auburn should get blown out by those teams, there is no justifiable reason that Auburn should ever get beat by VANDY. Auburn is on par with LSU/UAT/UGA/Arky/FLA/SCarl in our facilities, resources, and we have signed talented athletes that could compete at any of those programs. My prayers go out to Coach Malzhan & staff; they have a huge task ahead of them to get this program back the top of the SEC heap.

You say we should never lose to Vandy and I agree but do you realize they're the only team in the east to whom we have a losing all-time record?

This year's team was very, very close to being pretty danged good, and I'm not talking about 7-8 wins good. Sure, they might have ended up there by the end of the year, especially considering the competition, but the team I saw when I went to Atlanta to see them play Clemson was leaps and bounds better than the team we saw get taken to the woodshed during Amen Corner. The MSU game reminded me a lot of the 05 Georgia Tech game, when Brandon Cox threw all those interceptions against a defense that played up past what we'd thought it would. The La-Monroe game should have been a blowout, but that bunch is resilient (and got a couple of breaks)...and we still pulled it out. The LSU game was one of the best teams in the country very nearly getting it handed to them.

The Arkansas game was, in my opinion, the breaking point. Supposedly Frazier was hurt, but I don't believe that. He might have had something small nagging him, but I suspect very strongly that being hurt was just the excuse that was given; from my vantage point in the upper deck, I could see that he was really very close to stepping into that role of being "the man"...and the entire second half, I kept saying we need to put Kiehl back in the game and let him make this team his by leading the definitive touchdown drive and get us back in it.

Frazier never came back in, and the season unraveled after that.

Maybe I'm too optimistic. Maybe I think too much of Kiehl. But I adamantly believe that if he'd been put back in (and I don't even mind benching him for a couple of drives to let him get his head right), he would have stepped up and become the leader we've needed at QB for the last two years. Which would have given us an offense, would have given the defense a reason to keep playing, and would likely have had us finishing with at least 7-8 wins in the regular season with a bowl game yet to come.

But things happen for a reason. As I've reflected upon Chizik's tenure, it seems all the more obvious now that his success was derived from having Malzahn calling the shots on offense. With Gus back in town, it gives the players a chance to regroup and refocus. If they derive the work ethic to get back to winning, they will win. If they put in the time in the weight room and they push to become part of Gus's system, then I see absolutely no reason why Auburn won't be right back competing for the West division crown next year. The defensive line is loaded with veterans (who, with proper weight training, won't look like rag doll sleds getting pushed around, they way they did last year), the secondary showed signs of getting better last season and will also be loaded with veterans, the offensive line returns four starters, a thousand yard rusher returns in spite of the dismal offensive year we had, and we have three QBs who have started SEC games and experienced what it is like to play in a hostile atmosphere. There is talent up and down the roster (and I don't want to hear about how much we don't have the talent we thought we did because recruiting rankings don't mean anything...too many other top notch programs were after these guys to believe they don't have something special in them), there is a renewed spirit with the return of the "Gus Bus", and I firmly believe that things will turn around in a hurry for us.

Time will tell.

I don't think we are that far away from being really good again. I know a lot of media attention will be put on a completely new coaching staff and the players we lose. But I think you have to look at what is already in place. We are not completely starting over like many programs. We are re-installing a system, not installing a totally new one that no one is used to playing. Most of these guys were recruited to play in CGM system in the first place. WIth all the talent on offense, I think the O will be ready this season. The defense will take time to rebuild. There we are starting from scratch. But with that being said, we do have a lot of talent in all those top 10 recruiting classes. I think the O keeps us in games in 2013 (my guess is 7-8 wins), but by 2014 I think the D is ready to match up and we have a chance at 10+ wins again.

We have no middle line backers, from what i've seen. Our DL still gets pushed around far too much. Our ends never seem to pressure the QB...

And unless our QB play improves, ( which it finally did, some, under Wallace ) , I'd look for more of the same.

At least, that's my attitude , coming into next season.

LBs are shaky at best

DL play is non-existent

QB play is spotty

Our most proven WR just graduated

Our most proven TE just graduated

DBs don't know what an INT is

OL play is streaky

We've got a VERY long way to go

LBs are shaky at best

DL play is non-existent

QB play is spotty

OL play is streaky

I see things much like you do selias. It's hard as hell to find even a few "stand out" players on this team right now. I mean leaders, that are a guiding force on this team that lead by example and are true "game changers" that our biggest rivals fear. The Rivals/Scout sites say we have talent, according to their star ratings - I have yet to see that star talent perform at a level they were touted when they hit the AU campus. Until I see these guys play up to their advertised potential, I will remain a skeptic.

LBs are shaky at best

DL play is non-existent

QB play is spotty

OL play is streaky

This is why I don't agree with recruits jumping ship. I know that we have a new staff but these guys could have a real shot of coming in and playing right out of the gate.

LBs are shaky at best

DL play is non-existent

QB play is spotty

OL play is streaky

This is why I don't agree with recruits jumping ship. I know that we have a new staff but these guys could have a real shot of coming in and playing right out of the gate.

I agree 100% - I hope every position on this team is up for grabs come Spring, at least they should be open, hopefully the recruits are being told that they can come in and compete for a starting role. I would think that HS recruits would want to jump at a chance like that, rather than sit on a bench at UGA/LSU/UAT/FLA, etc. and have to wait for the upperclassmen to graduate or move on to the NFL.

And what does Pat or anyone else say about us getting blown out by Texas A&M, GeorgIa and uat.

You say we should never lose to Vandy and I agree but do you realize they're the only team in the east to whom we have a losing all-time record?

That's because we played them regularly when they were a top 10 team virtually ever year (1900-1960) then proceded to be allowed to play them under the SEC rotation about once a decade when they generally stunk 1960-2010. Bear got Bama playing Vandy virtually every year during that period. Becasue we regularly played Miami, Florida & Florida State when they sucked (anything before the 1980s) they all have losing records against us.

Archived