GA's/QC staff fired this morning

kickerman97

I won't link to premium content but it's being reported that Malzahn fired graduate assistants Al Pogue (special teams), Tony Gilbert (linebackers/DL), Aairon Savage (defensive backs) and Jeff Castle (offense), all quality control and assistant football operations this morning. I think that Pogue will be retained in some way but not as a GA. I think part of this was to free up the room for KB to return home. I am pretty sure there is a limit on the # of GA's you can have. Interesting nonetheless.

Anyone still think that Gus isn't making the decisions? I don't.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is making most of the decisions. I just think most of these decisions will lead to him being fired in 3 or 4 years. I just hope there is some real change and the stooges like Jacobs, Jackson, and Dye all go when he does

I think he is making most of the decisions. I just think most of these decisions will lead to him being fired in 3 or 4 years. I just hope there is some real change and the stooges like Jacobs, Jackson, and Dye all go when he does

Sigh, I wish you would just give it a rest.

With all of these firings, does this mean coach Malzah has full control of our football program? I surely hope so.

Personally I think it does.

It is your opinion but I strongly disagree with your views of Jacobs, Jackson and Dye as stooges. Time will tell on your predictions of failure. Back on topic.....Grad Assistants change very frequently in all football programs. It is like a paying internship to a person who wants to coach or learn a particular style of football. Happens in all graduate programs at a university.

So are you saying that firing a bunch of GAs is yet another mess up by Gus?

wde

So are you saying that firing a bunch of GAs is yet another mess up by Gus?

wde

Look at the substance of what he has posted since being here.....he is saying he doesn't like Auburn and hates every decision Gus makes. I think that sums it up.

Now back on topic. I think this will affect the comfort level of some players and think that is a great thing. Their comfort level equaled a 3-9 season last year. I want them to be uncomfortable and have to work hard to get comfortable again.

You gripe more than any human being I have ever run across. You must live a miserable life.

Just to be clear, you think that firing 4 GA's are part of something that will get him fired in a few years?

Just to be clear, you think that firing 4 GA's are part of something that will get him fired in a few years?

:rollin:

:rollin:

What are you laughing about ? It will probably ruin the 2015 season. :o ::::gasp::::

I hear some will say it was a mistake to fire the 4 GA's because they were nice guys, and these nice guys impressed recruits when they visited. Who cares how well or poor they coached, they were nice guys.

OK, I'm kidding! :)

And. . . most of the rest of our recruiting class is going to decommit.

And. . . the guys who do come to AU probably won't pan out.

And. . . we are probably going 3-9 again next year.

And. . . the year after that too.

And. . . debbie-downer.jpg

Happy Holidays to you, Oxford Tiger. I'm sure you are going to enjoy them.

War Eagle!

Lashlee tweeted something this AM about how much he enjoys working with Brandon Hall, you reckon he's headed to the Plains?

Brandon Hall enters his first season at Arkansas State as the Red Wolves' linebackers coach.

Hall most recently completed his second stint as the defensive assistant for quality control at Oklahoma, but has also served as the co-defensive coordinator at Central Oklahoma, the defensive coordinator at Broken Arrow (Okla.) High School, the linebackers coach at Northern Iowa and as a defensive graduate assistant coach with the Sooners over the last 11 years.

Since graduating from the University of Oklahoma in 2000 with his bachelor's degree, Hall has been a part of seven bowl teams, four conference championship squads and one national championship.

Hall's most recent stop at Oklahoma saw the Sooners post a 10-3 record that included a 31-14 victory over Iowa in the Insight Bowl. He rejoined the Sooners after working as an assistant coach at Central Oklahoma the previous three seasons, including the 2008 campaign when the Bronchos won the the Lone Star Conference North Division with a perfect 5-0 record within the division.

Hall served on the coaching staff in a different capacity each year at UCO, including co-defensive coordinator, linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator. During his tenure at Central Oklahoma, Hall coached four players who received first-team All-Lone Star Conference North Division honors, including 2008 LSC North Linebacker of the Year K.C. Asiodu.

Hall went to UCO after spending the 2007 season as an assistant coach at Broken Arrow, where he was in charge of linebackers and helped the Tigers to the state playoffs. The season prior he served as linebackers coach at Northern Iowa, helping lead the Panthers to a 7-4 record in 2006.

Hall started his coaching career as a student assistant coach at Oklahoma from 1998-2000.  He then worked three seasons as a graduate assistant with the Sooners, coaching linebackers. He joined the OU staff as a full-time defensive assistant for quality control in 2003 and served in that capacity for an additional three years.

During Hall's tenure at Oklahoma, the Sooners won the 2000 national championship with a perfect 13-0 record and played in two additional national championship games. Oklahoma also posted a 78-14 record during Hall's seven seasons at the school and claimed victories in the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, Holiday Bowl and Insight Bowl.

A native of Newcastle, Okla., Hall earned an associate's degree from Oklahoma City Community College before going on to receive his bachelor's and master's degrees from OU. Brandon and his wife Crystal have one daughter, Maddie.

Maybe he saw the ga's that were there as distractions not help! Maybe they were more the players friends instead of a good coaching figure! (like Trooper Taylor was) So maybe it wasn't a bad move.

What about GA Ryan Pugh?

It's funny you mention that because I read something about that very thing.

I wondered that as well. wasnt he recently awarded some type of scholarship/assistantship to go to grad school and be a GA?

Do you always have to be a giant toolbox and constantly full of negativity in every post? I really wish you would find another team to cheer for because you are an embarrassment here.

Lashlee tweeted something this AM about how much he enjoys working with Brandon Hall, you reckon he's headed to the Plains?

Brandon Hall enters his first season at Arkansas State as the Red Wolves' linebackers coach.

Hall most recently completed his second stint as the defensive assistant for quality control at Oklahoma, but has also served as the co-defensive coordinator at Central Oklahoma, the defensive coordinator at Broken Arrow (Okla.) High School, the linebackers coach at Northern Iowa and as a defensive graduate assistant coach with the Sooners over the last 11 years.

Since graduating from the University of Oklahoma in 2000 with his bachelor's degree, Hall has been a part of seven bowl teams, four conference championship squads and one national championship.

Hall's most recent stop at Oklahoma saw the Sooners post a 10-3 record that included a 31-14 victory over Iowa in the Insight Bowl. He rejoined the Sooners after working as an assistant coach at Central Oklahoma the previous three seasons, including the 2008 campaign when the Bronchos won the the Lone Star Conference North Division with a perfect 5-0 record within the division.

Hall served on the coaching staff in a different capacity each year at UCO, including co-defensive coordinator, linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator. During his tenure at Central Oklahoma, Hall coached four players who received first-team All-Lone Star Conference North Division honors, including 2008 LSC North Linebacker of the Year K.C. Asiodu.

Hall went to UCO after spending the 2007 season as an assistant coach at Broken Arrow, where he was in charge of linebackers and helped the Tigers to the state playoffs. The season prior he served as linebackers coach at Northern Iowa, helping lead the Panthers to a 7-4 record in 2006.

Hall started his coaching career as a student assistant coach at Oklahoma from 1998-2000.  He then worked three seasons as a graduate assistant with the Sooners, coaching linebackers. He joined the OU staff as a full-time defensive assistant for quality control in 2003 and served in that capacity for an additional three years.

During Hall's tenure at Oklahoma, the Sooners won the 2000 national championship with a perfect 13-0 record and played in two additional national championship games. Oklahoma also posted a 78-14 record during Hall's seven seasons at the school and claimed victories in the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, Holiday Bowl and Insight Bowl.

A native of Newcastle, Okla., Hall earned an associate's degree from Oklahoma City Community College before going on to receive his bachelor's and master's degrees from OU. Brandon and his wife Crystal have one daughter, Maddie.

I do like his resume. Wonder if he comes in as a quality control guy.

I don't know if anyone on here really knows (some folks do have inside info) why he is cleaning house, but let's face it, there are/were some serious problems with the former staff.

The way I see Gus is a total workaholic, perfectionist, professional, polished guy! I'm not claiming to be an expert, but in all of my leadership positions (military, business, Church and commmunity, worked for a congressmen for four years) you generally can't go wrong with the workaholic, perfectionist types!

On the negative side; I have experienced people who don't want to work for the workaholic, perfectionist, because they simply have to work so hard to please them! Even this can turn out to be a positive.

This is how I see Gus, I sure hope I am correct!

What about GA Ryan Pugh?

It's funny you mention that because I read something about that very thing.

I wondered that as well. wasnt he recently awarded some type of scholarship/assistantship to go to grad school and be a GA?

I wish I could remember the exact details but I cant remember which site I read it on. I think it was 247 but not sure. Your post jogged my memory and I remember his name was mentioned as a real possibility as a GA.

Archived