Newspaper That Published Map Of Gun Permit Holders Hires Armed Security Guards

Auburn85

http://www.mediaite.com/online/newspaper-that-published-map-of-gun-permit-holders-hires-armed-security-guards/

The Journal News, a New York newspaper, caused quite a stir after publishing a map with information about gun permit holders in several counties. The move didn’t sit well with many, despite the paper’s defense that all the information was legally acquired though Freedom of Information requests. Now, in light of “negative correspondence,” the paper has hired armed security guards.

The Rockland Times reported:

A Clarkstown police report issued on December 28, 2012, confirmed that The Journal News has hired armed security guards from New City-based RGA Investigations and that they are manning the newspaper’s Rockland County headquarters at 1 Crosfield Ave., West Nyack, through at least tomorrow, Wednesday, January 2, 2013.

Journal News Rockland Editor Caryn A. McBride, per police reports on public record, was alarmed by a barrage of “negative correspondence,” which included phone calls and emails. Thus, safety concerns prompted them to hire armed security.

According to the report, there haven’t been any issues at the paper’s office, despite the high volume of reaction they’ve received.

The Journal News‘ story included names and addresses about gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Putnam is still withholding the requested information. Unsurprisingly, it quickly caught attention and drew backlash — with one blogger even retaliating by publishing addresses of the newspaper’s staff members.

Isn't that funny. I wonder if any of the security guards' addresses were published.

I went on to find and watch the video of the guy who, in retaliation, published the addresses of the staff of the magazine. He brings up an unintended consequense to the newspapers actions.

"I’ve received emails from abused women who were under protective order and in hiding, and they’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/blogger-retaliates-against-gun-map-publishes-addresses-of-newspapers-staff/

I'm a strong proponent of gun control and I think the paper had every right to publish information on the permit holders--although it seemed a bit silly. And this latest story about the paper hiring armed guards is just funny. While I don't doubt that they have very real security concerns now it's pretty bad that they didn't see this coming.

Apparently more guns are the answer.

I don't think guns are the problem. It may just be that mentally ill people need treatment for mental illness.

If you were to ban all firearms tomorrow, what would happen? There would still be millions of guns out there for people to commit crimes with. And if they are crazy enought to commit murder (which is illegal) with a gun, they aren't going to be detered because the gun itself is illegal.

Guns are so much a problem for this administration that they gave Mexican Drug Cartels thousands of them in protest.

I don't think guns are the problem. It may just be that mentally ill people need treatment for mental illness.

If you were to ban all firearms tomorrow, what would happen? There would still be millions of guns out there for people to commit crimes with. And if they are crazy enought to commit murder (which is illegal) with a gun, they aren't going to be detered because the gun itself is illegal.

I wasn't disagreeing with your post at all. Just laughing at the paper for availing themselves of armed protection while trying to make pariahs out of private citizens for doing the same thing.

I wasn't disagreeing with your post at all. Just laughing at the paper for availing themselves of armed protection while trying to make pariahs out of private citizens for doing the same thing.

Most of the politicans and celebrities that are so pro gun control have armed body guards, and don't want to give them up.

Ah, I see. My fault.

Ah, I see. My fault.

No fault at all my post wasn't that clear.

I'm a strong proponent of gun control and I think the paper had every right to publish information on the permit holders--although it seemed a bit silly. And this latest story about the paper hiring armed guards is just funny. While I don't doubt that they have very real security concerns now it's pretty bad that they didn't see this coming.

I don't see that they have any business obtaining or disseminating the info of gun permit holders. I don't see how that is anyone's business. If I want someone to have my info I will give it to them. Just another stupid ass liberal newspaper trying to push their agenda!!

Archived