2013 4* LB James Hearns (Louisville signee)

ellitor

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got into Auburn in 2009 but didn't even apply to UF..wasn't even close to getting in there. A kid I know at FSU didn't get into UF w. a 3.9 and 1370 SAT.

I can only assume the1370 was on the new 2400 point scale...

Nah the old lol I don't think that started until c/o 2010 or '11

I thought it was around '05. If this was on the 1600 point scale (assuming it's true, which is quite the stretch in my mind), there MUST be extenuating circumstances.

No names, but I know of an individual who scored only slightly higher on the SAT (1460 on the 1600 point scale) with a 3.3 GPA and a 35 ACT, and this person was accepted to Dartmouth and Brown. He went to a less prestigious school for undergrad, in the end, for a full ride and fewer douchebags. There is no way in my mind UF turns down someone with those scores unless he/she is a felon or humped the dean of admissions dog while wearing a tutu and humming the theme song to Knight Rider.

I'm actually from Florida. My dad taught at Florida. My brother is a research microbiologist there now. I've had many friends and family go there. It is far and away the toughest school to get into in Florida. While I am surprised that someone with a 3.9 and 1370 did not get in, it would not surprise me at all if someone with a 4.0 and a 1200 (old scale) did not get in. Wouldn't surprise me because it happened to me. Academically, I don't think the school is any better than Auburn, but it is much harder to get accepted, hands down.

I got into Auburn in 2009 but didn't even apply to UF..wasn't even close to getting in there. A kid I know at FSU didn't get into UF w. a 3.9 and 1370 SAT.

I thought it was around '05. If this was on the 1600 point scale (assuming it's true, which is quite the stretch in my mind), there MUST be extenuating circumstances.

No names, but I know of an individual who scored only slightly higher on the SAT (1460 on the 1600 point scale) with a 3.3 GPA and a 35 ACT, and this person was accepted to Dartmouth and Brown. He went to a less prestigious school for undergrad, in the end, for a full ride and fewer douchebags. There is no way in my mind UF turns down someone with those scores unless he/she is a felon or humped the dean of admissions dog while wearing a tutu and humming the theme song to Knight Rider.

Great, now everyone knows why I didn't get into Florida :blink:

Maybe you should not have told the Dean's wife you were going to Tampa with her. >:D

Great, now everyone knows why I didn't get into Florida :blink:

:o

FL puts a huge priority on in-state students. It is very difficult to get into FL from out of state. An interesting aside is UGA on hte other hand (because of the Hope Scholly) has become very difficult for in-state students to get in to.

I'm actually from Florida. My dad taught at Florida. My brother is a research microbiologist there now. I've had many friends and family go there. It is far and away the toughest school to get into in Florida. While I am surprised that someone with a 3.9 and 1370 did not get in, it would not surprise me at all if someone with a 4.0 and a 1200 (old scale) did not get in. Wouldn't surprise me because it happened to me. Academically, I don't think the school is any better than Auburn, but it is much harder to get accepted, hands down.

Little advertised fact about UF admission. When their football team's doing well, applications shoot through the roof. In years when they're sucking like 2011 and Zook's tenure, they drop considerably. So if the 40% acceptance rate is during a good football year, those numbers are extremely skewed. another fact, when Spurrier success pumped $ into the school after 1990 UF's academics went from very, very average to arguably second best in the SEC (after Vandy of course). UF's still a party school and in a couple dozen fields of study it still can't touch Auburn.

He was definitely an outlier but well never know. I think he's enjoying himself here though now thy he's the rush chairman of Pike.

Little advertised fact about UF admission. When their football team's doing well, applications shoot through the roof. In years when they're sucking like 2011 and Zook's tenure, they drop considerably. So if the 40% acceptance rate is during a good football year, those numbers are extremely skewed. another fact, when Spurrier success pumped $ into the school after 1990 UF's academics went from very, very average to arguably second best in the SEC (after Vandy of course). UF's still a party school and in a couple dozen fields of study it still can't touch Auburn.

Fla. has a first rate AD and successful programs in major sports.

What an interesting business model; have success in athletics and bring more $$ in to improve core academic programs.

We ought ot look into that model.

What should our first step be ?

Fla. has a first rate AD and successful programs in major sports.

What an interesting business model; have success in athletics and bring more $$ in to improve core academic programs.

We ought ot look into that model.

What should our first step be ?

there are some "teed up" political rants here, but board rules wont allow me to expound!

Compare the populations of Florida and Alabama and consider the UF is the "state" university and AU is not the state university in Alabama....it's not surprising that UF would get many times more applications each year and thus have a higher level of rejections. I went to AU in the days when if you grdaduated from an accredited HS you were admitted. Considering my HS grades back then, I doubt I could get in under today's standards.

As for Mr. Hearns, I was a bit surprised by his nonchalant attitude about his academic problems. Did not seem to worried about it...which makes me wonder if that same attitude would carry over to college...just expecting that he could slip by because he was playing football.

As for UF's AD, not sure how long Foley has been there but they don't always get it right either...someone hired Charlie Pell and Zook and at one time they had the top baseball program in the SEC and it went south. Over time, all schools are up and down...make some lucky or good hires to offset the bad or unlucky hires they made...like at Bama...everyone thinks they are geniuses because of Saban and seem to forget 15 years of probation and Shula and Price and some other dog coaches they've had.

Political inappropriateness and hijacking on this board ? Shocking.

If you want to consider the facts below a rant, feel free, it is more an informative profile of one of our biggest rivals.

Florida has the advantage of being both the state land grant and the flagship university in a much wealthier state.

They also have the advantage of access to more research opportunities and dollars due to their being an AAU school

They have been AAU since mid 1980s.

As to their athletic leadership , Florida's AD, Jeremy Foley was hired in 1992 and hired both Donovan and Urban Myer who produced NCAA championships for Florida. . Quoting our friends @ Wikipedia:

UF 's "sports program has finished as the top-ranked overall program in the SEC in all but one year under his tenure. "

We make a lot of money in athletics they make a lot in all programs consistently for 22 or so years. They have a professional AD.

Just saying........

However, if Hearns has academic problems, neither of us will be a good fit.

Compare the populations of Florida and Alabama and consider the UF is the "state" university and AU is not the state university in Alabama....it's not surprising that UF would get many times more applications each year and thus have a higher level of rejections. I went to AU in the days when if you grdaduated from an accredited HS you were admitted. Considering my HS grades back then, I doubt I could get in under today's standards.

As for Mr. Hearns, I was a bit surprised by his nonchalant attitude about his academic problems. Did not seem to worried about it...which makes me wonder if that same attitude would carry over to college...just expecting that he could slip by because he was playing football.

As for UF's AD, not sure how long Foley has been there but they don't always get it right either...someone hired Charlie Pell and Zook and at one time they had the top baseball program in the SEC and it went south. Over time, all schools are up and down...make some lucky or good hires to offset the bad or unlucky hires they made...like at Bama...everyone thinks they are geniuses because of Saban and seem to forget 15 years of probation and Shula and Price and some other dog coaches they've had.

We (Floridaians) also have a program that pays a good bit of a student's tuition if that student kept a certain grade point average in H.S., which means a lot of top students stay in state instead of going to Ivy league schools and the like. It should be noted that in FL if one attains their AA degree at a state community college/JUCO they will be accepted to any state University. Sorry if this info was already posted.

We (Floridaians) also have a program that pays a good bit of a student's tuition if that student kept a certain grade point average in H.S., which means a lot of top students stay in state instead of going to Ivy league schools and the like. It should be noted that in FL if one attains their AA degree at a state community college/JUCO they will be accepted to any state University. Sorry if this info was already posted.

Yup bright futures is truly a blessing,

using it right now haha

This told to me by a friend, Florida grad and now a serious donor there. The University of Florida has something called a "Legacy program" by which a student that meets minimum qualifications is accpeted because one or both of his parents are UF grads. This uses up a lot of student numbers and raises the qualifications for the remaining slots to some very high levels. For instance, I had a nephew in Florida that could not get admitted to Gainsville but got a full academic ride to FSU.

NOW, the important part. Scholarship athletes do not have to meet the same qualifications, all they have to do is meet the NCAA minimum requirements. Auburn has a picky-picky admissions dept., UF may as well and Vandy insists on more, but by and large most SEC schools admit scholarship athletes based on the NCAA minimum requirements. Other students have to do better, in some cases much better, but the statement that Florida's admission standards are higher than Auburn's is not valid as it pertains to scholarship athletes.

Did that kid draw a picture of a gator for his application? Seriously, he/she did something wring if that's true because it would be basically impossible. UF is a great school but its not Texas, Virginia, Michigan, or Cal.

There are kids down here in FL that cannot get into UF that have great grades and SAT scores from HS and sometimes hard to transfer into there. Since the Bright Futures Scholly came out they are very selective in who they take.

Did that kid draw a picture of a gator for his application? Seriously, he/she did something wring if that's true because it would be basically impossible. UF is a great school but its not Texas, Virginia, Michigan, or Cal.

There are kids down here in FL that cannot get into UF that have great grades and SAT scores from HS and sometimes hard to transfer into there. Since the Bright Futures Scholly came out they are very selective in who they take.

Since 2008, Bright Futures has required EVERY state university in Florida (including UF) to accept EVERY student that gets a 3.0 and assocate degree from ANY state community college. CC's in FL have an incredible lobby. It's an utter joke why anybody would pay tuition to go to UF or FSU for their freshman year and this program uses up (actually has broadly expanded) the # of students bopping around UF's campus.

Archived