More Player Tweets and Pics About Workouts

Dr_AUTiger

I keep having flashbacks of the video of Garrett manhandling CAP in the tug-of-war drill.

And CAP doesn't appear to be lacking, just ask TJ Davis... :yes: .

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep having flashbacks of the video of Garrett manhandling CAP in the tug-of-war drill.

And CAP doesn't appear to be lacking, just ask TJ Davis... :yes: .

+1. Yeah, and I read he "seeks out contact". I have never heard that as a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking beach volleyball. He is saying it will be "good for the players" because those women wear very little clothing, and the court in the pic is adjacent to the football practice fields.

Good for the players, indeed. Not so good for the coaches who are trying to keep the players' attention on football.

Now that I have had a little fun, the link below gives you some examples of how this can be used. Thinking back to my time with involuntary, coach-driven workouts, I know I would have welcomed something different like this. You get tired of walking into the same room using the same weights and hearing the same voice shouting for a couple hours.

Its not the floor of a weight room and its not the same patch of grass you always run on, so I think it would be a welcome change.

https://www.google.com/search?q=football+sand+pit+workouts&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Forgive my ignorance, but what will this be used for?

Conditioning. This coming from an Auburn marine on another board. "Ive been punished by the sand in my day. A lot of combatives take place in the sand. Really helps your balance in throws and take downs. Sand will really help with balance, especially with OL and DL. Sand is well known for training."

Conditioning. This coming from an Auburn marine on another board. "Ive been punished by the sand in my day. A lot of combatives take place in the sand. Really helps your balance in throws and take downs. Sand will really help with balance, especially with OL and DL. Sand is well known for training."

As always, thank you E.

agility and plyometrics in sand really increases speed, power, explosiveness, and verticals. It is an unbelievable workout.

I'm a basketball guy. I've played with and against some amazing athletes in my time (some auburn b ball and football players that are well known are included in this) and I will say that out of ALL the guys I've played against two of the most explosive guys I've played one guy from Florida and one guy from California, both had background in volleyball. Both told me about conditioning and practicing in the sand. I don't think that's coincidence. I also noticed that guys who had a background in swimming were pretty athletic as well (I'll include myself in that, I started dunking in the 10th grade). I think doing many different exercise will really help increase athleticism. Also not to start the dumb fight again but this is also why I never understood when manyon here say as far as bench pressing you don't ever lift from your back.....that is so not smart to me. You don't have to rrepeatedly move your torso up and down with a weight but doing so increases your core while training and it helps you. You don't ever lay on your stomach and lift with your legs in a game but doing so increase strength and flexibility in your quads. You wiN ever have to balance yourself on one foot on a bubble while holding something a period of time, but doing so will once again increase core strength, coordination, endurance, and dexterity if you do.

I can't really say I know for sure one way or the other about bench pressing but I'm a logical thinker and my thought process is look at the programs that consistently produce high level athletes if a common exercise amongst them is the bench press then why even argue about it? And why stray away from it. If it's the other way and it turns out that other top programs don't do it why argue that way about it?

From the Article: "I don’t think anybody wanted to roll in the sand. Other than rolling and getting water sprayed on you ... normal sand pit was fine.”

Rolling won't help you in anyway except maybe toughening you up. That was just a punishment. But I assure you doing sprints and other drills in the sand pit once a week will benefit our players immensely.

Idk if it's still there, but we did a little work in the sand pit at Prattville about once a week, and...well result speak for themselves.

:wareagle:

Rolling in Sand with water being sprayed on you or you are already wet...instant "sugar cookies"....that sand gets everywhere...especially if you are running post becoming a "sugar cookie"....running in sand in boots just takes a toll on your legs...

Is it just me or does that sand area seem really small? What are they going to be doing in that tiny small area that's gong to make them more athletic? Maybe thats just a small section of it but if not it looks like it would present limited application to me.

Is it just me or does that sand area seem really small? What are they going to be doing in that tiny small area that's gong to make them more athletic? Maybe thats just a small section of it but if not it looks like it would present limited application to me.

I don't think the pic is a full shot of the sand area looking at the far left of the pic.

I don't think the pic is a full shot of the sand area looking at the far left of the pic.

I see. it would have to be bigger. I wish they had snapped the pic at an angle to present a view of the whole thing.

I see. it would have to be bigger. I wish they had snapped the pic at an angle to present a view of the whole thing.

Agreed.

A pit doesn't have to be very large with regards to surface area. Typically, they will only have 2-4 in the pit at a time. The biggest variable to how effective the workout is, is the depth of the sand. The deeper the sand, the more strength and energy it takes to complete the exercise.

A pit doesn't have to be very large with regards to surface area. Typically, they will only have 2-4 in the pit at a time. The biggest variable to how effective the workout is, is the depth of the sand. The deeper the sand, the more strength and energy it takes to complete the exercise.

Gotcha...that puts into a clearer perspective for me. Its not designed as an area that will be used by more than just a few at a time.

S&T plus the Sand work out will kick your butt....the lower body will be exhausted from it. Now imagine the lineman going up against each other in that pit...hitting and driving drills...calfs, quads, & hammies look out.... :big:

Auburn installed a sand pit the other day. Should be good for the players.

952088.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but what will this be used for?

Tomatoes...their chocked full of antioxidants!

Archived