More Player Tweets and Pics About Workouts

Dr_AUTiger

A mulligan?

100.gif

Now there's a thought,,,,,,Start over with a new beginning and beingt_underdogcopm_fb198a7.jpgThe Underdog we seem to excel in........

We will always be the underdog...WDE

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a bunch of complaining football players. Who cares how sore you are

I think this equates to a guy complaining about his boss/wife to his buds. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they aren't rebellious to the coaching staff I good with it.

With me being a health promotion and exercise sciences major, I care. These aren't complaints about the workouts themselves. These arent even complaints about being forced to workout. These are observations that our athletes are making about the change they're making in their bodies.

"DEAD LEGS IN THE SPRING MEANS NO DEAD LEGS IN THE 4TH QUARTER!"

They need to have military type training, like the ULM coach i believe? I learned quickly in basic you can push yourself to the limit, then further, then twice as much. We'd be sprinting the whole game! :)

With me being a health promotion and exercise sciences major, I care. These aren't complaints about the workouts themselves. These arent even complaints about being forced to workout. These are observations that our athletes are making about the change they're making in their bodies.

i dont know how it is taken any other way. :dunno:

Hearing the guys around campus they really like Coach Russell and hes doing a great job with them. Even keepin them in on nights cause they know they won't make it through workouts the next morning. Coach Yox was a great coach too, dont diss the man. The guys loved him and feared his workouts too.

Hearing the guys around campus they really like Coach Russell and hes doing a great job with them. Even keepin them in on nights cause they know they won't make it through workouts the next morning. Coach Yox was a great coach too, dont diss the man. The guys loved him and feared his workouts too.

you'll never see me disrespect Coach Yoxall. I've always defended him against the ones who wanted to lay last years failures at his feet. He was one of the best in his business and Auburn was lucky to have had him as long as they did. Last year's failures were too widespread to document in a single post but IMO he was unfairly criticized far too much.

Coach Russel sounds pretty good

He as trained by Kevin Yoxall...just sayin

He worked under Yoxall as a GA... He was not "trained" by him.

COMPLETELY different philosophies.

Anyone care to highlight some of the main differences in philosophies?

I can tell you he's into gaining bulk. More weight, less reps... Not going to focus on flexibility as much (theraband exercises).

And yes... He does focus on the bench press!

Ah..I see. So, he's a BIG bench press guy..is that it? Now that the bench press is back in, is it safe to say we'll never lose another game? The significance of that one drill has been blown so far out of proportion its absurd!

Ah..I see. So, he's a BIG bench press guy..is that it? Now that the bench press is back in, is it safe to say we'll never lose another game? The significance of that one drill has been blown so far out of proportion its absurd!

Nah... I'm just saying our players will at least "look" bigger and stronger... and we won't field a defense with 170 pound safeties... basically, we wont look like a JV squad going up against a NFL team!

Another thing I'm hoping for is, during warm-ups, our starting quarterback won't be rolling around in the endzone with a stupid rubber band trying to stretch, while the A. Murrays, the J. Manzeils, and the Z. Mettenbergers of the world are working on timing routes

Nah... I'm just saying our players will at least "look" bigger and stronger... and we won't field a defense with 170 pound safeties... basically, we wont look like a JV squad going up against a NFL team!

Another thing I'm hoping for is, during warm-ups, our starting quarterback won't be rolling around in the endzone with a stupid rubber band trying to stretch, while the A. Murrays, the J. Manzeils, and the Z. Mettenbergers of the world are working on timing routes

Ya know I never saw the Auburn team that looked so under-sized..never did. Ii saw a team get whipped pretty handily but I guarantee you weight training wouldn't have changed the outcome one way or the other by any meaningful margin. Auburn was not very good last year...forget about the weights. Not many teams in the SEC win with poor play from their QB. Auburn had arguably their worst QB play in 50 years...nevermind there simply weren't any big time players anywhere on the field for Auburn last year. The team had no heart and didn't look competitive. In not sure those issues are going to be remedied with the bench press..I only wish it was that simple to fix

I can tell you he's into gaining bulk. More weight, less reps... Not going to focus on flexibility as much (theraband exercises).

This bothers me a tad. I hope that this comment about flexibility is a fabrication. I know that all the super buff power lifting gym rats in here will disagree but "lack of flexibility" is counter productive for using ones strength on the field.

This bothers me a tad. I hope that this comment about flexibility is a fabrication. I know that all

the super buff power lifting gym rats in here will disagree but "lack of flexibility" is counter productive for using ones strength on the field.

I'm not saying the players won't be flexible, I'm just saying, expect to see some vast improvements in size and speed. That's what Russell was brought here to do...

you'll never see me disrespect Coach Yoxall. I've always defended him against the ones who wanted to lay last years failures at his feet. He was one of the best in his business and Auburn was lucky to have had him as long as they did. Last year's failures were too widespread to document in a single post but IMO he was unfairly criticized far too much.

Yes. No one was complaining about him when we were pushing people around in 2004. When the head coach quits doing his job there is not much the S&C coach can do.

Yes. No one was complaining about him when we were pushing people around in 2004. When the head coach quits doing his job there is not much the S&C coach can do.

Good point. I haven't seen anything that suggests he changed his philosophy since then.

I'm not saying the players won't be flexible, I'm just saying, expect to see some vast improvements in size and speed. That's what Russell was brought here to do...

I have no reason at all to doubt Russell.

There should be a very noticeable difference in strength because of the "boys to men" factor. Great for Russell and great for Auburn. This is the area that I hope Russell improves on the most and I feel that he will.

S&C coaches have very little impact on improving a players speed. Yes, they need to continue to make gains in speed but don't expect players to start shaving seconds off their times just because of a S&C coach. Our offense will appear faster just because of Malzahn. Team speed on defense will rest on the defensive coaches shoulders. We have to get the new system in place, the players have to accept it with open arms and learn it during the off season, and finally it has to become instinct. We have some very good football players on our roster. Can't wait to see them get back to playing football at full speed and loving it.

SIZE??? I am curious to see how Gus' overall scheme will impact this area. Will our offensive line appear bigger? Will our defensive players appear bigger? In 2009 and 2010 Yox and staff spent alot of effort on overall endurance. In 2010 it was very noticeable. We were in better "shape" than most of the SEC and was tit for tat with Oregon. (oregon being known for their conditioning) Just by using the eyeball test on our young offensive lineman I can't say that we are big and fat. Most if not all of our O-line carry their weight very well. Even with this being said I can see our offensive line average weight maintaining or possibly dropping a tiny bit.

Anyone care to discuss their thoughts on "size" under Gus' system?

Archived