1993 Auburn Tigers

WarEagle1982

I was looking through some old stuff the other day and came across some magazines (one of them being the Sports Illustrated with Ace Atkins on the front) and videos I have on the 93 team. I was like, " Has it really been 20 years?" That was one of the best falls ever even though they were not on t.v. I was recently sitting next to Patrick Nix at a coaching clinic, and it took me back to the exact place where I was huddled around that little radio when he threw the 4th down touchdown to Frank Sanders to spark the comeback in the Iron Bowl. Great memories!

• Like 2

While that was truly a great team, my first orange and blue love was the one from a decade earlier. I started school on the plains as a seventeen year old babe that fall. Finished the season fishing my brother out of Orleans Parish central lockup after the 9-7 win at the Sugar Bowl. Shoulda' won the MNC that year also.

Got it. The only year I had season tickets other than as a student. The UF and bama games were the absolute shiznit.

The loudest I have ever heard JHS was when Calvin Jackson returned a 95 yard interception against UF. I was 12 at the time. It was overcast and a little drizzly, but that place was full and loud. Can't wait for JHS to be rockin' again very soon.

The thing about Ace Atkins was that game with those two big hits were the highlight of his career. He was a backup player that saw very little action. I want to say one of the DEs was hurt for that game, and that would be why he saw action. It was either Willie Whitehead or Alonzo Etheridge's. I want to say that Ace Atkins is an author now. He was profiled in the Sports Illustrated that commemorated the 2010 season.

The thing about Ace Atkins was that game with those two big hits were the highlight of his career. He was a backup player that saw very little action. I want to say one of the DEs was hurt for that game, and that would be why he saw action. It was either Willie Whitehead or Alonzo Etheridge's. I want to say that Ace Atkins is an author now. He was profiled in the Sports Illustrated that commemorated the 2010 season.

Thanks for sharing this WE1982. That is where I believe we will be returning very soon as well. Guys were ready to play! Those are some of my favorite players.

[quote name=Gibson SG'

timestamp='1363006814' post='1825359]

Got it. The only year I had season tickets other than as a student. The UF and bama games were the absolute shiznit.

The loudest I have ever heard JHS was when Calvin Jackson returned a 95 yard interception against UF. I was 12 at the time. It was overcast and a little drizzly, but that place was full and loud. Can't wait for JHS to be rockin' again very soon.

He ran right by us on the way to the end zone. It was pandemonium. Good times.

That was on my 11th birthday... JHS was a nice place to spend it! Especially, beating dem GAYtors!

I agree about the Calvin Jackson statement. I've used that several times when describing the loudest I've heard JHS. I was screaming like a 9 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert after that. Of course I was a 19 year old Sophomore at the time so I probably looked a tad silly. :)

My wife I made every game that year. It was a great year of no expectations or TV. You could either go the games or as Jim would say watch them on the radio. The road game on Oct 30 to play Arkansas in Fayetteville was very cold and snowing. One of the coldest October games I have ever attended. Now when we go to games and it is cold we always say "at least it is not Arkansas cold" and trooper thru the weather.

I agree about the Calvin Jackson statement. I've used that several times when describing the loudest I've heard JHS. I was screaming like a 9 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert after that. Of course I was a 19 year old Sophomore at the time so I probably looked a tad silly. :)

On that day I had 5 work collegues from Boston there for the game with another AU Grad, they had never been to JHS- the automosphere was so electric is was incrediible, we were sitting right behind the FL bench when Calvin returned that interception and was right in front of the pass interference call that set up the winning field goal. Needless to say they were AU fans forever, had to go the Oaks for the rolling, and to the bookstore for even more AU gear - sadly 2 were killed some 3 years later in a car accident but at their funeral I made sure there were orange & blue arrangement.

what a day - Boston folks tailgating, loving life and living the dream on a great AU saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Fyffe's radio call of the Calvin Jackson interception was one of the greatest calls he ever made! I will never forget listening to him on the radio that entire season.

Dixie, I totally agree with you that those were also some of my favorite players. Stan White, Patrick Nix, Reid McMillon, Tony Richardson, James Bostic, Andy Fuller, Frank Sanders, Thomas Bailey, Chris Shelling, Otis Mounds, Brian Robinson, Jason Miska, and, one of my favorites ever, Anthony Harris just to name a few. That was a bunch of hard-nosed guys!

• Love 1

Ace is an author now; he has several books out that are very good. Reminds me a lot of Elmore Leonard. Check him out. I have 2-3 of them.

Auburn beat one of Spurrier's best UF teams that year and several other very good teams to go undefeated but what I remember clear as a bell is Auburn fans (being Auburn fans, always children of the excessively humble Shug Jordan) after the season were pretty much like "we don't need to play for the national title with this over-accomplishing team anyway, we'd get killed". Bleacher Report calls the 1993 Auburn team "the best team money could buy". Are they owned by BSPN?

Several of those guys on that team, especially the ones from Dillard High in Florida like Otis Mounds, were guys Pat Dye actually took a chance on by bringing them to Auburn. They had a very checkered past, and had run ins with the law. Jason Miska had 3 options: Auburn to play football, military, or prison. To say those guys were bought is kind of out there because I don't know that anyone else wanted them.

That play totally flipped the script of the game...Florida was already ahead 10-0 and if they would have scored on that drive, I'm not totally sure we would have come back from down 17-0...CJ's pick 6 made it 10-7 and it was game on from there.

That team eked out a number of tight games...a lot of people forget about this one because it was earlier in the season, but there was a critical 4th quarter goal-line stand against Vanderbilt in a 14-10 win. They didn't dominate too many teams, but they made winning plays when they had to be made.

I remember the Vandy game. Thursday night I believe? The Frisco Chicken sandwich I had from Hardee's sat like a rock the entire game! AU should have dominated that game....

Dell McGhee's interception in the Iron Bowl followed by Bostic's 73 yard run and Jim Fyffe screaming the whole way!! ANd his chant after the game: "11 & O, 11 & 0, 11 & 0"

100.gifAs great as the UF and bama games were, somehow it's the Arkansas game on a brutal cold day where Reid McMillan ran 'hog' wild that sticks in my memory most..eagle.gif

That play totally flipped the script of the game...Florida was already ahead 10-0 and if they would have scored on that drive, I'm not totally sure we would have come back from down 17-0...CJ's pick 6 made it 10-7 and it was game on from there.

That team eked out a number of tight games...a lot of people forget about this one because it was earlier in the season, but there was a critical 4th quarter goal-line stand against Vanderbilt in a 14-10 win. They didn't dominate too many teams, but they made winning plays when they had to be made.

Yep, good call. I was that game. It was in Nashville and my roommates and I hit a couple of, um, "gentlemens establishments" downtown after the game. :) I remember watchin Miska going absolutely Mike Singletary bonkers crazy pre-snap on the final goal line stand play. That kind of intensity is a sight to behold. Good times.