Tubby Smith

arein0

Tubby seems to be a good guy but he always seems to disappoint after a while.

No.

He underachieved at UK and never really quit lived up to his reputation at Minn.

It would be more of the same.

That's true for almost all BCS coaches anyway.

What Tubby does have is a record of rebuilding ailing programs and making NCAA tourney appearances.

That said. Barbee is our coach and will continue to be our coach, and I'll be pulling for him to turn the ship around this next season.

Take away any Tubby team that Rick Pitino had anything to do with and Tubby still has a great career. Comparing Barbee to Tubby Smith in any way would be a losing proposition. JMO.

I'll put this same answer into the 3rdtopic!!

Tubby has nearly a 70% career winning %. In the past 20 years, he has 19 seasons with 20+ wins. Been to the NCAAs 17 times and the NIT 2. A National Championship, multiple Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, only 1 season in his career with a sub-500 record.

No.

He underachieved at UK and never really quit lived up to his reputation at Minn.

It would be more of the same.

True. Who wants to go to the NCAA tournament on a regular basis?

The thing we wouldn't need a coach for life. What Tubby does have is a record of rebuilding ailing programs and making NCAA tourney appearances .

That said. Barbee is our coach and will continue to be our coach, and I'll be pulling for him to turn the ship around this next season.

Tubby ain't gonna turn AU around in three years ....which is what people will probably give him....because he would spend his first three years just trying to replace all the current players and commitments that will be long gone if TB is fired. My view is to give TB at least one more year to develop his freshmen and incoming commits.

The thing we wouldn't need a coach for life. What Tubby does have is a record of rebuilding ailing programs and making NCAA tourney appearances .

Tubby ain't gonna turn AU around in three years ....which is what people will probably give him....because he would spend his first three years just trying to replace all the current players and commitments that will be long gone if TB is fired. My view is to give TB at least one more year to develop his freshmen and incoming commits.

I agree. Barbee has to actually keep guys on the team before he can develop them though.

Tubby will be 62 years old in a couple of months. He probably has a few good seasons left but if I were him I'd retire after what he's been through and achieved.

Tubby will be 62 years old in a couple of months. He probably has a few good seasons left but if I were him I'd retire after what he's been through and achieved.

Generally I would agree but there is something that gets in the blood of these big-time football and basketball coaches and not many of them voluntarily retire in their 60s. Tubby has plenty of career ahead of him...IF he wants to continue coaching. I would think he will have some good opportunities at some places where they are just a player or two away from being NCAA bound.

We would be lucky to have a person with the character and the skill of Tubby Smith to run our basketball program. He would actually be a great fit for Auburn, a true team player who would support all sports and represent the University exceedingly well.

We wont get Tubby Smith.. Barbee is our coach now and he won't be fired for a season or 2 even if this keeps up.

We lost waaay too many games but on the other hand we were in most of them until the end and just lacked firepower. Obviously he's accountable for his recruiting mistakes but I can't fault him about Lebo's guys who left without even giving it an honest chance under him. TB will and should get one more year at least to see what his recruits can do with a year of experience.

Just wonder what the problem was in late January. Team seemed to be improving. Tied with the black bears with seconds to go at home. The wheels fell off afterwards.

Generally I would agree but there is something that gets in the blood of these big-time football and basketball coaches and not many of them voluntarily retire in their 60s. Tubby has plenty of career ahead of him...IF he wants to continue coaching. I would think he will have some good opportunities at some places where they are just a player or two away from being NCAA bound.

I could see him coming to some place like Auburn and trying to fix things up to cap off his career. it would bring him back to the SEC where he coached for UK and UGA. Not sure how he would feel about going up against his old school UK twice each year. I suspect he would get a decent welcome back in Lexington.

At least he's not like Pitino and returned to UK's rival Louisville and then fooled around with the UL equipment manager's girlfriend/ wife in a restaurant...

Just wonder what the problem was in late January. Team seemed to be improving. Tied with the black bears with seconds to go at home. The wheels fell off afterwards.

Just my opinion....."selfish play" and not a single reliable shooter. After the first loss to Ole Miss, they did beat Bama and played some other teams tough but IMO, the two issues I mentioned doomed the team. Despite sitting players and pulling them for boneheaded play, TB never got his message across to some key players.

Just my opinion....."selfish play" and not a single reliable shooter. After the first loss to Ole Miss, they did beat Bama and played some other teams tough but IMO, the two issues I mentioned doomed the team. Despite sitting players and pulling them for boneheaded play, TB never got his message across to some key players.

"Not a single reliable shooter"? Noel Johnson hit 11 three point baskets in a row at one point. As a sophomore, Frankie shot 37% from the field and 85% from the free throw line. This year, he was down to 27% and 79%. When our top players underperform in football, we really give it to our coaches. When they underperform in basketball, we blame the players.

"Not a single reliable shooter"? Noel Johnson hit 11 three point baskets in a row at one point. As a sophomore, Frankie shot 37% from the field and 85% from the free throw line. This year, he was down to 27% and 79%. When our top players underperform in football, we really give it to our coaches. When they underperform in basketball, we blame the players.

First,....football and basketball are different games though people are just as quick to blame the QB, the punter, a certain LB and a few others when they don't live up to expectations. As for NJ, "at one point" is the operative phrase because he hit about 20% afterward. Otherwise, I can't explain why FS's shooting proficiency dropped but from the games I watched, he took a lot of "low probability" shots. I mean, 37% won't get it done from the guy who is going to take most of the shots during a game....particularly when a game is on the line. Everyone might not agree, but IMO, shooting proficiency is mostly on the players. You can question my premise if you wish, but as for shooting, etc. the stats don't lie.

Freshman Jordan Price was the player that made 11 consecutive 3's.

Freshman Jordan Price was the player that made 11 consecutive 3's.

You are right...my fault for not catching that....and he just never got the shooting touch back after breaking his foot. Hoping for better things next year....he was only a freshman and has some good years ahead.

I'll put this same answer into the 3rdtopic!!

Tubby has nearly a 70% career winning %. In the past 20 years, he has 19 seasons with 20+ wins. Been to the NCAAs 17 times and the NIT 2. A National Championship, multiple Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, only 1 season in his career with a sub-500 record.

Great stats. I am all for getting Tubby if Barbee is let go. He will end up somewhere, why not at AU. With a resume like that, I think he could get us turned around.

Archived