Jerome Seagears

jwmboom7

I heard that his visit went absolutely perfect, and that we have a really, really, good chance. If we can get him, then he will give us a HUGE boost. It also means we will not be relying on a true freshmen trying to run our O. I have also heard talk about the NCAA allowing all Rutgers players to not have to sit out a year. Cross your fingers

I heard that his visit went absolutely perfect, and that we have a really, really, good chance. If we can get him, then he will give us a HUGE boost. It also means we will not be relying on a true freshmen trying to run our O. I have also heard talk about the NCAA allowing all Rutgers players to not have to sit out a year. Cross your fingers

I think the only place there's been talk of Rutgers players not having to sit out a year is on message boards by wishful-thinking fans of other teams. There is no rule that lets transfers play immediately because their coach was fired.

The Penn State situation was different because the team was put on probation. There is no probation at Rutgers. Maybe Denson can play PG while the freshman learns the ropes and the next group of transfers sits on the bench waiting for their year to pass.

I think the only place there's been talk of Rutgers players not having to sit out a year is on message boards by wishful-thinking fans of other teams. There is no rule that lets transfers play immediately because their coach was fired.

The Penn State situation was different because the team was put on probation. There is no probation at Rutgers. Maybe Denson can play PG while the freshman learns the ropes and the next group of transfers sits on the bench waiting for their year to pass.

No, there is an actual chance he doesn't have to sit out. It is not just message board talk. And if he signs with Auburn, he will be the only transfer coming in.."transfers" is incorrect.

No, there is an actual chance he doesn't have to sit out. It is not just message board talk. And if he signs with Auburn, he will be the only transfer coming in.."transfers" is incorrect.

Do you have a link to a reputable site explaining why the NCAA is considering waiving the transfer rule? I've heard the wishful thinking but have not heard one sentence of solid information.

I guess "transfers" was overstating it a bit. It's just that after Verez Ward, Noel Johnson and maybe another one or two I'm not expecting any help from a transfer.

Mikey...check this. As you note, the right to play immediately is not assured. http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/any_rutgers_basketall_players.html

Thanks for the link. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Unless an individual player files for hardship and is moving home to be near a dying relative a waiver is unlikely.

Still, point guard has got to be in good hands, right? Brian Greene Jr. was recruited last year to be the answer at that position. (ok, that's almost 50% joke. Greene looks like he has potential but I didn't see the "point guard" he was alleged to be.)

IMO AU is in desperate need for a good PG. Just about every team making it to the big dance last year had a better than average PG....you just have to have the ball handling and cool head against the current defensive style. SO....... Maybe we could move his mom to Auburn and give her a job housesitting one of our former coach's house .....and then JS could apply for a transfer to be near home. Seems I have heard of something like that at other schools.

I'm kind of surprised this thread is so heavy on the doom and gloom. This kid looks like a pretty solid PG, which is something we need. I am always in favor of a talented kid being seriously interested in AU. Glad to hear his visit went well. I think we lucked out with his visit being on A-Day. It was truely a great day to be in Auburn.

According to the link, he was planning to transfer even before the coach firing. Certainly this situation is different but now that the bad apple coach is gone, why not stick with his commitment to Rutgers?

We haven't had much luck with transfers. Noel Johnson was the best I can recall and in spite of all the hype he never cracked the starting lineup.

According to the link, he was planning to transfer even before the coach firing. Certainly this situation is different but now that the bad apple coach is gone, why not stick with his commitment to Rutgers?

We haven't had much luck with transfers. Noel Johnson was the best I can recall and in spite of all the hype he never cracked the starting lineup.

Probably planning to transfer before coach was fired b/c coach was humming fastballs at his head at practice....might've left a bad taste in his mouth overall.

I'm kind of surprised this thread is so heavy on the doom and gloom. This kid looks like a pretty solid PG, which is something we need. I am always in favor of a talented kid being seriously interested in AU. Glad to hear his visit went well. I think we lucked out with his visit being on A-Day. It was truely a great day to be in Auburn.

Yeah, you would think people would talk about the thread title and the possibility of getting the extremely talented kid instead of being negative and talk about all of the deficiencies of the rest of our team

• 2 weeks later...

Very proud of this pickup by Coach Barbee and Coach Miller. I think Jerome could be a solid PG that can handle the ball and provide a decent scoring threat at the position. I also think it was big of AU Basketball to pull down Seagears, who was being recruited by other serious programs. War Eagle and welcome to the plains!

Probably planning to transfer before coach was fired b/c coach was humming fastballs at his head at practice....might've left a bad taste in his mouth overall.

well however bad some of these players obviously think barbee is (see massive amounts of defections) at least barbee isnt heaving fastballs at the players temples like the (former) rutgers coach. i'd say the coach pummeling his players with the knowledge of the AD might give a student athlete a bad taste for that school. hope he can survive the barbee verbal barrage ...

Archived