Brian Greene Jr transferring

jared52

You consider Auburn big-time basketball right now?

Face it, Greene was a late signee... a roster filler. He's not a shooter, he doesn't have the speed or ball skills to run the point, and he's too short to be a slasher and play at the rim... He's a Sun-Belt, OVC type athlete... and that's ok!

Seagears is the true point that we desperately need.

I think bills was saying we don't have any big time players period.

That could be true but in anything, Seagears is an upgrade ....if only a baby step.

Actually, I thought he was implying Auburn was based on his comment about Greene not cutting it here and having to go elsewhere.

and yes, the only one i have seen...and I am not an NBA talent scout...that is ready for prime time is Shaq...if he doesn't transfer out too.

The bottom line comment from me related not to the skills of Greene or Seagears....and it remains to be seen whether he is an upgrade or not coming from Rutgers which certainly is not big time basketball, where he struggled last year....but rather the lack of developing the kids he recruits. they leave for whatever reason..and we start over every year for the most part.And I hope Seagears does turn out to be the PG we need and that the freshman coming in will develop also...we can only hope.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You consider Auburn big-time basketball right now?

Face it, Greene was a late signee... a roster filler. He's not a shooter, he doesn't have the speed or ball skills to run the point, and he's too short to be a slasher and play at the rim... He's a Sun-Belt, OVC type athlete... and that's ok!

Seagears is the true point that we desperately need.

I think bills was saying we don't have any big time players period.

That could be true but in anything, Seagears is an upgrade ....if only a baby step.

Actually, I thought he was implying Auburn was based on his comment about Greene not cutting it here and having to go elsewhere.

and yes, the only one i have seen...and I am not an NBA talent scout...that is ready for prime time is Shaq...if he doesn't transfer out too.

The bottom line comment from me related not to the skills of Greene or Seagears....and it remains to be seen whether he is an upgrade or not coming from Rutgers which certainly is not big time basketball, where he struggled last year....but rather the lack of developing the kids he recruits. they leave for whatever reason..and we start over every year for the most part.And I hope Seagears does turn out to be the PG we need and that the freshman coming in will develop also...we can only hope.

Boy, I have to disagree with that statement. Rutgers might have had a bad year but they are in the Big East which is light years ahead of SEC in basketball. He's played PG in a very tough league where defense is emphasized. He should be fine in the SEC...big question is whether he will be eligible this season.

The writing was on the wall for BG Jr when he didn't show that he could play PG in the SEC. He was recruited to fill the PG gap left by Varez Ward very late in the cycle. Barbee likes his wings to be at least 6'4 for defensive reasons and at 6'2 he didn't fit into Barbee's plan moving forward. I wish him the best but the bottom line is that we needed his slot for a PG.

If we needed Greene's slot for a point guard, why did Barbee go and sign a PG that will probably have to sit out a year? I was thinking the all-world (3*) PG out of the Atlanta area was going to save the program?

If we needed Greene's slot for a point guard, why did Barbee go and sign a PG that will probably have to sit out a year? I was thinking the all-world (3*) PG out of the Atlanta area was going to save the program?

I think I read he is going to apply for some kind of waiver..but no guarantee he will get it...your point is well taken and I am with you on it. Some keep focusing on the individuals, instead of the big picture during his tenure.

this used to be a site where we could come discuss sports without talking down our players....

Because we needed another PG regardless and he feels there is a better than average chance the waiver will be granted. Why keep a player for another year when you already know he doesn't fit your system instead of giving him a release so he can go about finding a place where he does fit?

I think I read he is going to apply for some kind of waiver..but no guarantee he will get it...your point is well taken and I am with you on it. Some keep focusing on the individuals, instead of the big picture during his tenure.

this used to be a site where we could come discuss sports without talking down our players....

I hope you aren't talking about me trashing our players. I like BG Jr and think he can play at this level in a different system and I have never said anything even remotely negative about him other than he isn't a PG.

Again, YOU are the one saying he'll probably have to sit out...several others are saying he could get a waiver. Optimism vs. pessimism. War Eagle.....

I hope you aren't talking about me trashing our players. I like BG Jr and think he can play at this level in a different system and I have never said anything even remotely negative about him other than he isn't a PG.

Nah, it was a general observation...and not limited to this thread or basketball...the demeanor of the forum is just not what it used to be. Maybe the "losing seasons" in multiple sports recently has sometihng to do with it. I just think if someone leaves for whatever reason, it is best to wish them well and let it go at that...not treat them like we criticize the bammers for doing with theirs. the coaches on the other hand....they get paid to produce...and are therefore subject to criticism IMO. I just hope we can put better products on the fields and courts next season.

Nah, it was a general observation...and not limited to this thread or basketball...the demeanor of the forum is just not what it used to be. Maybe the "losing seasons" in multiple sports recently has sometihng to do with it. I just think if someone leaves for whatever reason, it is best to wish them well and let it go at that...not treat them like we criticize the bammers for doing with theirs. the coaches on the other hand....they get paid to produce...and are therefore subject to criticism IMO. I just hope we can put better products on the fields and courts next season.

I don't think this started off as criticism of BG but as a few people started piling on TB and blaming him for letting this guy "get away"....a number of people, including me, felt it necessary to point out that there was more than one view on the matter....and we noted BG's shortcomings as compared to the needs of the team....which of course is mostly opinion. All these guys are high profile as student-athletes and while technically they are amateurs, they in fact receive benefits of +/- $40K each year in scholarships support and if they are not fulfilling expectations, there is no point in having them take up the scarce scholarship openings. The comments sound personal, but again JMO, the players are no more immune from criticism than are the coaches....but it should be civil in the case of both.

Ok, so are we to now believe that of the six guys Barbee signed last year three don't fit his system? A coach getting paid over a $ million a year can't look at a prospect and tell if the guy will fit his system or not? Must be a helluva complicated system when 50% of the players the coach signs turn out to not fit it and said coach can't tell they don't fit until a year later.

I'm sorry, until some proof shows up, the thing that makes the most sense is that these guys are jumping ship and Barbee is being forced to scramble to find warm body replacements.

(Ok, yes, the one guy cut out in November so he didn't really hang around a full year)

Not putting the kid down because he is a very good athlete. But I was not as excited as most of you when BG signed with AU. Seems a step slow for the point, not a good enough shooter for the 2 and too short for the 3. Again this opinion is based on our level of competition. I think Brian could dominate at a lesser level. Sometimes it seems CTB gets desperate for a need and grabs the best available for a trial run. We can process later if it doesn't work out. In the long run I'm not sure that is best for the program. But maybe that is the way College Basketball is headed. We old-schoolers may need to get real.

I understand the frustration Mikey, and I agree with most of it. All I'm saying is, as long as Tony Barbee is our coach, he has my full support. I stood by Tubs and Chizik until they left, an I'll do it for Barbee. Just like you, I want AU to produce winning teams we can be proud of...War Eagle!

Tuberville and Chizik earned our support by accomplishing things at Auburn. I supported them until the end as well. Barbee and Pawloski, however, have accomplished nothing. I do think Barbee deserves another year as next season will be only his forth, but he keeps on losing players so don't really expect improvement. But he should get a fourth year.

Palowski, however, is finishing his fifth year. I vote against a sixth!

Tuberville and Chizik earned our support by accomplishing things at Auburn. I supported them until the end as well. Barbee and Pawloski, however, have accomplished nothing. I do think Barbee deserves another year as next season will be only his forth, but he keeps on losing players so don't really expect improvement. But he should get a fourth year.

That was my reasoning for retaining Chizik for another year when he should have been on the hottest of hot seats, it's not like he did nothing while at Auburn. Killed my chances of being on the BOT too. :rolleyes:

The replacements arrived on campus today. Seagears and TSD (Deen) both here so looks like the PG slot has some competition...with real PGs and not some conversion projects. Welcome to AU and hope you are able to build a career here 'cause we really need the help.

The replacements arrived on campus today. Seagears and TSD (Deen) both here so looks like the PG slot has some competition...with real PGs and not some conversion projects. Welcome to AU and hope you are able to build a career here 'cause we really need the help.

Do ya'll think the Rutgers kid can play next year? Lots of coaches get fired every year, some for doing some stupid stuff, what the Rutgers coach did was not criminal(borderline). So I do not see the NCAA giving him the exception. I am hoping I am wrong.

Do ya'll think the Rutgers kid can play next year? Lots of coaches get fired every year, some for doing some stupid stuff, what the Rutgers coach did was not criminal(borderline). So I do not see the NCAA giving him the exception. I am hoping I am wrong.

I guess there is a chance........NCAA might treat this like PSU where school administration was tainted and they let everyone leave with no strings attached. Since this involved physical abuse which was covered up by the Head Coach and the AD it's possible they will be more lenient. Does anyone know when they might make a decision one way or the other?

Ive have tried to distance my self from Mikey (even though we get compared), but this is nothing but the truth. Except I would have gotten rid of Barbee last year. This will be a telling year. But complaining about AU coaches is like staring at the sun and complaining your eyes hurt. It doesnt matter. When you have an AD like JJ, it is a time to just hold what you got and ride this out. Oh, and a president like gogue that encourages mediocrity in things he does not care about (and is the biggest money maker for the school)

I guess there is a chance........NCAA might treat this like PSU where school administration was tainted and they let everyone leave with no strings attached. Since this involved physical abuse which was covered up by the Head Coach and the AD it's possible they will be more lenient. Does anyone know when they might make a decision one way or the other?

I agree...the physical abuse (which seems kind of silly to me since I had coaches in high school do just as bad, if not worse) and the cover up by the administration might be the kicker here. I have no idea what the NCAA might think about a waiver, but apparently the folks at AU feel good about it, so we'll see.

Also, I see what Mikey is saying, but I've never made an AU coach "earn" my support. As long as Paws and Barbee are the head guys for AU sports, I will support them and hope they can get to a point where they can win consistently.

Archived