Brian Greene Jr transferring

jared52

OK ... people keep making the claim that barbee does not develop players. now, due to simple attrition, it is obvious he isnt developing ALL of his players, but some players have developed under him and could be considered much better during the years with barbee at the helm. I am sure some of you will throw out stats as to why I am wrong ... I am simply going off the my impression of development of guys who WANT to develop.

BTW, folks keep faulting barbee for these kids leaving ... the kids agreed to come play for barbee and the type of guy he is. you could argue that some of these guys did not keep their side of the bargain.

back to the players...

is denson better this year than previous?

did ADT improve as the year went this year and show some athleticism?

you can argue about chubb's overall talent, but you cannot deny the fact that the guy worked his arse off each and every year he was an auburn tiger and was far better this year than in the past.

shaq johnson started to develop a game that went beyond dunking and pure athleticism as a true frosh.

gabriel, last year, was discussed (a tiny amount) about being a draftee - which is solid for an auburn player - he was not talked about in those terms before his final year.

walkon josh wallace progressed the last 2 years and became servicable (lets forget the fact that he apparently had a physical ailment that prevented him from taking a shot that was not a layup/runner)

i will admit that kids like kouassi (who i personally thought would be the kid that lead auburn to the next level) was unfortunately not developed.

i think barbee ruined sullivan this last year - i think barbee demanded sullivan to take such an enormous leadership role at the beginning of the year that he tried way, way to hard and it caused him to implode - i put that on barbee's miscalculation of what sully could handle.

anyways, my point is barbee has not failed to develope ANY players as strangers to this board might surmise from some posts. yes, he does have to do a better job of develping MORE players, since he is starting with talent that is not as high as the average SEC team. IMO, barbee has to produce this coming year or he should resign - not force us to fire him - if he fails again. i hate the recruit turnover. i hate the losses.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the positive thing to take from this is that when Barbee is fired next season the team (or group of guys who currently where Auburn jerseys) will handle all that turnover quite well!

I have a question for someone though.... How are we not on probation because of all this turnover? I thought there was a requirement where a certain percentage of players you sign have to graduate or am i completely off base on that?

SIGH....i miss Lebo lol!

You're right, we may never know on Greene....but he played a minimal role on the worst team in the worst big time conference and was outperformed all season by a short, walk-on. His only other SEC offer was from Ole Miss.

I disagree on Ross "really bulking up", he's always been pretty stout...Ross played at 6-5, 215 or so at AU and played at 6-5, 222 last yr at Mizzou. Rob Chubb got bigger each and every year he was at AU (unfortunately he was not very good at basketball). Nobody pushed Frankie around, Denson can hold his own when he's healthy, nobody pushed Shaq around on either end of the court. ADT could use some bulk, but he pushed back every time he was challenged.

I agree with you on Barbee though...the trend has been frustrating. If he wins 20 games this year (which, given the trend, will be AMAZING...albeit unlikely) his job will be safe and we'll see where he goes. If he loses this year, or experiences another exodus...I reckon we'll hire Bruce Pearl.

I did not check Ross' stats...he just looked a lot more "buff" to me at Missouri than he did at Auburn...very cut. I don't think he added the 7 lbs running up and down the court. That said while at Auburn, I liked his stoutness.

He had probably the worst hands in basketball, but you could rarely argue with Chubb's effort.

Reasons why it is unwise to give a golden parachute. Barbee must know that this is his last year if the team does not show an immediate improvement. He can pillage as much as he wants and if it works, he stays; if not, then the multi-million dollar handshake on his way out the door. This happens in the business world all of the time; pay a guy a bundle to come in, he royally screws up the organization and gets rich doing so.

Well the positive thing to take from this is that when Barbee is fired next season the team (or group of guys who currently where Auburn jerseys) will handle all that turnover quite well!

I have a question for someone though.... How are we not on probation because of all this turnover? I thought there was a requirement where a certain percentage of players you sign have to graduate or am i completely off base on that?

SIGH....i miss Lebo lol!

I could be wrong, but I think the rule is that as long as the players are in good academic standing when they leave, then there is no issue. If players are flunking out and then transferring to other schools, then AU has a problem.

You're right, we may never know on Greene....but he played a minimal role on the worst team in the worst big time conference and was outperformed all season by a short, walk-on. His only other SEC offer was from Ole Miss.

I disagree on Ross "really bulking up", he's always been pretty stout...Ross played at 6-5, 215 or so at AU and played at 6-5, 222 last yr at Mizzou. Rob Chubb got bigger each and every year he was at AU (unfortunately he was not very good at basketball). Nobody pushed Frankie around, Denson can hold his own when he's healthy, nobody pushed Shaq around on either end of the court. ADT could use some bulk, but he pushed back every time he was challenged.

I agree with you on Barbee though...the trend has been frustrating. If he wins 20 games this year (which, given the trend, will be AMAZING...albeit unlikely) his job will be safe and we'll see where he goes. If he loses this year, or experiences another exodus...I reckon we'll hire Bruce Pearl.

He's a freshman! They all aren't Magic Johnson their freshman year. Lets be real. Mamadou would have been processed if you didn't perform your freshman year is the criteria and he was a first round draft choice in the NBA. Bryant Smith would have been gone and so would Scott Poulman by your analysis.

What do you tell a recruits mama. "Yes Mrs. Smith I'll take good care of your son so long as he helps beat Kentucky and Florida and I can't find somebody I think is better. If I do I'll send him back home and he can get a job in the local Kroeger. I promise I'll get him a good reference".

This is NOT the Auburn way. We develop Auburn men and women. I don't like hired guns and I've lost tons of respect for Barbee whom I've been defending.

WDE!!

WDE!!!!

Wow. The run of nothing but bad news from our basketball program continues. Shaking my head at the Barbee supporters cause I'm just not gettin it guys.

I don't see how you can view this as bad news. We just picked up a stud PG in exchange for a PG/SG that didn't fit in our system and averaged 2 pts. per game last season.

It's the turnover (again) that I don't like. Also, you used Greene's stats as a reason why bringing in the new guy makes sense but didn't mention that the "stud pg" averaged a whopping 5 points more per game. Lastly, what exactly is "our system" and why would Barbee sign a guy just 2 classes ago that doesn't fit in? I don't know a whole lot about basketball to be sure, but I can tell ya common sense says our "system" doesn't work. WDE.

Wow. The run of nothing but bad news from our basketball program continues. Shaking my head at the Barbee supporters cause I'm just not gettin it guys.

I don't see how you can view this as bad news. We just picked up a stud PG in exchange for a PG/SG that didn't fit in our system and averaged 2 pts. per game last season.

It's the turnover (again) that I don't like. Also, you used Greene's stats as a reason why bringing in the new guy makes sense but didn't mention that the "stud pg" averaged a whopping 5 points more per game. Lastly, what exactly is "our system" and why would Barbee sign a guy just 2 classes ago that doesn't fit in? I don't know a whole lot about basketball to be sure, but I can tell ya common sense says our "system" doesn't work. WDE.

The "system" worked real well for John Calipari until his first round draft choice was injured last year. The "system" that he uses is what Barbee uses so when we we get a one and done center first round draft choice that "system" will win us about 9 games a year based on what I see.

Sucks to see Greene Jr. leave, thought he was gonna be the future leader of this team.

Curious where that came from. His playing time peaked at the middle of the season and as the year went on , for the most part he played fewer and fewer minutes. Personally I didn't see BG as an SEC PG...now or in the future but that's just an opinion. I have no idea about his potential....but strikes me that TB would not have brought in Seagears if he had thought BG was a future leader. Is this a good "trade"? It's much to early to tell and if two years from now BG is playing solid Div 1 ball somewhere and Seagears is just another miscalculation, then we will know...but it will be irrelevant because IMO, this is TB's last year to turn this team around and if he makes a bad decision on Seagears, the team's performance will suffer and TB will be gone anyway.

It was just off of his work ethic and passion for the game that made me think this. But. maybe the system didn't fit, not sure what the system is yet!!!

I didnt mean to infer that I support anything Barbee is doing. But at the same time, if he lets someone go to get someone else in, at least he is trying to save his job. I want a coach that is a fighter. Hope it goes well for him next season. If not it will be his last.

I didnt mean to infer that I support anything Barbee is doing. But at the same time, if he lets someone go to get someone else in, at least he is trying to save his job. I want a coach that is a fighter. Hope it goes well for him next season. If not it will be his last.

The question remains: Is Barbee letting people go to bring in a better prospect or are kids showing signs that they are getting ready to transfer and Barbee is scrambling around trying to find a warm body to replace the loss?

My opinion is that most, if not all of those transferring out are deciding to leave and Barbee's scrambling trying to find warm bodies to fill the void.

The question remains: Is Barbee letting people go to bring in a better prospect or are kids showing signs that they are getting ready to transfer and Barbee is scrambling around trying to find a warm body to replace the loss?

My opinion is that most, if not all of those transferring out are deciding to leave and Barbee's scrambling trying to find warm bodies to fill the void.

Good question, but it seems pretty clear to me that Seagears/ Brian Greene was just a swap. Like an hour after Seagears said he was headed to AU, BG announced he was leaving. By most accounts, that was a significant upgrade and not just scrambling to find a warm body. Also, these guys represent the 3rd and 4th Barbee recruits that have requested a transfer (Kouassi and Morena the others).

The transfer thing is a 2 way street though...KT Harrell transferred in last year, and by many accounts is the best shooter on the team. According to Rivals, over 400 players will transfer in D-1 bball this year...seems like this is becoming the trend.

Yeah and Ward was going to be a great PG and that other guy that transferred in was also going to be a world beater as well. (Sorry hard to remember these guys names when they come and go so quickly)

Sorry to be Debbie downer on the BBall program but i'm fed up and frankly kinda mad at Barbee for what he is doing to further bury our already sad BBall program.

Barbee may turn out to be the next Sonny Smith and if that happens i'll eat all the crow that is served, but at this point I honestly question if Barbee si trying to hurt our program. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Barbee was able to somehow pull a miracle and win 15 games next year that he wouldn't jump at the first oppurtunity to leave regardless of the school. Some say he is trying to win now to save his job and I think he is trying to win now to get options to get out of this job.....

Hey Dansby...I've forgotten....where are Kouassi and Morena playing these days? :-\ And as for Ward, JMO but we dodged a bullet with him....probably because AU dropped the hammer so quickly. TB probably deserves some credit for quick action on that potential bomb.

Oh I forgot about Ward, and you are right 64, we dodged a huge bullet there. That craziness also happend on JJ's watch. Monumental occurrences like this are commonplace these days. Unbelievable.

Oh I forgot about Ward, and you are right 64, we dodged a huge bullet there. That craziness also happend on JJ's watch. Monumental occurrences like this are commonplace these days. Unbelievable.

Can't blame this on JJ. Perhaps you recall all the things that happened under other ADs....Mike Lude, David Housel and of course Pat Dye was his own AD for a while. Student-athletes and coaches (CE, PD, etc.) are responsible for their own dumb decisions....and it's a shame that others often have to come along behind them to clean up their messes...or help pay the price for their stupidity. In the old days....say pre-1990, unless you were an insider, a player would just disappear from the roster and no one knew why....now, every time a kid thinks a deviant thought, it's circulated around the internet for all the see or hear. JMO but too much information is not necessarily a good thing.

We process our basketball players like Bama does their football players.... except we still suck.

I'm not sure Price or Greene were "processed". There were some games when Greene in particular came in and hit several big shots, mostly 3-pointers. Price holds the AU record and is tied for the SEC record of hitting 11 consecutive 3-pointers. Both guys had potential.

My thinking is that they both left to go to a better situation and Barbee scratched around to find warm bodies to replace them. Others think Barbee routinely processes players such as Missouri's Earnest Ross in efforts to improve his team. We'll probably never have a definitive answer to whether the chicken or the egg came first.

We process our basketball players like Bama does their football players.... except we still suck.

I'm not sure Price or Greene were "processed". There were some games when Greene in particular came in and hit several big shots, mostly 3-pointers. Price holds the AU record and is tied for the SEC record of hitting 11 consecutive 3-pointers. Both guys had potential.

My thinking is that they both left to go to a better situation and Barbee scratched around to find warm bodies to replace them. Others think Barbee routinely processes players such as Missouri's Earnest Ross in efforts to improve his team. We'll probably never have a definitive answer to whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Price and Greene won't end up on better teams... probably at one of the Louisiana directional universities. Greene doesn't have the skill set to play big-time basketball, and Price is currently eating his way out of the D1 level...

Price and Greene won't end up on better teams... probably at one of the Louisiana directional universities. Greene doesn't have the skill set to play big-time basketball, and Price is currently eating his way out of the D1 level...

Just amazing...the guy was a FRESHMAN! He did not play enuff to see what his skill set is...and from what I saw, he wasn't too far behind the "skill set" players we have playing "big time basketball"...which ones were those again? The whole point of this thread I thought, was not to trash the players that were leaving, but addressed at the loss of yet another player after one year or less, which has been the norm under Barbee...VERY LITTLE PLAYER DEVELOPMENT OF THE YOUNG TALENT HE HAS RECRUITED. To me, that has been his bane.

You consider Auburn big-time basketball right now?

Face it, Greene was a late signee... a roster filler. He's not a shooter, he doesn't have the speed or ball skills to run the point, and he's too short to be a slasher and play at the rim... He's a Sun-Belt, OVC type athlete... and that's ok!

Seagears is the true point that we desperately need.

Face it, Greene was a late signee... a roster filler. He's not a shooter, he doesn't have the speed or ball skills to run the point, and he's too short to be a slasher and play at the rim... He's a Sun-Belt, OVC type athlete... and that's ok!

I think bills was saying we don't have any big time players period.

I think bills was saying we don't have any big time players period.

That could be true but in anything, Seagears is an upgrade ....if only a baby step.

Archived