Brian Greene Jr transferring

jared52

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could have deleted my thread since you have Hoke's tweet posted. :D I was too lazy.

Had to make room for Seagears. How do you sell kids on AU if they can be replaced so easily by transfers. Can't instill trust or chemistry this way.

What the heck is going on with our baskeball program? Good grief. We have more movement than some team had in the NFL draft! I've been a supporter of Barbee...never looked at him as some savior but thought he can at least get us back to being respectable but how can we get to .500 if we don't have players not even staying with the program a good 2 or 3 years? Man!

I'm not sure I like this "processing". Most of us keep saying we have to have consistency and build a team like they do in a lot of mid majors. This is not the way to do that. It also makes Barbee look like a hypocrite since all he did was talk about Greene being superman before the year started. I want to win, but at what cost? Lot of good players would have been processed back in the day if they were only given 1 year.

I'm not sure I like this "processing". Most of us keep saying we have to have consistency and build a team like they do in a lot of mid majors. This is not the way to do that. It also makes Barbee look like a hypocrite since all he did was talk about Greene being superman before the year started. I want to win, but at what cost? Lot of good players would have been processed back in the day if they were only given 1 year.

Agree. IMO Barbee has to do SOMETHING this year with this team or he'll be fired. He does all this shuffling going into a make it or break it year? Plus, the fact that players continue to leave the program with him as HC doesn't look good at ALL! What's the count now? Maybe we should've fired Barbee and hire that coach from Florida Gulf Coast. Geesh. This is getting old with our basketball program!

Wow. The run of nothing but bad news from our basketball program continues. Shaking my head at the Barbee supporters cause I'm just not gettin it guys.

Sucks to see Greene Jr. leave, thought he was gonna be the future leader of this team.

Curious where that came from. His playing time peaked at the middle of the season and as the year went on , for the most part he played fewer and fewer minutes. Personally I didn't see BG as an SEC PG...now or in the future but that's just an opinion. I have no idea about his potential....but strikes me that TB would not have brought in Seagears if he had thought BG was a future leader. Is this a good "trade"? It's much to early to tell and if two years from now BG is playing solid Div 1 ball somewhere and Seagears is just another miscalculation, then we will know...but it will be irrelevant because IMO, this is TB's last year to turn this team around and if he makes a bad decision on Seagears, the team's performance will suffer and TB will be gone anyway.

Wow. The run of nothing but bad news from our basketball program continues. Shaking my head at the Barbee supporters cause I'm just not gettin it guys.

I don't see how you can view this as bad news. We just picked up a stud PG in exchange for a PG/SG that didn't fit in our system and averaged 2 pts. per game last season.

Agree. IMO Barbee has to do SOMETHING this year with this team or he'll be fired. He does all this shuffling going into a make it or break it year? Plus, the fact that players continue to leave the program with him as HC doesn't look good at ALL! What's the count now? Maybe we should've fired Barbee and hire that coach from Florida Gulf Coast. Geesh. This is getting old with our basketball program!

Barbee knew that Greene was going to transfer, so he got Seagears which is a major upgrade as far as talent goes and at a position that we needed badly, also. And Barbee will get at least 2 more years unless he wins less than 10 games this upcoming season. Barbee's seat is a little above room temperature but nothing more.

I don't see how you can view this as bad news. We just picked up a stud PG in exchange for a PG/SG that didn't fit in our system and averaged 2 pts. per game last season.

al.com says seagars avgd almost 8 pts and 2.5 assists as a PG his freshman year while Greene avgd 4 vs. SEC opponents and 2 in Non conf play in fall. it also says that Seagars struggled last year. Whether his 4 starness in HS carries over here, remains to be seen. I liked Greene, he had some bulk to him and thought he would be better as a SG. Who knows how he would have done this year. He reminded me of the kid who transferred to Missouri and had a career game against us this past season.

My problem is here we go again, 7 or 8 new players. and if Greene did not fit into Barbee's game plan, why did he bring him in the first place? Same story, different player.

As Mikey said on another thread....NO player development under Barbee...and that is what a lot of us are disappointed about.

Time will tell....

Don't kid yourselves that Greene leaving was a tradeoff for Seagears. Price leaving made room for Seagears. This is just another case of Barbee not being able to retain players.

Do any of you remember several weeks ago when there seemed to be a consensus that Barbee's future at Auburn depended on him being able to hold this freshman class together? Well, he has now officially failed to hold his freshman class together for the third time in three years.

I was slipping off the Barbee bandwagon when it was announced that Price was leaving. With today's news I am off that wagon completely. If a school or coach can't bring in the 5* players, he must win with experienced, loyal and dedicated players. We never have an experienced team because Barbee's signees bail out after one year.

Barbee knew that Greene was going to transfer, so he got Seagears which is a major upgrade as far as talent goes and at a position that we needed badly, also. And Barbee will get at least 2 more years unless he wins less than 10 games this upcoming season. Barbee's seat is a little above room temperature but nothing more.

Really...well that's news to me.

al.com says seagars avgd almost 8 pts and 2.5 assists as a PG his freshman year while Greene avgd 4 vs. SEC opponents and 2 in Non conf play in fall. it also says that Seagars struggled last year. Whether his 4 starness in HS carries over here, remains to be seen. I liked Greene, he had some bulk to him and thought he would be better as a SG. Who knows how he would have done this year. He reminded me of the kid who transferred to Missouri and had a career game against us this past season.

My problem is here we go again, 7 or 8 new players. and if Greene did not fit into Barbee's game plan, why did he bring him in the first place? Same story, different player.

As Mikey said on another thread....NO player development under Barbee...and that is what a lot of us are disappointed about.

Time will tell....

Exactly! Just doesn't make sense! He doesn't know if a kid "fits" his system until they are brought in? Get some players...keep them and build some dang team chemistry. I get he needs time to build his own squad but these are guys that "he" recruited. This musical chairs of players needs to stop or Barbee will continue to have excuses for why his tenure is not working out!

Given that Barbee recruited Green and you say he didn't fit our system how do you know he wouldn't have eventually fit our system OR how do you know Seagears DOES fit our system. Either Barbee doesn't know how to recruit for his system given the players who have left OR he's like the mechanic working on your car that keeps putting new parts on trying to fix the problem with new parts rather than fix the old one. And please look at the comments Barbee made about Greene before this year. It sounded so much like he was Superman that I criticized him and now he's running him off. Frankly I don't think that is what I want in a basketball program.

Given that Barbee recruited Green and you say he didn't fit our system how do you know he wouldn't have eventually fit our system OR how do you know Seagears DOES fit our system. Either Barbee doesn't know how to recruit for his system given the players who have left OR he's like the mechanic working on your car that keeps putting new parts on trying to fix the problem with new parts rather than fix the old one. And please look at the comments Barbee made about Greene before this year. It sounded so much like he was Superman that I criticized him and now he's running him off. Frankly I don't think that is what I want in a basketball program.

In the business world you hire people that you think will fit your system and then put them on probation or whatever and give them time to prove that they will indeed "fit your system". Generally you have a relatively short period of time to make the decision. Some people do fit and some don't....and for the ones that don't, it's generally best for both parties for them to move on rather than waste their time "sitting on a bench" or whatever. But, it strikes me as interesting that people writing on a sports board who have probably never met the guy, seen him at practice, etc. think they can predict his future better than the coaches who know him, his skills, his work ethic, etc. etc. I hope he does well somewhere else...but meanwhile, what good does it do him or AUburn for him to hang around when the coaches have made a decision about his future with the team?

I am shocked that people are shocked by this. It's just same old/same old as far as our basketball program goes. For those saying "he didn't fit our system", why the heck recruit him then? Are we trying to fit square pegs in round holes? Our basketball program is in a very bad place right now. We can either hope for change or expect same old/same old. Just my opinion.

When over 50% of a coach's signees either are "processed" because they don't fit the system, or jump ship on their own because they don't like playing for Barbee (take your pick of the two reasons why they leave) something is wrong. Something is very, very wrong.

Think what would happen if 50% of a football coach's signees left after their freshman season and this happened year after year. What then? We'd be riding that coach out of town on a rail.

Barbee's failure to keep and develop talent is tragic. As I stated elsewhere, until a couple of weeks ago I was fully on the Barbee bandwagon but that depended on his keeping his four freshmen together and finally starting to build some team continuity, experience and the chemistry that accrues with those things. He's now failed to do that and I'm ready for him to leave here and go elsewhere.

All I am saying is that we got a very good trade. Seagears is an actual PG while Greene Jr. is not a true PG but not a pure shooter either. Maybe Barbee did do a poor evaluating job, or he didn't like it at Auburn, but either way, at this point in time, I'd much rather have Seagears than Greene Jr. At this point in the game, as long as we are upgrading our talent, we should be happy.

I don't disagree with you about Barbee Mikey, but I don't think Greene was anywhere to close to SEC caliber talent....and I really disagree with the comparison to E. Ross. Barbee needed to upgrade talent immediately. If he loses, he's gone...simple as that. All roster moves are done, time to close the book on last year and get behind this team for next year.

I don't disagree with you about Barbee Mikey, but I don't think Greene was anywhere to close to SEC caliber talent....and I really disagree with the comparison to E. Ross. Barbee needed to upgrade talent immediately. If he loses, he's gone...simple as that. All roster moves are done, time to close the book on last year and get behind this team for next year.

I don't think we will ever know whether he was SEC talent or not. That seems to be the way to explain these processed players away, regardless of their reason for leaving. Whether he was or not, there is no development (so far) under Barbee of the kids he has recruited.

My comment vs. Ross, was that Greene "appeared" to me to have some size to him (Ross has really bulked up since he left here) vs. these undersized and underwt (except Price!) kids we seem to put on the court each year that get knocked around and dominated by opponents. I have no problem getting behind the team next year...the problem is with Barbee fielding a different team each year, no team chemistry and evidently an inability to evaluate talent/personality, etc. to fit his philosophy. Given the roster size, there is little room for error here in signing recruits you "think" might work for you. He had plenty of mulligans his first year...and that has become the norm.

You're right, we may never know on Greene....but he played a minimal role on the worst team in the worst big time conference and was outperformed all season by a short, walk-on. His only other SEC offer was from Ole Miss.

I disagree on Ross "really bulking up", he's always been pretty stout...Ross played at 6-5, 215 or so at AU and played at 6-5, 222 last yr at Mizzou. Rob Chubb got bigger each and every year he was at AU (unfortunately he was not very good at basketball). Nobody pushed Frankie around, Denson can hold his own when he's healthy, nobody pushed Shaq around on either end of the court. ADT could use some bulk, but he pushed back every time he was challenged.

I agree with you on Barbee though...the trend has been frustrating. If he wins 20 games this year (which, given the trend, will be AMAZING...albeit unlikely) his job will be safe and we'll see where he goes. If he loses this year, or experiences another exodus...I reckon we'll hire Bruce Pearl.

Archived