2014 4* JUCO S Derrick Moncrief signs with AU!

ellitor

Good looking athlete. I can see him being rated a 3 star. Has tons of upside though. He's a decent tackler, not great by any stretch, lowers his head way to much. I don't see him as a FS or SS, maybe the Star. Strange as it sounds he may need a redshirt year to be able to go through a couple spring and fall practices. His hips needs lots of work in drops, closing speed is pretty good and playing FS in JC hasn't taught him how to get off blocks that he'd need at the Star position.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having played with the Moncrief brothers I will say that they were/are all bursting with athleticism. He has the opportunity to be an Ed Reed type of player, which Auburn desperately needs after so many years of so few turnovers. Only problem I can think of is when Derrick was starting at Prattville, it was around the time the Prattville defense started to look like Auburn's i.e. couldn't tackle ANYONE. Sometimes even he would miss tackles or take poor angles. I'm sure it's been fixed by now, and if not, it's obvious Coach Johnson has made that a priority for our team.

Having played with the Moncrief brothers I will say that they were/are all bursting with athleticism. He has the opportunity to be an Ed Reed type of player, which Auburn desperately needs after so many years of so few turnovers. Only problem I can think of is when Derrick was starting at Prattville, it was around the time the Prattville defense started to look like Auburn's i.e. couldn't tackle ANYONE. Sometimes even he would miss tackles or take poor angles. I'm sure it's been fixed by now, and if not, it's obvious Coach Johnson has made that a priority for our team.

I know that was the story during his Junior year. Most of the D was young and new and all the D struggled. But did you see that his senior year when he and the Prattville D was so dominant?

Bryan Matthews@BMatt24739s

JUCO safety Derrick Moncrief ranked a 4-star by 247Sports.

I tweeted 247's juco guy, Brian Perroni, yesterday asking him when Moncrief would be rated. He said in the next 2 weeks. He is rated today. Now that is what I call service.

The safety from Miami with the last name Taylor was 6'3" 230 lbs and he was elite. If he has the speed and athletic ability to play safety, then I'm all for it!

Sean Taylor (RIP) and yes he was an animal on the back end

I know that was the story during his Junior year. Most of the D was young and new and all the D struggled. But did you see that his senior year when he and the Prattville D was so dominant?

I want to say I remember it improving greatly, but it was still not as good the defense I played on when Bill Clark was head coach. I could be wrong though. I'm sure you have followed Lions football much more closely than me since I left. Either way, the Mocrief's all had incredible athleticism and huge amounts of confidence. I would love for him to come to Auburn.

I hope we get Moncrief. He looks very athletic and is not afraid to hit hard, as well as go for the ball. I like his size.

have we had a true enforcer in the secondary since Junior Rosegreen? Moncrief could be that for us. perfect fit for this D, IMO.

Derrick Moncrief is 6-foot-4, 226-pounds right now. He says he was recruited to play the 'star' position. Sounds like an ideal fit.

Derrick Moncrief is also JUCO teammates with the nation's top JUCO WR, D'haquille Williams. Moncrief said he would now recruit Williams.

@JHokanson

What year is he? I wish he would red shirt this season, and transfer to AU w/ 3 years eligibility...

much like Eltoro and Fairley...

He has been hitting the weights since HS as evidenced by his pics. Once he EE's he has plenty of time to refine that body for the SEC. I am really pumped about this. What a freakin' week! Come on JT, make the decision and get your stuff in order. We need you too!

What year is he? I wish he would red shirt this season, and transfer to AU w/ 3 years eligibility...

much like Eltoro and Fairley...

I think he is a Dec. grad and a 3 to play 2 guy. I wonder if he could still redshirt and pick up an extra year by now...Mods??

Archived