Starting Freshmen QBs in BCS Conferences- interesting info.

IronMan70

Some of the names on that list did not qualify to be ranked in the NCAA's top-100 because of not enough pass attempts. In fact 9 of the 15 listed were not ranked by the NCAA. From 2003-2012, there were 19 true freshman quarterbacks to qualify with enough attempts to be ranked in the NCAA's top-100.

If thats the top then, barring the slim chance he is just an absolute freak, I hope Jeremy Johnson isn't the best QB on campus when the season starts haha

It should be noted that Mitch Mustain was Gus Malzahn's QB in high school, and the season listed on here is the one they spent together at Arkansas before Malzahn was fired (for being too much of a threat for Houston Nutt-job...I mean, umm, Houston Nutt's job). Seems like the other guy they started that season (named Cox, I believe..ironically enough) was a redshirt freshman, as well.

It should be noted that Mitch Mustain was Gus Malzahn's QB in high school, and the season listed on here is the one they spent together at Arkansas before Malzahn was fired (for being too much of a threat for Houston Nutt-job...I mean, umm, Houston Nutt's job). Seems like the other guy they started that season (named Cox, I believe..ironically enough) was a redshirt freshman, as well.

You forgot to mention Mustain was 8-0 as a starter that season. As Stat indirectly pointed out, those stats are misleading. They give the overall team record for those seasons but not the team record for the games each player started.

You forgot to mention Mustain was 8-0 as a starter that season. As Stat indirectly pointed out, those stats are misleading. They give the overall team record for those seasons but not the team record for the games each player started.

You're right, I did forget to mention that. Cox was hurt in the preseason, which is why Mustain started in the first place, but I'm not so sure that Nutt didn't force Malzahn to go with Cox. Of course, having Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in the backfield didn't make things any harder on them...man that all sounds so dirty... :laugh:

You're right, I did forget to mention that. Cox was hurt in the preseason, which is why Mustain started in the first place, but I'm not so sure that Nutt didn't force Malzahn to go with Cox. Of course, having Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in the backfield didn't make things any harder on them...man that all sounds so dirty... :laugh:

Not sure who this Cox guy is but the QB Mustain went head to head with was was Casey Dick. Dang, that does sounds dirty. ;D

Whatever happened to Mitch Mustain?

He and his, considered by many to be crazy, mama disappeared into obscurity

Close but not quite. He is in arena football with the San Jose Sabercats

From 2000-2012, there have been 72 true freshman QB's that were able to make the NCAA's top-100 rated passers. There are a lot more horror stories than great seasons.

The average QB rating during that time period is 127.

* The average rating of the 72 freshman QB's was 125.6.

* 63.9% fell below the average rating of 127.

* 44.4% fell below a rating of 120.

* Only 20.8% had a rating of 140 or better and 6 of the 15 who did it, came from a non-BCS program.

All that being the case, I'd hate for Auburn to have to rush Jeremy Johnson into an active role as a true freshman. It's a rare kid that has the ability to transition from HS to the SEC in a matter of a few months. Further, it seems that most of those, with a few exceptions, that are forced into action as freshman, would've been better had they had the RS year to gain some maturity and adjust to the speed of SEC defenses. I suspect someone will step in and allow the coaches to bring JJ along at a pace that's going to be best for him AND Auburn long term.

Not sure who this Cox guy is but the QB Mustain went head to head with was was Casey Dick. Dang, that does sounds dirty. ;D

He was at least in the ballpark when he said Cox.

He was at least in the ballpark when he said Cox.

Yes, I noticed. lol

Isnt that picking hairs E? Cant say i know anyone with season tickets to Sabercat games...

Isnt that picking hairs E? Cant say i know anyone with season tickets to Sabercat games...

Probably to most. To me obscurity means not playing anymore.

Mustains story is sad. Had the falling out at Ark not happened, people would still be fearing him. Kid could play.

Mustain....isn't that how Gus got to Arky? .....they hired Gus to get the QB...or at least that was the story. Amazing how things turn out sometimes.

I steadfastly refute the Mitch Mustain love. He was not good. Even when Arkansas was winning with him under center, they were winning in spite of him. Casey Dick was put into the lineup because he was better for their offense.

Go back and check those game logs. He played a couple of good games. The rest were awful. He torched Vandy in his second career start (in what was essentially his best game every as a college QB), and he was great against Ole Miss in his second to last start. After that, he almost single-handedly lost the Bama game (7 for 22, 97 yards and 3 INTs in a double OT win). Against Auburn, he tossed a 50 yard 1st quarter TD and was basically banned from throwing it after that (87 yards passing for the game). Wise move. He completed less than 40% of his passes against SE Missouri State and Louisiana-Monroe. The next week he was pulled after one series (and that game still gets counted in his 8-0 record as a starter). He was not a good QB.

After he left Arkansas, he went to USC, was beaten out first by Mark Sanchez, then by Aaron Corp for the backup spot, then by Matt Barkley. He made his lone start at USC as a senior against Notre Dame after Barkley got hurt (and Corp transferred pre-season).

I don't dislike the guy or anything. I just can't take that 8-0 record being tossed around like an accomplishment. He played well in three of the eight games. The remaining wins include a game where he took 3 snaps, a game where he was asked to throw essentially for a quarter, and three games where he was disasterously bad but his team won anyway (largely because the competition was worse).

I think you made a very fair assessment of his collegiate career. Highly touted HS player, who never came close to living up to the hype. He had two opportunities with two different teams and coaching staffs but it was the same result. This is not a personal attack on Mustain but another example of reality in sports.

I steadfastly refute the Mitch Mustain love. He was not good. Even when Arkansas was winning with him under center, they were winning in spite of him. Casey Dick was put into the lineup because he was better for their offense.

Go back and check those game logs. He played a couple of good games. The rest were awful. He torched Vandy in his second career start (in what was essentially his best game every as a college QB), and he was great against Ole Miss in his second to last start. After that, he almost single-handedly lost the Bama game (7 for 22, 97 yards and 3 INTs in a double OT win). Against Auburn, he tossed a 50 yard 1st quarter TD and was basically banned from throwing it after that (87 yards passing for the game). Wise move. He completed less than 40% of his passes against SE Missouri State and Louisiana-Monroe. The next week he was pulled after one series (and that game still gets counted in his 8-0 record as a starter). He was not a good QB.

After he left Arkansas, he went to USC, was beaten out first by Mark Sanchez, then by Aaron Corp for the backup spot, then by Matt Barkley. He made his lone start at USC as a senior against Notre Dame after Barkley got hurt (and Corp transferred pre-season).

I don't dislike the guy or anything. I just can't take that 8-0 record being tossed around like an accomplishment. He played well in three of the eight games. The remaining wins include a game where he took 3 snaps, a game where he was asked to throw essentially for a quarter, and three games where he was disasterously bad but his team won anyway (largely because the competition was worse).

Not so fast. I too hope JJ doesn't have to start as a true frosh but just picking a couple examples out of the air, Tommy Hodson got 'er done in a very big way as a true frosh for LSU in 1986 and after starting for 4 years LSU had 2 SEC titles. And remember this guy?

After graduating from Marietta, Zeier attended the University of Georgia. Zeier was one of the first notable high school football players to graduate ahead of his class so as to attend his college early and join the football team for spring practices, enrolling in January 1991.[1] At Georgia, he compiled a 26-14-1 record as a starter. He made his debut as a Bulldog on October 5, 1991 against the Clemson Tigers, a game Georgia won 27-12. Zeier went on to start the final seven games of his freshman season and started every game during his final three seasons at Georgia. His tenure included a 4-0 record against Georgia Tech, a victory in the 1991 Independence Bowl over Arkansas, and a victory in the 1993 Citrus Bowl over Ohio State.

Zeier finished his college career with 67 school records and 18 Southeastern Conference records. He became the SEC's all-time passing leader with 11,153 yards—a record which has been surpassed only by Peyton Manning and UGA's own David Greene. In 1993, his junior season, Zeier threw for 544 yards against Southern Miss, a school record. In 1994, Zeier was named the American Football Coaches Association First-team All-American quarterback. Over his four years at Georgia, Zeier completed 877 of 1461 attempts for 11,153 yards, 67 touchdowns, and 37 interceptions.

Not so fast. I too hope JJ doesn't have to start as a true frosh but just picking a couple examples out of the air, Tommy Hodson got 'er done in a very big way as a true frosh for LSU in 1986 and after starting for 4 years LSU had 2 SEC titles. And remember this guy?

After graduating from Marietta, Zeier attended the University of Georgia. Zeier was one of the first notable high school football players to graduate ahead of his class so as to attend his college early and join the football team for spring practices, enrolling in January 1991.[1] At Georgia, he compiled a 26-14-1 record as a starter. He made his debut as a Bulldog on October 5, 1991 against the Clemson Tigers, a game Georgia won 27-12. Zeier went on to start the final seven games of his freshman season and started every game during his final three seasons at Georgia. His tenure included a 4-0 record against Georgia Tech, a victory in the 1991 Independence Bowl over Arkansas, and a victory in the 1993 Citrus Bowl over Ohio State.

Zeier finished his college career with 67 school records and 18 Southeastern Conference records. He became the SEC's all-time passing leader with 11,153 yards—a record which has been surpassed only by Peyton Manning and UGA's own David Greene. In 1993, his junior season, Zeier threw for 544 yards against Southern Miss, a school record. In 1994, Zeier was named the American Football Coaches Association First-team All-American quarterback. Over his four years at Georgia, Zeier completed 877 of 1461 attempts for 11,153 yards, 67 touchdowns, and 37 interceptions.

I agree that Zeier did put up some impressive numbers and did have a very impressive college career- however I also believe that he is without a doubt the exception, not the rule. I would love for JJ to come in, have an immediate positive impact, and win us 4 consecutive SEC titles and NC's, but statistically, if he starts a freshman, he is more likely to do poorly than he is to do well.

I think everybody here agrees that JJ has the physical tools to become an AU legend, and the common belief that we all have is that we don't want to do something and mess that up, and my opinion is that we should redshirt him. We have 3 very athletic QB's that can effectively run this offense, we don't need to rush JJ into starting. Let him work at getting chemistry with recievers, learning the offense inside and out, and managing living away from home for a year so that when he DOES start, he will be ready both mentally and physically to take this offense by the horns and run it like we all believe that he can.

thUGA had a couple of stout WR's then as well for Eric Zeir, who was also the baldest True Freshmen QB in SEC history!

I agree that Zeier did put up some impressive numbers and did have a very impressive college career- however I also believe that he is without a doubt the exception, not the rule. I would love for JJ to come in, have an immediate positive impact, and win us 4 consecutive SEC titles and NC's, but statistically, if he starts a freshman, he is more likely to do poorly than he is to do well.

I think everybody here agrees that JJ has the physical tools to become an AU legend, and the common belief that we all have is that we don't want to do something and mess that up, and my opinion is that we should redshirt him. We have 3 very athletic QB's that can effectively run this offense, we don't need to rush JJ into starting. Let him work at getting chemistry with recievers, learning the offense inside and out, and managing living away from home for a year so that when he DOES start, he will be ready both mentally and physically to take this offense by the horns and run it like we all believe that he can.

Definitely agree with the hopes that we're able to RS JJ. it is the exceptional HS QB who can successfully transition to the speed of SEC defenses in only a few very short months. Surely out of 4 other guys Gus can find someone who can play til he's ready, don't ya think?

Archived