Starting Freshmen QBs in BCS Conferences- interesting info.

IronMan70

If JJ were to play a lot as a freshman instead of redshirting....it would leave me thinking that we would probably be swapping a struggling freshman season for a great senior season down the road. I hope the conditions allow us to develop him properly over four years and not rush him onto the field before he is well prepared.

If JJ were to play a lot as a freshman instead of redshirting....it would leave me thinking that we would probably be swapping a struggling freshman season for a great senior season down the road. I hope the conditions allow us to develop him properly over four years and not rush him onto the field before he is well prepared.

Well, that is certainly a possibility but the way things usually shape up for the really good players is this. IF he's as good as advertised, he'll more than likely opt for the NFL after his RS Jr season anyway.

Well, that is certainly a possibility but the way things usually shape up for the really good players is this. IF he's as good as advertised, he'll more than likely opt for the NFL after his RS Jr season anyway.

Gotta disagree with that comment. Very few college QBs go this way....I notice that all QBs drafted this season were Seniors. Odds of him leaving as a Junior are very small unless he happens to win a Heisman or something...which would be nice of course ...but very unlikely. I would like to take the long view with him and bring him along with a true development plan.....IMO we've ruined a few guys over the years forcing them into action before they were ready.

Gotta disagree with that comment. Very few college QBs go this way....I notice that all QBs drafted this season were Seniors. Odds of him leaving as a Junior are very small unless he happens to win a Heisman or something...which would be nice of course ...but very unlikely. I would like to take the long view with him and bring him along with a true development plan.....IMO we've ruined a few guys over the years forcing them into action before they were ready.

Disagree if you must but the sentiment around here is he's going to be a superstar. That's what I based my statement on. If he turns out to be as good as so many in here predict..he'll be gone after his RS Jr season. One NFL draft doesn't really mean a lot. Quite a few guys go after their JR season.

The way things usually shape up for quarterbacks, really good or not, is if he doesn't get a year of carrying the clipboard and running the scout team, then his head gets so screwed around the axle that he never reaches his full potential. As critical of Kiehl Frazier as you have been (and he's deserved at least some of the criticism, even if I do still think he still has a real shot to be special if things can click for him), and with the way Kodi Burns' career went, I would think you would know better than that, Blue. I, for one, would rather have a redshirt junior who has done enough to warrant going pro early than to have a fourth year senior who never lived up to what he could have been.

The way things usually shape up for quarterbacks, really good or not, is if he doesn't get a year of carrying the clipboard and running the scout team, then his head gets so screwed around the axle that he never reaches his full potential. As critical of Kiehl Frazier as you have been (and he's deserved at least some of the criticism, even if I do still think he still has a real shot to be special if things can click for him), and with the way Kodi Burns' career went, I would think you would know better than that, Blue. I, for one, would rather have a redshirt junior who has done enough to warrant going pro early than to have a fourth year senior who never lived up to what he could have been.

Know better than what? All I said was, if the kid lives up to expectations I suspect he'll be gone in 4 years either way. I said in an earlier post that I hoped we are able to RS him. I'm not sure what you're alluding to that I should know better than but my post was purely based on the idea that IF he lived up to his hype and frankly, at Auburn most QBs have not, especially of late, then I would expect he'd be gone in 4 years whether he's RS'd or not. BTW, on a side note -. how you feeling about your vote for Obama now?

Know better than what? All I said was, if the kid lives up to expectations I suspect he'll be gone in 4 years either way. I said in an earlier post that I hoped we are able to RS him. I'm not sure what you're alluding to that I should know better than but my post was purely based on the idea that IF he lived up to his hype and frankly, at Auburn most QBs have not, especially of late, then I would expect he'd be gone in 4 years whether he's RS'd or not. BTW, on a side note -. how you feeling about your vote for Obama now?

I love the way you operate: make sure you say enough on both sides that you can fall back on the hope that he redshirts, but still get your shots in anyway. You were replying to a post in which it was speculated that he should redshirt in order to develop (hopefully, you understand that's what swapping a struggling freshman year for a great senior year meant, or else you are not nearly as clever as you fashion yourself as being). So, were you being difficult intentionally, or were you simply being your typical argumentative self?

BTW, on a side note...I voted for Gary Johnson. And Chuck Baldwin in 08. I would go deeper into exactly how asinine that question was, but this isn't the politics forum, and you're deflecting. Nice try though. Really.

I love the way you operate: make sure you say enough on both sides that you can fall back on the hope that he redshirts, but still get your shots in anyway. You were replying to a post in which it was speculated that he should redshirt in order to develop (hopefully, you understand that's what swapping a struggling freshman year for a great senior year meant, or else you are not nearly as clever as you fashion yourself as being). So, were you being difficult intentionally, or were you simply being your typical argumentative self?

BTW, on a side note...I voted for Gary Johnson. And Chuck Baldwin in 08. I would go deeper into exactly how asinine that question was, but this isn't the politics forum, and you're deflecting. Nice try though. Really.

get my shots in? Is that really what you think? Good grief, you're really defensive aren't you? I didn't realize I was getting a shot off when I said I expect the guy will be gone in 4 years whether he's RS'd or not....that's your idea of getting a shot off? I only asked you about how you felt about your vote for Obama because you specifically told me you were more comfortable with an Obama Presidency than your were with Romney. That's your right, and I have no problem with your political point of view, I was just asking.We had quite an exchange precipitated by Obama's approval of gay marriage about which you were quite pleased.

get my shots in? Is that really what you think? Good grief, you're really defensive aren't you? I didn't realize I was getting a shot off when I said I expect the guy will be gone in 4 years whether he's RS'd or not....that's your idea of getting a shot off? I only asked you about how you felt about your vote for Obama because you specifically told me you were more comfortable with an Obama Presidency than your were with Romney. That's your right, and I have no problem with your political point of view, I was just asking.We had quite an exchange precipitated by Obama's approval of gay marriage about which you were quite pleased.

What's that all about? I thought this thread was about freshmen QBs and JJ in particular. VERY FEW QBs go out as juniors and just because this guy is 6-6" does not mean he is another Cam. And IMO, what people around here think about JJ means zero in the real world. Everyone here was talking like that about KB and then KF....voted them super-stars before they ever took a snap. I just hope the coaches do what is best for JJ...which will likely end up being what is best for Auburn.

Don't make me pull this car over, you two! Take it to pm's please.

No problem, sir. Im done here

Well apparently 64 is not. lol

Don't make me pull this car over, you two! Take it to pm's please.

No problem, sir. Im done here

Well apparently 64 is not. lol

Lol

Personally, I don't think there is, in the modern age, any player who should play QB as a true freshman. I was disappointed to see KF come in to the game in 2011. I will be disappointed to see JJ take the field any this year. Even as a wildcat or specialty package.

Not just for his sake, either. If he does, it shows that a scholarship was wasted on Marshall. And/or Frazier is a product of these out of control recruiting services that it seems everyone....coaches included....fall victim to.

Call it the investor in me, but i like my investments to seek full potential, maybe even sacrificing short term gain for an exponential long term one.

It's a fact. Fact. You cannot teach a kid to perform at his highest level with 4 months at an SEC level vs a redshirt year.

Personally, I don't think there is, in the modern age, any player who should play QB as a true freshman. I was disappointed to see KF come in to the game in 2011. I will be disappointed to see JJ take the field any this year. Even as a wildcat or specialty package.

Not just for his sake, either. If he does, it shows that a scholarship was wasted on Marshall. And/or Frazier is a product of these out of control recruiting services that it seems everyone....coaches included....fall victim to.

Call it the investor in me, but i like my investments to seek full potential, maybe even sacrificing short term gain for an exponential long term one.

It's a fact. Fact. You cannot teach a kid to perform at his highest level with 4 months at an SEC level vs a redshirt year.

I agree. If JJ has to play it just signals we don't have a QB that the coaches believe in and to think KF was the HS Player of the Year. I hope JJ gets the opportunity to RS to get his legs up under him, so to speak, and be able to see and adjust to SEC defenses.

Archived