Give Gus his 6 Month Grade

ShugMan55

for me, Chizik's 2012 grades would have been much different. However, I had a more insight than most others

Staff assembly: B

AU branding and marketing: A

Organization: C-

Spring practice: C-

Media relations: D

Team building: D-

Recruiting: A

Not sure if you are incloding Player Development into team building but if not I say d- in that area to go along with the rest of your grades.

What reasons would he have got those grades before the 2012? From all indication we had a decent Spring...not that anything spectacular comes from Spring anyway but wasn't KF expected to do well and take over as the future QB?

A D- in media relations is interesting...i'd like to hear why that grade? I understand that prior to the season that we had the tragedy happen but many things were not really exposed or rumored until after the season. Trust..I wanted Chiz gone as fast as possible but the one thing i think he did do a good job at as HC was media relations as I think he handled the Cam and Dyer situation well and even to his credit he still represents us well in addressing the media. He did what JJ was paid to do and addressed things 1st. I hated his coach speak and not getting any answers but there are plenty of coaches that do that. Just saying..it's easy to give bad grades as the season was going downhill but i found very few on here gripped about Chiz prior to the 2012 season.

I guess you missed the phrase highlighted. He, nor any of us that were given the priviledge to know more than others, can go into much detail. I can go into one thing you asked about that the answer is very public. The media relations grade for all 4 years is a D at best, not just 2012. This is because Chiz gave very little opportunity for media coverage especially when you compare it to how open Gus is now. Under Chiz if I remember correctly the media was allowed to be at 2 spring practices for about 10 minutes each. Gus allowed the media at practice for 30 minutes every day. Also Gus rotates between him, Laslee, and Johnson each day post practice that one of them would speak to the media each day. Now that I think about it it may have been every other day rotation with him 1 day and both coordinators the next. In contrast, Chiz may have spoke to the press 2 times each year during spring practices. Lastly, Gus has an open door policy while Chiz had a closed door policy.

But that's after the fact. There was nothing to compare Chiz to the past 4 years. Sure no one cared for his coach speak and would've liked a little more media coverage but the fact the man delivered a NC...and possibly had a chance to deliver another one...I'm sure no one would've cared if he wants to be more open in media coverage or not as long as we're winning games. If we had continued to win...i wouldn't have cared how Chiz choose to do media coverage...I'm sure many would have not either. Sure fans have a preference but winning trumps everything which was part of my point. Each coach can win and win at a high level no matter if they are more open or closed as a coach.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that's after the fact. There was nothing to compare Chiz to the past 4 years. Sure no one cared for his coach speak and would've liked a little more media coverage but the fact the man delivered a NC...and possibly had a chance to deliver another one...I'm sure no one would've cared if he wants to be more open in media coverage or not as long as we're winning games. If we had continued to win...i wouldn't have cared how Chiz choose to do media coverage...I'm sure many would have not either. Sure fans have a preference but winning trumps everything which was part of my point. Each coach can win and win at a high level no matter if they are more open or closed as a coach.

Not after the fact. The people who the side stuff of those 4 years most likely will not talk about it. The after the perspective you are getting are from people who did not know what was going on so it looks like after the fact when in reality it's not. To be brutally honest about the only credit I can give him for the Natty is the freshman and sophmore talent that contributed on that team and being a figure head. If Chiz got his way we would have never had Cam Newton. Gus had to beg and plead for Chizik to sign Cam. To me from a coaching standpoint the lion's share of the credit for the natty goes to Gus's offense and the player development the players received from the previous staff.

for me, Chizik's 2012 grades would have been much different. However, I had a more insight than most others

Staff assembly: B

Organization: C-

Spring practice: C-

Media relations: D

Team building: D-

Recruiting: A

Not sure if you are incloding Player Development into team building but if not I say d- in that area to go along with the rest of your grades.

What reasons would he have got those grades before the 2012? From all indication we had a decent Spring...not that anything spectacular comes from Spring anyway but wasn't KF expected to do well and take over as the future QB?

A D- in media relations is interesting...i'd like to hear why that grade? I understand that prior to the season that we had the tragedy happen but many things were not really exposed or rumored until after the season. Trust..I wanted Chiz gone as fast as possible but the one thing i think he did do a good job at as HC was media relations as I think he handled the Cam and Dyer situation well and even to his credit he still represents us well in addressing the media. He did what JJ was paid to do and addressed things 1st. I hated his coach speak and not getting any answers but there are plenty of coaches that do that. Just saying..it's easy to give bad grades as the season was going downhill but i found very few on here gripped about Chiz prior to the 2012 season.

I guess you missed the phrase highlighted. He, nor any of us that were given the priviledge to know more than others, can go into much detail. I can go into one thing you asked about that the answer is very public. The media relations grade for all 4 years is a D at best, not just 2012. This is because Chiz gave very little opportunity for media coverage especially when you compare it to how open Gus is now. Under Chiz if I remember correctly the media was allowed to be at 2 spring practices for about 10 minutes each. Gus allowed the media at practice for 30 minutes every day. Also Gus rotates between him, Laslee, and Johnson each day post practice that one of them would speak to the media each day. Now that I think about it it may have been every other day rotation with him 1 day and both coordinators the next. In contrast, Chiz may have spoke to the press 2 times each year during spring practices. Lastly, Gus has an open door policy while Chiz had a closed door policy.

To be brutally honest about the only credit I can give him for the Natty is the freshman and sophmore talent that contributed on that team and being a figure head. If Chiz got his way we would have never had Cam Newton. Gus had to beg and plead for Chizik to sign Cam. To me from a coaching standpoint the lion's share of the credit for the natty goes to Gus's offense and the player development the players received from the previous staff.

Well...guess that's a whole different topic. Not going to get that debate started again. I choose to give main credit to Chiz..it was a collective effort IMO....he was HC and all final decisions went through him and even if they were right or wrong in our eyes...it still brought us a NC. Like it or not the HC is always going to be the one that gets the credit in the record books, gets mentioned as being the main reason for winning championships as well as the blame.

To be brutally honest about the only credit I can give him for the Natty is the freshman and sophmore talent that contributed on that team and being a figure head. If Chiz got his way we would have never had Cam Newton. Gus had to beg and plead for Chizik to sign Cam. To me from a coaching standpoint the lion's share of the credit for the natty goes to Gus's offense and the player development the players received from the previous staff.

Well...guess that's a whole different topic. Not going to get that debate started again. I choose to give main credit to Chiz..it was a collective effort IMO....he was HC and all final decisions went through him and even if they were right or wrong in our eyes...it still brought us a NC. Like it or not the HC is always going to be the one that gets the credit in the record books, gets mentioned as being the main reason for winning championships as well as the blame.

I added more to the beginning of my post you will probaby want to read and reply to.

Ask again after the last game of the season.... :-\

Because that fits in the 6 month time frame of the title, right?

You guys know there is a lot that goes into his job before game day gets here right? I give him an A, because he has done his job superbly so far. If we had kept RF and the RB coach that went back to the NFL then I would give him the +. Pretty close to perfect for me so far though. Obviously he still has to win games, but he hasn't attempted that part of his job yet.

It took me quite a while to figure out who RF was. Perhaps that is a harbinger of the future.

The thing about grading him now is it's really difficult. We can look at what he has done so far, and it looks great. But how that translates on the field may be completely different. Thats why I agree with Elitor that he gets an "incomplete" at this time.

Even if you have an inside look at the program, until his team takes the field and plays a few games, it's really difficult to say if what we see is really effective or not. Knowing Gus and his offense I will say that it will be, but until we see it how can you really judge what is being done at the current time. I say 6 months in is too early.

The thing about grading him now is it's really difficult. We can look at what he has done so far, and it looks great. But how that translates on the field may be completely different. Thats why I agree with Elitor that he gets an "incomplete" at this time.

Even if you have an inside look at the program, until his team takes the field and plays a few games, it's really difficult to say if what we see is really effective or not. Knowing Gus and his offense I will say that it will be, but until we see it how can you really judge what is being done at the current time. I say 6 months in is too early.

+1

Staff assembly: B+

Organization: A+

Spring practice: B

Media relations: A

Team building: B+

Recruiting: B+

Overall, B+

I think there were a couple of questionable hires on this staff as well as some homeruns.

Recruiting was as good as can be expected with the short time frame but not A+. Plus I would like to see our camps a little more focused on talent scouting and less on water bollon fights. I know they do it to show another side of the staff but it's just an opinion.

Spring practice was better but not A+

Recruiting was as good as can be expected with the short time frame but not A+. Plus I would like to see our camps a little more focused on talent scouting and less on water bollon fights. I know they do it to show another side of the staff but it's just an opinion.

BCW is not a camp. It's a bonding day for the top prospects on the board. The water balloon fight was a homerun for the recruits and their families.

Gus has come a long way in his maturation as a head coach. I can remember seeing him speak to reporters right after he was hired by Chizik and thinking he has a long way to go to be head coaching material. He has come full circle and proves that you can be a nice guy and still be an effective head coach. He had handled every aspect of his job as Auburn's head coach to this point by exceeding the expectations of almost everyone. I give him an A+.

Archived