2015 4* RB Eric Swinney (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

As late as January the staff was not sure they would even take more than 1 in this class so don't expect them to take 3. As JFD just said, the staff would count Jovon as 2.

With Jovon being a Junior in '15 and the unknown of Pettway qualifying, there is a very good possibility that AU takes 3 RBs if one of those is Jovon and 2 are Freshmen.

slim chance.

nope

I am hearing all three are takes if they committed. Coaches will utilize the best talent they can get on campus and adapt around talent.

yep

Things may change but at last report AU only plans on taking 2 RBs in this class, Jovon included, FWIW. Based on report MO is Pettway will have to not qualify or Horton put up a heck of a persuasive argument to Gus to get him to change his mind and take Swinney if KJ and Jovon are in the fold. I want a 3rd RB but it just does not look like it will happen at this point.

nope

lol. You can deny all you want but I'm just relaying info and basing opinions logically off that info,

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thing is that, what is the deal with taking 3? What's it going to hurt?

There may not be overall room in the staff's collective mind to take 3. The staff has a total of 25 wants/needs they want filled overall in this class. The staff has other priorities to fill out those 25 spots than taking a 3rd back. If they go beyond 25 taking another OL or WR have priority over a 3rd back. The staff has to be ok with taking the full 28 to accept a 3rd back in this class.

My thing is that, what is the deal with taking 3? What's it going to hurt?

There may not be overall room in the staff's collective mind to take 3. The projection for the class right now is 21-25 total in this class. The staff has other priorities to fill out those 21-25 spots than taking a 3rd back as can be seen in WEAU's 2015 thread.

E, can very well be right, I am just relaying what I got from one person who has some tight connections. E has more connections than I do....Just saying there is a chance...50/50 of course!!!!

E, can very well be right, I am just relaying what I got from one person who has some tight connections. E has more connections than I do....Just saying there is a chance...50/50 of course!!!!

I edited my OP that you quoted with a better explanation of what I was trying to say if you want to read it. I'm not doubting you or your source. I am just pointing out the math will be very tight to take a 3rd RB.

As late as January the staff was not sure they would even take more than 1 in this class so don't expect them to take 3. As JFD just said, the staff would count Jovon as 2.

With Jovon being a Junior in '15 and the unknown of Pettway qualifying, there is a very good possibility that AU takes 3 RBs if one of those is Jovon and 2 are Freshmen.

slim chance.

nope

I am hearing all three are takes if they committed. Coaches will utilize the best talent they can get on campus and adapt around talent.

yep

Things may change but at last report AU only plans on taking 2 RBs in this class, Jovon included, FWIW. Based on report MO is Pettway will have to not qualify or Horton put up a heck of a persuasive argument to Gus to get him to change his mind and take Swinney if KJ and Jovon are in the fold. I want a 3rd RB but it just does not look like it will happen at this point.

nope

lol. You can deny all you want but I'm just relaying info and basing opinions logically off that info,

Nope, there is nothing to deny. You are just wrong on this.

So E, if Swinney wanted to commit they would not take it, because of a hold for Jovon?

As of now Swinney is not commiting til late May at the earliest when his school's Spring Training is over. Indications are Jovon could easily and probably will commit before then.

Lol. Time will tell. Did you at least read my post on how tight it would be numbers wise based on what the staff plans to take and another OL or WR having priority over a 3rd RB?

Did WDEWDE tell you guys something he has not told me yet? lol

Could they possibly be thinking of using Johnson as an athlete/safety and thus will need 2 more running backs?

he is coming in as a RB, which was an important part of his recruitment. While there is a chance of him moving in the future, he should be considered a RB for the purpose of this class

I say we end up with 3 RBs this class. I know the math E has pointed out is obvious and that the general consensus is 2 backs; however, if we have KJ, Jovon, and 1 more elite back wanting to commit then I think that will be allowed. As others have posted, I think if that happens it will largely be because Jovon would--at most--overlap with these other recruits by 1 year.

Lol. Time will tell. Did you at least read my post on how tight it would be numbers wise based on what the staff plans to take and another OL or WR having priority over a 3rd RB?

Where is 23 when you need him to settle a dispute?

Where is 23 when you need him to settle a dispute?

Who wants anything settled at this point?

:big:

:popcorn:

All this "they plan to take X" is the weakest sort of speculation. The staff starts off with a very, very flexible plan. We see this every year and let me tell you, if "they plan to take 2" and a third top prospect wants to commit, they'll take him. It's happened over and over at various positions.

The fact that Jovon will be coming in as a junior makes taking a third RB even more likely. The key is, we don't have to just fill numbers. We'll be good with two RB's but if a third RB want to sign with AU and he's top-quality you can bet we'll take him.

If Petteway doesn't qualify then they have to take 3. That would leave us with Roc, Barber, and Kerryon after next year and you got to have more than 3 RBs available. Even if Petteway does quilify a 3rd RB wouldn't be a bad idea because I think a lot of folks beleive Pett will be more of a HB/FB anyway. Tough call for the coaches because if Pett does qualify and Jovon does commit and isn't 1 and done then taking that 3rd RB seems like a bit of a waste since we have other positions that need more attention. Managing a football roster is no easy task!

Yep, I read it. I have no idea what you have been told, by anybody. I know what I have been told, by certain sources.

If Petteway doesn't qualify then they have to take 3. That would leave us with Roc, Barber, and Kerryon after next year

...and whatever freshmen we bring in for 2016.

Another factor will be how many high quality targets at other positions accept offers. Maybe miss on one or two and a third RB becomes the best alternative.

If Petteway doesn't qualify then they have to take 3. That would leave us with Roc, Barber, and Kerryon after next year

Oh yeah....yup taking 3 this years seems like definite overkill IMO. Unless of course the coaches think Kerryon may play a different spot and by all reports they like him at RB.

One thing we know for sure: Swinney is a heck of a back and will do well regardless of where he goes!

Oh yeah....yup taking 3 this years seems like definite overkill IMO. Unless of course the coaches think Kerryon may play a different spot and by all reports they like him at RB.

One thing we know for sure: Swinney is a heck of a back and will do well regardless of where he goes!

No doubt. I'd be okay with taking all 3.

Taking a 3rd RB this year, makes it more unlikely to land a top-notch RB in 2016. I would guess that the staff has a plan of taking 1-2 each year.

Taking a 3rd RB this year, makes it more unlikely to land a top-notch RB in 2016. I would guess that the staff has a plan of taking 1-2 each year.

This.

Aha... that makes sense. Disregard all my previous opinions on this matter :)

Archived