2015 4* RB Eric Swinney (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

Taking a 3rd RB this year, makes it more unlikely to land a top-notch RB in 2016. I would guess that the staff has a plan of taking 1-2 each year.

This.

Aha... that makes sense. Disregard all my previous opinions on this matter :)

Plans are one thing. Sometimes opportunity and fortune interfere with plans. In fact, usually opportunity, or lack thereof interferes with plans. I have no doubt that at the moment, two RB's is the plan. If someone with the talent of, say, Swinney wants to come to AU the plan will suddenly change to three.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Petteway doesn't qualify then they have to take 3. That would leave us with Roc, Barber, and Kerryon after next year

...and whatever freshmen we bring in for 2016.

After next year, it would be those three and whatever other guys we bring in for 2015. The 2016 crowd won't be here until 2 years after next. Personally I'm neither here nor there on the three back situation. But I don't know that it would be a problem as long as Jovon is one of them. For me it's almost like he doesn't count as far a roster management is concerned. He's more of a bonus in my opinion, but a huge bonus if we do end up landing him.

If Petteway doesn't qualify then they have to take 3. That would leave us with Roc, Barber, and Kerryon after next year

...and whatever freshmen we bring in for 2016.

After next year, it would be those three and whatever other guys we bring in for 2015. The 2016 crowd won't be here until 2 years after next. Personally I'm neither here nor there on the three back situation. But I don't know that it would be a problem as long as Jovon is one of them. For me it's almost like he doesn't count as far a roster management is concerned. He's more of a bonus in my opinion, but a huge bonus if we do end up landing him.

You know, I sat there and thought and thought before posting that, and somehow still screwed up the math. Man. I'm going to step away from the keyboard (but not the laptop) and quit stinking up this otherwise excellent thread. WDE, carry on...

Taking a 3rd RB this year, makes it more unlikely to land a top-notch RB in 2016. I would guess that the staff has a plan of taking 1-2 each year.

This.

And give me a stud like Kareem Walker anyday in 2016 over a 3rd RB in this class given it is likely to be an either or.

I don't see Swinney wanting to come to AU as 3rd RB. He might want to know if we continue to recruit JR if he were to commit. Most of these elite running backs want early pt and want to be the man for a couple of years then move on to the next level. It can be an advantage to have a 3* like Barber, who is willing to redshirt and be patient.

I don't see Swinney wanting to come to AU as 3rd RB. He might want to know if we continue to recruit JR if he were to commit. Most of these elite running backs want early pt and want to be the man for a couple of years then move on to the next level. It can be an advantage to have a 3* like Barber, who is willing to redshirt and be patient.

I do not think any of these kids think of themselves as the 3rd RB. Thyy all think they can get PT based on how they show their talent in practice. Swinney is a good one.

This.

Aha... that makes sense. Disregard all my previous opinions on this matter :)

Plans are one thing. Sometimes opportunity and fortune interfere with plans. In fact, usually opportunity, or lack thereof interferes with plans. I have no doubt that at the moment, two RB's is the plan. If someone with the talent of, say, Swinney wants to come to AU the plan will suddenly change to three.

So, if they take three RBs and have to juggle the numbers around, does this mean that they replace a potential LB with a 3rd RB? :drippingsarcasm7pa: Just Kidding!!

I do appreciate all the information that you guys put out. Thanks to all of you.

This.

And give me a stud like Kareem Walker anyday in 2016 over a 3rd RB in this class given it is likely to be an either or.

How about over Malik Miller?

This.

if we were taking three freshman, then yes this would make sense. Jovon is realistically a one and done, would you have not wanted the staff to grab Duke Williams last year too in order to add one more this year?

I meant more along the lines of is he a take for us if we want him? Or is he one of the up in the air "COULD commit to us". We're talking like he is a take for us.

I meant more along the lines of is he a take for us if we want him? Or is he one of the up in the air "COULD commit to us". We're talking like he is a take for us.

Talent wise, we'll take him if he wants to commit. I have no way of knowing whether he has grade issues or other baggage that might make the staff move slowly.

He's been one of the most consistently recruited backs for us over the last 2 years. KJ, Patrick, and Swinney have always been the top three in some order. The Jovon dynamic was something no one anticipated based on the agreement with the NCAA under the old staff. It's a nice wrinkle, but a wrinkle none-the-less.

He's been one of the most consistently recruited backs for us over the last 2 years. KJ, Patrick, and Swinney have always been the top three in some order. The Jovon dynamic was something no one anticipated based on the agreement with the NCAA under the old staff. It's a nice wrinkle, but a wrinkle none-the-less.

So what's the deal with Damien Harris then?

This.

if we were taking three freshman, then yes this would make sense. Jovon is realistically a one and done, would you have not wanted the staff to grab Duke Williams last year too in order to add one more this year?

The way your sentence reads is Jovon as the #3 and that's not the case. Jovon is a slam dunk take all the way for the staff no matter the circumstances. The player in question is Swinney not Jovon. Jovon and Dook are and were both takes because they are both immediate starter and game changer impact material. I don't see that in Swinney. I doubt a 2016 kid like Kareer knows enough about Jovon to know he is likely 1 and done. He's likely just gonna see 3 RBs sign if we take Swinney and move us down his list. I'll take Walker all day over Swinney, especially since we'll have a year of Jovon playing, Barber, Roc, Pettway if he gets in, Kerryon, and Rudy if need be to get us to the 2016 season when Kareem is in college. That's plenty of thoroughbreds to get us to the 2016 season.

That's the healthy discussion going on here. Some sources say Yes Swinney is a take. Others are saying he has to now wait in Jovon. There is no definitive answer yet and there may not be one either depending how things play out.

That's the healthy discussion going on here. Some sources say Yes Swinney is a take. Others are saying he has to now wait in Jovon. There is no definitive answer yet and there may not be one either depending how things play out.

I don't care if we take another. If Harris wants to commit, great. I'm not knocking the alternatives, but we have two awesome 2016 class prospects, and Jovon really shouldn't affect anyone else unless he commits and gets hurt after he enrolls, and ends up staying two years. I can easily see Jovon starting next year, with Roc and Barber backing him up, and with Roc and Kerryon splitting the speed back responsibilities.

This.

The way your sentence reads is Jovon as the #3 and that's not the case. Jovon is a slam dunk take all the way for the staff no matter the circumstances. The player in question is Swinney not Jovon. Jovon and Dook are and were both takes because they are both immediate starter and game changer impact material. I don't see that in Swinney. I doubt a 2016 kid like Kareer knows enough about Jovon to know he is likely 1 and done. He's likely just gonna see 3 RBs sign if we take Swinney and move us down his list. I'll take Walker all day over Swinney, especially since we'll have a year of Jovon playing, Barber, Roc, Pettway if he gets in, Kerryon, and Rudy if need be to get us to the 2016 season when Kareem is in college. That's plenty of thoroughbreds to get us to the 2016 season.

I don't think he was trying to imply that Jobon was a #3. He was just saying that in all likelihood Jovon would never be on campus at the same time as any 2016 recruits, and thusly shouldn't negatively affect their recruitment.

I'm pretty sure no staff in America is limiting 2015 signees at any position because of how that would appear to some 2016 recruit.

Sometimes common sense has to be applied. Managing your 2015 class to appease what some guy that might be interested in your program might think about it the next year defies any and all measures of common sense.

I'm pretty sure no staff in America is limiting 2015 signees at any position because of how that would appear to some 2016 recruit.

Sometimes common sense has to be applied. Managing your 2015 class to appease what some guy that might be interested in your program might think about it the next year defies any and all measures of common sense.

I agree. I'll take talent now over potentially landing talent later. You have to be greedy with recruiting.

Well I don't think we'll be waiting to find out. Apparently Swinney is very much a take, and we would happily take all 3 if we could. Can't link but I wouldn't play games with you guys.

Well I don't think we'll be waiting to find out. Apparently Swinney is very much a take, and we would happily take all 3 if we could. Can't link but I wouldn't play games with you guys.

giphy.gif

So what's the deal with Damien Harris then?

Just came into the picture within the last few months. He is certainly a take, but if Swinney is also and ready to pull the trigger I doubt we wait on Harris (UK lean anyways I believe).

Archived