Vandy Problems....looks like it can happen anywhere

AU64

Sadly, this kind of thing tends to go hand-in-hand with success on the field.

Really? Does it have to? I don't think so. There will be problems all over, just check the newspaper. Not sure it is measured by being successful or not though.

Really? Does it have to? I don't think so. There will be problems all over, just check the newspaper. Not sure it is measured by being successful or not though.

Yes, really. These kinds of things happen, more often than not, with the players who have been treated as if they are above the rules and who start to believe just that. Sure, the occasional bad apple can pop up anywhere, but when you you have multi-player incidents of this magnitude, it signals that you brought in players who have let their success on the field go to their heads.

Always figured the Vandys of the world had a little higher class of athletes (academically) who were therefore smart enough to avoid obvious problems. As an example, as I've watched UNC lower the standards of their basketball athletes in recent years, the incidents of problems in and out of school have increased. Just as "lion" has suggested, I'm afraid there is indeed a correlation between athletic success and behavior problems off the field....or perhaps it's just the athletically successful schools where anyone is paying attention to the police reports.

Yes, really. These kinds of things happen, more often than not, with the players who have been treated as if they are above the rules and who start to believe just that. Sure, the occasional bad apple can pop up anywhere, but when you you have multi-player incidents of this magnitude, it signals that you brought in players who have let their success on the field go to their heads.

Sorry, I disagree. This could happen at Slippery Rock or at a JUCO program. Furthermore, it can be student's or student/athletes anywhere who don't follow the rules and laws. It just gets more notoriety when it happens at a major program. It's a societal problem IMO.

I agree with both: It can and does happen anywhere, and can and does happen with non-athletes. But I also believe that star athletes at major programs are more likely to feel a sense of entitlement and invulnerability because of the adulation, hero worship, and special treatment they receive.

Vandy appears to be handling this correctly. This happened a week ago and they only took a week to kick them off the team and out of school. Hopefully Vandy and the Nashville police have their act together and are not like the people running Duke and the Durham police department.

Also a little surprised more details haven't come out. I understand and respect that police cannot/should not comment on an ongoing investigation, and of course the University has to deal with confidentiality issues, but would have thought an industrious reporter would have tracked down some relatives, eyewitnesses, victims, or acquaintances with something to say by now. Maybe sometimes the media can still show some patience for the sake of accuracy or due process.

Also a little surprised more details haven't come out. I understand and respect that police cannot/should not comment on an ongoing investigation, and of course the University has to deal with confidentiality issues, but would have thought an industrious reporter would have tracked down some relatives, eyewitnesses, victims, or acquaintances with something to say by now. Maybe sometimes the media can still show some patience for the sake of accuracy or due process.

Except if it's Auburn involved. Then it's a no-holds barred race to the rumor and innuendo finish line.

Most of the media in Tennessee probably still don't know that Vandy plays football. The media corps in Alabama is unlike any media anywhere....vultures who feed off the anger and paranoia of the state's football fans. They will ride a simple story for years if they get the chance...and if there is no current news, they will go back a few years and drag up some salacious old news story to re-hash. I'm still waiting on the first interview by Scarb or someone with inmate #1755748 describing his new life in jail and his recollections about the armed robbery at an AU trailer park. Look for something like that on al.com about a week before National Signing Day.

Most of the media in Tennessee probably still don't know that Vandy plays football. The media corps in Alabama is unlike any media anywhere....vultures who feed off the anger and paranoia of the state's football fans. They will ride a simple story for years if they get the chance...and if there is no current news, they will go back a few years and drag up some salacious old news story to re-hash. I'm still waiting on the first interview by Scarb or someone with inmate #1755748 describing his new life in jail and his recollections about the armed robbery at an AU trailer park. Look for something like that on al.com about a week before National Signing Day.

I promise you if the criminals were Vol players, it'd be all over the Tennessee headlines.

Sorry, I disagree. This could happen at Slippery Rock or at a JUCO program. Furthermore, it can be student's or student/athletes anywhere who don't follow the rules and laws. It just gets more notoriety when it happens at a major program. It's a societal problem IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that our society is taking a long scary ride in the proverbial hand basket.

Except if it's Auburn involved. Then it's a no-holds barred race to the rumor and innuendo finish line.

Obviously! We're everyone's piñata these days. Seems like they'd eventually get tired of swinging at us story after story, blow after blow, and still no candy falling out.

I agree with both: It can and does happen anywhere, and can and does happen with non-athletes. But I also believe that star athletes at major programs are more likely to feel a sense of entitlement and invulnerability because of the adulation, hero worship, and special treatment they receive.

Is Vandy really a major program now?

Nope - Vandy turned in their best season in almost a century of their football existance in '12. They only beat one (1) team in the regular season that finished with a winning record ----> Ole Miss. Sorry, but when you beat (2-9) Presbyterian, (3-9) Auburn, (1-11) UMass, (2-10) Kentucky, (5-7) Vols, etc. folks can look at the final record and place your team in categories they probably don't belong in.

I gotta say it's weird as hell for this latest news to be so quiet. Four SEC football players "may have" raped a girl in the athletic dorms of Vandy - they get kicked off the team and ejected from the University and we STILL don't know the names of the players?????????

Seriously, what are the chances of news of this sort being kept on the down-low in states like Alabama/Georgia/California/Texas/Florida? It just wouldn't happen, IMO.

Nope - Vandy turned in their best season in almost a century of their football existance in '12. They only beat one (1) team in the regular season that finished with a winning record ----> Ole Miss. Sorry, but when you beat (2-9) Presbyterian, (3-9) Auburn, (1-11) UMass, (2-10) Kentucky, (5-7) Vols, etc. folks can look at the final record and place your team in categories they probably don't belong in.

I gotta say it's weird as hell for this latest news to be so quiet. Four SEC football players "may have" raped a girl in the athletic dorms of Vandy - they get kicked off the team and ejected from the University and we STILL don't know the names of the players?????????

Seriously, what are the chances of news of this sort being kept on the down-low in states like Alabama/Georgia/California/Texas/Florida? It just wouldn't happen, IMO.

Won't happen if it this took place at UT Knoxville either. Private schools like Vandy can shield what they are doing longer that public schools can. Part of the problem at Penn State was they were in some strange status in the state of Penn where they were treated more like a private college than a public college. I think due to the low funding levels they get from the state.

https://sunshineingov.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/cnn-notes-exemption-complicates-reporting-on-penn-state-scandal/

Then after they get in trouble they want to claim liability protection due to being part of the state government.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-15/penn-state-government-ties-may-limit-liability-from-scandal-moody-s-says.html

• 5 weeks later...

Hammer down!! Each of the four were indicted today on 5 counts of aggrevated rape (15-25 years each), plus 2 counts of aggrevated assault. One kid has already been arrested and warrents are out for the other three, who reside out of town. If convicted, these kids could spend the rest of their lives behind bars. Wow!!

I think it can be avoided but it seems that more often than not you are right. During the Tubs era we had a lot of success including the 2004 season and did so with almost no off the field issues. One of my favorite things about Tubs.

They have it coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all four are pcs. of *&^%

I could not have said it better. Hope they do every minute of their sentences!

I hope they experience the same treatment in prison as they gave their victims. Strange as it is that is one thing prisoners despise more than anything is a rapist. Nighty night boys better sleep with one eye open.

I hope they experience the same treatment in prison as they gave their victims. Strange as it is that is one thing prisoners despise more than anything is a rapist. Nighty night boys better sleep with one eye open.

They don't particularly like child molesters, either. It's good to see those offenders getting what they have coming, too.

Archived